Page 23 of 57 FirstFirst ... 13181920212223242526272833 ... LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by shaffaaf27 View Post
    yeah i agree, though i have read everyword of this thread, and continue to
    Heck Yeah, me too. I think this is my third post on this thread. Also, this is the first one I check when I visit this site. This is one of the most exciting things I have seen on a phone. (That and Jason's Mobile Hotspot!) I down loaded this when dtzwill first posted it. I thought is was cool, but now with the skins and other things he has added....it is simply AMAZING!!!

What's next?...Time travel, the ability to make me fly...Ha ha jusk kidding! I am just so blown away with what the homebrew crew has been able to add to my phone. Makes me VERY PROUD to own this phone.

Thanks again dtzwill!!!!
    Yeah we need a subforum. That would be great.
    I like how it says it supports zip folders but it really doesn't you don't see the game anywhere
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    my last comment got blown by with no answer so I'll try again.

how about some haptic feedback on the touchscreen controls. I think it would help.
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    Use 'Search this Thread' at the top of the page if you have questions. I see many questions that are already answered and posters getting angry no one answered their repeated question quick enough.

Haptic was brought up, the devs will try it. Search the thread for 'haptic' and see for yourself.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spare View Post
    Use 'Search this Thread' at the top of the page if you have questions. I see many questions that are already answered and posters getting angry no one answered their repeated question quick enough.

Haptic was brought up, the devs will try it. Search the thread for 'haptic' and see for yourself.
    thanks total fail on my part. I have read most of the posts in this thread but must have missed it.

btw big props to the devs this makes my iphone friends jealous
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    I've edited the wiki with a few bits of info. Most noticeable is a screenshot mockup of the current version.
    Quote Originally Posted by jordan23945bulls View Post
    I like how it says it supports zip folders but it really doesn't you don't see the game anywhere
    It absolutely does support zipped roms... It does NOT support zipped folders. from the wiki

As of 1.1.0, there is zip file support
    If you put all of your roms in a folder and zip it up, VBA will not see the ROMs (but it never claims to be able to, so no biggie there).

However if you compress each ROM individually (which is how they are commonly created/(found), it will be able to load the ROM out of that zip file.

It is all in the difference between file and folder... pretty much though, one ROM per zip file.
    Last edited by cryptk; 01/27/2010 at 02:09 AM.
    Not sure anyone has done this yet, but I was tweeking the dead zone for one of the skins provided by another user, and found that lowering the dead zone from 25 to 15 for the joypad really improved the touchscreen joystick for me. I have HUGE thumbs, and being able to just slightly move my thumb around the dpad on screen really made playing games like Zelda or even Golden Sun so much more enjoyable. Just feels more natural. When playing any game with a dpad, i notice i never really lift my thumb off the dpad to go another direction. I just kind of press on that side of my thumb for whichever direction i need. If that makes any sense...haha.
    Quote Originally Posted by Enox View Post
    Not sure anyone has done this yet, but I was tweeking the dead zone for one of the skins provided by another user, and found that lowering the dead zone from 25 to 15 for the joypad really improved the touchscreen joystick for me. I have HUGE thumbs, and being able to just slightly move my thumb around the dpad on screen really made playing games like Zelda or even Golden Sun so much more enjoyable. Just feels more natural. When playing any game with a dpad, i notice i never really lift my thumb off the dpad to go another direction. I just kind of press on that side of my thumb for whichever direction i need. If that makes any sense...haha.
    I'd like to try your edit.
    I've noticed on pretty much all the skins the D-pad to go right is a bit off.
    Up, Down, and Left all feel alright, but I always have a problem trying to move right.
  11.    #451  
    Quote Originally Posted by Spyral View Post
    I've edited the wiki with a few bits of info. Most noticeable is a screenshot mockup of the current version.
    Thanks! I've been dying for a screenie. If I can make myself remember, I'll include it in next release--it'd be nice to have a screenshot in preware .
    Quake
    thread
    VisualBoyAdvance
    thread App Cat
    X11/XServer/Xterm
    thread
    SuperNES
    thread App Cat

If you like my work, please consider donating or buying VBA!
  12.    #452  
    Glad you're finding success playing with those values. My testing crew had a hard time agreeing on that variable in particular, which is one reason that making customizable skins/controls was a priority to me--it was more than just looks, it was usability.

I'm curious if others find 15 better than 25? Something a small deadzone made hard for me and testers was hitting a direction and simply that direction. Although I do believe that 15 was at the low end of the range of values we found playable .

Anyway, glad you're able to change those things and finding that you can make it more useful .
    Quake
    thread
    VisualBoyAdvance
    thread App Cat
    X11/XServer/Xterm
    thread
    SuperNES
    thread App Cat

If you like my work, please consider donating or buying VBA!
    In reference to a good way to do the joystick.

So here are my thoughts on how the joystick should be done, and they are pretty much in line with what has been explained so far.

At this point I am going to ask that you take a quick look at the image attached, I know it is a little small, but I wanted it to be close to the actual size it would end up being on the pre screen.

For a layout like that, you could specify all of the parameters needed to draw it with 4 settings in a configuration file for the skin.

1. Center point for the joystick
    2. Radius of the joystick (how big is the outer circle)
    3. Radius of the deadzone (how big is the inner circle, this MUST be a smaller number than the joystick overall radius, else throw an error.)
    4. Prime direction angle (this must be less than 90, else throw an error).

You could throw in an optional 5th spec for rotation angle of the joystick as a whole to be able to rotate it so that the center of the up direction wouldn't be perfectly up, you could cant it left or right (most common would probably be twisting it clockwise) to compensate for the fact that most peoples hands will be at a slight angle when holding the pre (unless their arms come out of their nipples of course...)

From these specs you can create the whole joystick layout. I feel that most of them are obvious except for possibly number 4 so I will explain it.

If you know the number of degrees that the user would like the prime directions to be (U, D, L, R) you can create the mappings for all 8 directions with the following formula).

Assuming that X is the user input angle.

Check if X <= 90 else throw error
    (360-4X)/4 = Y
    Y = degrees of combined directions (UL, UR, DR, DL)

basically X would be how wide are the areas that count for U, L, R, D and then you can calculate how wide the rest of the areas are allowing for the end user to completely spec out their joystick in 4 (optionally 5) entries.

This would also allow the user to make it so "further right" would count as right instead of having the "I am all the way right, but slightly up, so it is counting as UR even though I am as far right as it can go..." syndrome (due to the cones).

Any questions feel free to ask.
    Attached Images Attached Images

THANKS for the tip. i have big hands as well and dont lift my finger from the dpad, this works perfect, now i can finally play action games!!

heres a theme without the a and b buttons because i map them to the keyboard (f and r). Ill have to play with the screen size to see whats the best size i can get out of it but for now ill just upload this
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by newone757; 01/27/2010 at 03:04 AM.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    is there a way to make the screen go back to using the keyboard
    right now I just deleted all the skins and its running full screen sideways
    I like the keyboard better than the screen
    is there a way to add which way to play it or do I have to revert back a version or two?
    Once you are in Hell, Only the Devil can help you

Click To See My Themes

If you have any theme requests email me at Pardoe@live.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Pardoe View Post
    is there a way to make the screen go back to using the keyboard
    right now I just deleted all the skins and its running full screen sideways
    I like the keyboard better than the screen
    is there a way to add which way to play it or do I have to revert back a version or two?
    just press orange + @ two times
    Quote Originally Posted by newone757 View Post
    THANKS for the tip. i have big hands as well and dont lift my finger from the dpad, this works perfect, now i can finally play action games!!

heres a theme without the a and b buttons because i map them to the keyboard (f and r). Ill have to play with the screen size to see whats the best size i can get out of it but for now ill just upload this
    Nice one next week i will have some spare time to play with the themes myself and i will place the a and b buttons on the bottom in landscape and get a bigger screensize.
    is there a collective skins thread
    Quote Originally Posted by cryptk View Post
    In reference to a good way to do the joystick.
    So here are my thoughts on how the joystick should be done, and they are pretty much in line with what has been explained so far.

At this point I am going to ask that you take a quick look at the image attached, I know it is a little small, but I wanted it to be close to the actual size it would end up being on the pre screen.

For a layout like that, you could specify all of the parameters needed to draw it with 4 settings in a configuration file for the skin.

1. Center point for the joystick
    2. Radius of the joystick (how big is the outer circle)
    3. Radius of the deadzone (how big is the inner circle, this MUST be a smaller number than the joystick overall radius, else throw an error.)
    4. Prime direction angle (this must be less than 90, else throw an error).
    This is the exact same thing purposed by dtzWill on the last page, my post about it even contains a similar drawing.
    Really great app...I love it