Page 26 of 57 FirstFirst ... 16212223242526272829303136 ... LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
    FEATURE REQUEST!

gameshark codes
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by newone757 View Post
    THANKS for the tip. i have big hands as well and dont lift my finger from the dpad, this works perfect, now i can finally play action games!!

heres a theme without the a and b buttons because i map them to the keyboard (f and r). Ill have to play with the screen size to see whats the best size i can get out of it but for now ill just upload this
    First, I'd like to say that VBA rocks! newone, I've been using your skin and like it a lot! Now if only we can rotate VBA to landscape with the volume keys facing up (hard keys to the left), I'd like to see a skin similar to yours but instead use hard keys for the directional buttons and 'A' 'B' onscreen buttons. I've been having too hard a time using the onscreen d-pad (especially when heading right) so a layout like this would be ideal!
    This is great. I was able to get a few Mario games to work. Thanks for all your work.
    one question why the screen of the games is so small and the controls cover the most of the space?
  5.    #505  
    Quote Originally Posted by SISGO View Post
    one question why the screen of the games is so small and the controls cover the most of the space?
    This has been discussed to death. Grrrrrrrr.

But I understand it's a long thread (really), just ... I've explained this a lot. Not your fault, forgive my grumbling .

Firstly, take a look at the wiki (see sig). For real, it has a good amount of useful information, even if it's not the prettiest.

Second, to answer your question--it's for usability. The larger controls are something early testers found most useful (in contrast to larger screen and "unusable" controls). Of course everyone has a different opinion and so to accommodate this I implemented skinning support, something the community has happily (thanks all! ) taken advantage of, and as a result the app now ships with a few skins.

Not only are skins different looks, but they have different button layouts/sizes, as well as different screen location/sizes.

Orange+q (slash) will cycle through the skins installed. Not only do they look different, but have different layouts, so hopefully you can find one you like. If not, create your own (it's easy!) or perhaps post back and request what you want that's different and maybe some generous artist will take you up on that.
    Quake
    thread
    VisualBoyAdvance
    thread App Cat
    X11/XServer/Xterm
    thread
    SuperNES
    thread App Cat

If you like my work, please consider donating or buying VBA!
    Quote Originally Posted by dtzWill View Post
    This has been discussed to death. Grrrrrrrr.

But I understand it's a long thread (really), just ... I've explained this a lot. Not your fault, forgive my grumbling .

Firstly, take a look at the wiki (see sig). For real, it has a good amount of useful information, even if it's not the prettiest.

Second, to answer your question--it's for usability. The larger controls are something early testers found most useful (in contrast to larger screen and "unusable" controls). Of course everyone has a different opinion and so to accommodate this I implemented skinning support, something the community has happily (thanks all! ) taken advantage of, and as a result the app now ships with a few skins.

Not only are skins different looks, but they have different button layouts/sizes, as well as different screen location/sizes.

Orange+q (slash) will cycle through the skins installed. Not only do they look different, but have different layouts, so hopefully you can find one you like. If not, create your own (it's easy!) or perhaps post back and request what you want that's different and maybe some generous artist will take you up on that.
    sorry but like you said is a long, long thread... And thanks for your reply, now I undertand why , I really love this app and also have some games working niceeee... I'll donate you guys tomorrow and one more time thanks for make or pres the iphone killer ( hopefully) !!!
    Global Posts
    396 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by flipcap22 View Post
    First, I'd like to say that VBA rocks! newone, I've been using your skin and like it a lot! Now if only we can rotate VBA to landscape with the volume keys facing up (hard keys to the left), I'd like to see a skin similar to yours but instead use hard keys for the directional buttons and 'A' 'B' onscreen buttons. I've been having too hard a time using the onscreen d-pad (especially when heading right) so a layout like this would be ideal!
    I love this idea I thought about it for a second once because I thought about how it would be good on quake for the pre and wondered if they would do it. I think this is the best possible solution because I too have a very hard time with the directional pad onscreen
    Hi, I'm sorry if this has already been suggested (I have not been keeping up with this thread) but I think adding diagonals for the d-pad would be extremely helpful (for both the keyboard and on screen controls). I often have a hard time hitting both up and left/right at the same time and that can make certain games much harder to play. Otherwise, all I can say is that you are doing a great job and I really appreciate all the work that you have put into VBA. Thanks!
  9.    #509  
    Quote Originally Posted by distrait View Post
    Hi, I'm sorry if this has already been suggested (I have not been keeping up with this thread) but I think adding diagonals for the d-pad would be extremely helpful (for both the keyboard and on screen controls). I often have a hard time hitting both up and left/right at the same time and that can make certain games much harder to play. Otherwise, all I can say is that you are doing a great job and I really appreciate all the work that you have put into VBA. Thanks!
    I'm working on making the d-pad better, just pending lots of testing. .

For what it's worth, there already are diagonals, they're just not drawn on any skins. If you're finding it hard to use, try playing with joy_deadzone and joy_radius in the controller.cfg of your favorite skin.

Happy gaming
    Quake
    thread
    VisualBoyAdvance
    thread App Cat
    X11/XServer/Xterm
    thread
    SuperNES
    thread App Cat

dtz will can you please help me I'm the guy that just gets the white screen when I load any rom please help I don't have acess to a computer just my palm pre and the link you gave me to go to does not seem to work on my palm pre please help me
  11. ird
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    Is there any way to manually bind keys to diagonals? Like say I wanted my keys like this...

E - up
    D - Down
    S - Left
    F - Right
    W and R (Up left, up right)
    Z and C (Down left, down right)

Awesome work on getting this working by the way
    Quote Originally Posted by ird View Post
    Is there any way to manually bind keys to diagonals? Like say I wanted my keys like this...

E - up
    D - Down
    S - Left
    F - Right
    W and R (Up left, up right)
    Z and C (Down left, down right)

Awesome work on getting this working by the way
    Please read the wiki linked on the first post.
    pretty much my pre just got 15000000 times cooler!!!! =) and as for the skin debate that seems to be going i actually take off the overlay and am juat workin at muscle memorizing the key layout, makes for bigger game screen!!!! so far ive tried three games and all have worked perfectly... wow you guys at internals just rock... and to thing a month ago we were all raving cuz we had doom, now we have literally tonssss of free games and awesome 3D games!!!! so glad i got this phone!!! =) =) keep it up guys!!!! =)
    hehe ALLL of my iphone mates were jelous in calc when i whipped out pokemon red. Made feel proud lollllll. Is it possible we have a thread/post with all the skins? And a tutorial on how to make our own. Can wealso add a toggle foe turbo?
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    This link is the closest I've found to a skin thread. It's empty compared to all the skins here.
    cheers
    im on 1.3.5 but it wont open when i tap on it and i have a couple of roms installed too what can i do?
    hey guys one more question about this awesome app.
    how I unmute the sound in the games?... I kill the sound with orange + z and I was trying to unmute pressing again the same but the sound is still mute!
    I'm hoping this should be a relatively minor change: is it possible to name the folders for either the skins folder or the whole vba folder to have a period preceding the name? That should stop having the skins images show up in my photos app.
  20.    #520  
    Quote Originally Posted by cantstopengland View Post
    I'm hoping this should be a relatively minor change: is it possible to name the folders for either the skins folder or the whole vba folder to have a period preceding the name? That should stop having the skins images show up in my photos app.
    This is a good point, and I've already got it done for the next release. Sorry for cluttering your photos .
    Quake
    thread
    VisualBoyAdvance
    thread App Cat
    X11/XServer/Xterm
    thread
    SuperNES
    thread App Cat