Page 44 of 57 FirstFirst ... 34394041424344454647484954 ... LastLast
Results 861 to 880 of 1128
Like Tree12Likes
  1. #861  
    Quote Originally Posted by Enox View Post
    Dtzwill, I've been using VBA since your first release. Still very impressed. Keep it up man. Imagine how much this will blow up once Palm drops a new device! Ever thought about porting a SNES Emulator?

    I certainly wouldn't mind seeing a copy of ZSNES making its way onto my Pre.
  2. #862  
    Quote Originally Posted by Zen00 View Post
    I certainly wouldn't mind seeing a copy of ZSNES making its way onto my Pre.
    I wonder how difficult this would be..?
  3. #863  
    zsnes is not possible, another snes emu like snes9x for sure. Would love to see one too.
  4. #864  
    In reference to earlier posts about the Classic NES games series working not on VBA for webos, I had them working just fine on my Pre prior to the latest update, but they have not worked since. No complaints though, the improved speed is really nice. The Roms for the classic NES series did not work without tweaking... I found two ways to get them to run. It has been a while but you either had to apply an ips patch to fix the Rom, or you had to create a file called Vba-over.ini that changed something about the save file. If you do a Google search for VBA classic NES you'll find several forum posts that address this. I don't think any of these fixes work with the latest version of VBA for Webos yet.
  5.    #865  
    Quote Originally Posted by knewgie View Post
    In reference to earlier posts about the Classic NES games series working not on VBA for webos, I had them working just fine on my Pre prior to the latest update, but they have not worked since. No complaints though, the improved speed is really nice. The Roms for the classic NES series did not work without tweaking... I found two ways to get them to run. It has been a while but you either had to apply an ips patch to fix the Rom, or you had to create a file called Vba-over.ini that changed something about the save file. If you do a Google search for VBA classic NES you'll find several forum posts that address this. I don't think any of these fixes work with the latest version of VBA for Webos yet.
    Curious. My own bit of research suggested that those fixes only worked on vba 1.8.0 or greater--VBA for webos is based on 1.7.2 because it's faster. However, ifI VBA (for webOS) has regressed in this manner, I can definitely work to make it work again. Thanks for the report!

    --Also, I added a vba-over.ini that is shipped with VBA now to help alleviate these kinds of issues (in latest release). Maybe the settings are wrong? Now it just launches with a black screen, which I attributed it to reports you needed 1.8.0 for it to work. However if you have settings that make things work (even on an earlier release of VBA) let me know and I'll add them in .
    Quake
    thread
    VisualBoyAdvance
    thread App Cat
    X11/XServer/Xterm
    thread
    SuperNES
    thread App Cat


    If you like my work, please consider donating or buying VBA!
  6. #866  
    dtzWill, I saw some comments in the beta app feed, and one guy said "I wish you could go full screen with controls. No one realizes that you can press Opt + W for this, or Opt + Q for skin switch.

    Maybe a disclaimer or something somewhere?
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
  7. #867  
    I looked at it again, and I had the version of VBA on my computer using the vba-over.ini, which is version 1.8.0. When I got the Classic NES Roms to work on my Pre, I had used a patch on the Roms themselves. This patch allowed the Roms to work on the old version of VBA webos, but not in the latest version. It has been a while since I did it, so I don't recall the details of this patch, or exactly where I found it....
  8. #868  
    the latest Version is great dtzWill
    most games run fullspeed with sound @800Mhz.

    btw, i updated the wiki a bit with new Video/Screensho, updated Changelog and a bit more.

    @all:
    please test your games with the latest version and update the compatibility List!
  9. #869  
    any chance of a toggle turbo?
  10. #870  
    You did it!!! Legacy of Goku now works with the new version!! And now there's even sound! how could it get any better?
  11. #871  
    I am having fun with Final Fantasy VI @ 800mhz, but my phone gets really hot and my battery is taking a beating...now i just need the psx emulator for FFVII, or at least get them to take part in the pdk hot apps contest!
  12. #872  
    I just really wish it had a virtual stick instead of a d-pad. It's virtually unplayable with my thumbs and I don't even have huge hands.... Or that if you drag ur finger off the d-pad that it'll still move. I wanna play zelda (any of them) so bad but I can't so please please fix this for me and many others
  13. #873  
    Since the PDK apps use a different directory, you can't use the media/internal/vba folder anymore right? So if I were to doctor, would I not lose my gamesaves/etc? Or can this be backed up with Save/Restore?

    Or am I mistaken?
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
  14.    #874  
    Quote Originally Posted by VenpaCasa View Post
    I just really wish it had a virtual stick instead of a d-pad. It's virtually unplayable with my thumbs and I don't even have huge hands.... Or that if you drag ur finger off the d-pad that it'll still move. I wanna play zelda (any of them) so bad but I can't so please please fix this for me and many others
    This has come up before--and I agree the d-pad is a bit difficult to use.

    However, I don't understand what people mean when they say they want a virtual joystick instead. I'm sorry if I'm being dense, and a patient clear explanation would be appreciated.

    Since I'd like to improve the d-pad, or at least make sure it's as good as we can get it, here's my thoughts on the matter and from that perhaps you can tell me what I don't understand/your ideas.

    The way I see it the most obvious difference of a virtual joystick is rendering a moving joystick in response to moving your finger (like in quake, or better yet like in some of the commercial games).

    However I get the feeling people aren't asking about the joystick rendering (helping via visual feedback or something), but rather a different algorithm to convert touch location to something to give the GBA. If this is wrong and people are just wanting a different visual I can do that, although short of some convincing it won't be a high priority.

    The rest of this is assuming we're talking about a different method for interpreting screen presses and turning those into something the GBA can use.

    First--remember the GBA has a d-pad which is what all the games use for directional input. This means that the 'up' button is either pressed or not pressed, same for down, left, and right 'buttons'. There is no degree to which 'up' is pressed, it's either pressed or it isn't.

    Joysticks, on the other hand, are good for games/situations that have degrees to which a direction is pressed--this works well in FPS's, again like in quake--where you want to be able to control the speed at which you move, and whatnot.

    Since each button (up/down/left/right) has to be either pressed or not, one way to view the d-pad is with an area for each button such that when a finger is in each area the corresponding button is pushed down. Of course it makes sense to have these areas partially overlapping such that you can with a single finger do 'up/right', etc.
    (More abstractly, we need to define (x,y)->{0,1} for each button, which is probably best visualized as each button having an area in which the button is considered pressed)

    The present scheme defines the 'd-pad' as a circle, where 'up' is from 30 degrees to 150 degrees (30 short of 180). The remaining button areas are similarly configured (rotated appropriately). There also is a deadzone circle in the middle for which button presses are *not* counted to give you a neutral place to rest your finger/etc. This is similar to pushing directly on the middle of a physical d-pad--nothing happens.

    FWIW the size of the deadzone (how far from the center of the dpad you have to move before your press is recognized) and the size of the dpad (how far you can move from the center before your press is ignored as no longer being on the dpad) are both configurations of the skin designers.

    All that said and done (so you understand where I come from, and why things are the way they are), what does it mean to have a "virtual joystick" (how does that work?) and how would it be better?

    Again I'll readily admit I'm no fan of the current system and am rather eager to improve upon it. Sorry for the long explanation but hopefully it encourages a discussion that is useful and we can get this resolved so we can all rescue princesses and fire off hadoukens .
    Quake
    thread
    VisualBoyAdvance
    thread App Cat
    X11/XServer/Xterm
    thread
    SuperNES
    thread App Cat


    If you like my work, please consider donating or buying VBA!
  15.    #875  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakeeeee View Post
    Since the PDK apps use a different directory, you can't use the media/internal/vba folder anymore right? So if I were to doctor, would I not lose my gamesaves/etc? Or can this be backed up with Save/Restore?

    Or am I mistaken?
    Doctoring will delete your saves, unfortunately. This is due to saving in the app now, because 1.4.5 won't let people (by default) write to /media/internal.

    Some people are working on a Save/Restore script that will let Save/Restore backup your vba saves/settings, but AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $that$ $isn$'$t$ $completed$ $yet$.
    Quake
    thread
    VisualBoyAdvance
    thread App Cat
    X11/XServer/Xterm
    thread
    SuperNES
    thread App Cat


    If you like my work, please consider donating or buying VBA!
  16. #876  
    Quote Originally Posted by dtzWill View Post
    Doctoring will delete your saves, unfortunately. This is due to saving in the app now, because 1.4.5 won't let people (by default) write to /media/internal.

    Some people are working on a Save/Restore script that will let Save/Restore backup your vba saves/settings, but AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $that$ $isn$'$t$ $completed$ $yet$.
    Using Internalz, could I potentially go into the folder in which the apps are saved(cryptofs/applications?) and get the saves from there and put them back after a doctor?
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
  17.    #877  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakeeeee View Post
    Using Internalz, could I potentially go into the folder in which the apps are saved(cryptofs/applications?) and get the saves from there and put them back after a doctor?
    Absolutely you can. They're in the 'sav' folder within the vba application directory.
    Quake
    thread
    VisualBoyAdvance
    thread App Cat
    X11/XServer/Xterm
    thread
    SuperNES
    thread App Cat


    If you like my work, please consider donating or buying VBA!
  18.    #878  
    Quote Originally Posted by shaffaaf27 View Post
    any chance of a toggle turbo?
    Implemented in git, should be in next release.
    Quake
    thread
    VisualBoyAdvance
    thread App Cat
    X11/XServer/Xterm
    thread
    SuperNES
    thread App Cat


    If you like my work, please consider donating or buying VBA!
  19. #879  
    hey dtzwill! first of all great work man!...the gba emu is great and has opened up the possibility to play and discover many classic games ive never played before... anyways i just wanted to know if you had any plans to do like a psx emulator for webos?? since the psx4webos seems to have gotten scrapped...
  20. #880  
    Save/restore has been updated so that the script I was working on for VBA now works. I posted with the script attached in this post in it's thread for anyone who is wanting to manually add it until it is included in the next release.
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions