Page 17 of 57 FirstFirst ... 7121314151617181920212227 ... LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by smackswell View Post
    I have to say, you've done an excellent job on this emulator and I will be donating shortly.

A couple of comments.

1. A horizontal or vertical B A layout would be preferable to the small screen size. I understand that there are limitations given the touchscreen's precision, but I'm sure there's a happy medium. D pad at the bottom left. Start/select in the bottom middle since that space is going unused. Idk how often the L and R buttons are used for the majority of advance games, but putting them as close as possible to the edge of the screen would help with screen size. I'm more than happy to occasionally miss L and R if I can see better. Better yet, you could put L to the right of the D pad, R to the left of B, and Start/select right above.
    Again, you have to remember the screen's aspect ratio in GB/GBC mode.

If ANY buttons are placed under the screen, you're not going to be able to make the screen any bigger, because you can't simply make it wider (well, you can, but it'd look horrible and make everything look fat. Think old TV shows stretched to fit an HDTV). When you make the screen wider, it must also be taller, and that makes things very difficult.

And I have tested controls that are just placed along the side. It is not comfortable nor usable, hardly worth the tradeoff. The placement of the A/B buttons currently is making the best use of the screen real estate given the the limitations.

That said, I would recommend everyone wait until the next release (especially skinners), when this will be customizable. I will be giving dtzWill a second skin that will allow users to select between the current, and a dpad-only layout for larger screen.

2. Maybe my phone is the only one, but occasionally after closing the app my phone freezes and requires a battery pull. Happened 4 times now. Has anyone else had this issue? Haven't isolated what prompts the problem.
    My phone has never done this with VBA. And I'm a tester

Not saying it is impossible, but I've yet to run into it.

3. What kind of battery life are people getting while playing? Playing with radio on/WiFi and BT off, and using the keyboard gets me about an hour of gameplay at 50%. What are other people's results?
    I can usually get close to 3 hours out of it, but yes it does eat the battery significantly. Keep in mind that the CPU is typically pegged at around 50% CPU for GBC games with sound on, and 100% for any VBA games. You'll get slightly better battery life out of GB/GBC games, but it's still very hard on the system. Smartphones aren't built to have their CPUs pegged at full power for extended periods.

Quote Originally Posted by kel101 View Post
    hi love the new addition of touch screen controles, but the screen is far too small, maybe if you moved the dpad a little down as well as the ab buttons and moved the triggers to above the screen, you could make the screen wider?
    Again, as has been said multiple times, this is not going to help. If you make the screen wider in this way, it will make everything look ridiculously fat.
    I am perfectly happy with the layout however I would like to request one additional change...

Could you move the screen to the right a bit? The problem I have been having is my thumb hides a small portion of the screen when use the right part of the D-Pad. If you could place a larger separation between the D-Pad and the screen...Im sure it would solve the problem and maybe make using the D-Pad's right button a little easier.

Right now I find I am having problems moving my character to the right..so I dont know if this would solve the problem or not....

just a friendly suggestion...
    I think this is just AWESOME, AWESOME, AWESOME!!! I think the virtual controls are the way to go for sure. Huge improvment! I love being able to play these games and not have to open the key board. Just the closed shape of the Pre makes it fun to play with. I have no suggestions, but I do love the way it's progressing. You guys are coming out with things I would have never thought of. I guess I'm just loving the ride.

GREAT WORK guys! THANK YOU!!!!
    how about a turbo toggle on the screen for pokemon?
    freaking awesome! i love the touch controls!
    i love the way the onscreen buttons work. One small change could be make the screen a bit larger and also the button to go right is a bit off but no big deal..

Thank you for all your work!!! you guys rock specially now we can customize the controller skin.. amazing work!!!!
    Ivan's Themes main thread

Oklahoma Sooner theme

If you would like to because you like my work or you just want to buy me a drink I would really appreciate it.
    Quote Originally Posted by ivan1.ruiz View Post
    i love the way the onscreen buttons work. One small change could be make the screen a bit larger and also the button to go right is a bit off but no big deal..

Thank you for all your work!!! you guys rock specially now we can customize the controller skin.. amazing work!!!!
    +1 I agree!!! Great work and again, the button to go right IS a little off....but if you can separate the screen and the D-Pad....it might help
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    This has probably already been brought up, but could we have a resolution and button layout more like this? The screen res is the same ratio as the original but is scaled up slightly: (292 x 195).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I agree we needs a skins section. Here's my contribution. It goes with my blue theme.
    Attached Images Attached Images
  10.    #330  
    Quote Originally Posted by vtecbrown View Post
    This has probably already been brought up, but could we have a resolution and button layout more like this? The screen res is the same ratio as the original but is scaled up slightly: (292 x 195).
    Hold on to those customization desires, I'm hoping to make a release soon that allows skin creation, and toggling between them, etc.

Then everyone who has a skin idea can modify the wiki to include theirs and the best ones will be included with VBA by default. Which ones included will be decided by me/VincentLaw, but I'm sure we can be reasonable. That said, it will also make adding skins not packaged easier and we certainly don't intend to stifle creativity (but understand we can't include EVERYONE's favorite skin)

That said 292x195 doesn't sound like any aspect ratio I know of:

gba: 240x160: 1.5
    gb/gbc: 160x144: 1.1111

292x195: 1.4974359

Other than that (which is an easy fix), that skin looks amazing (err I'm not sure who created it originally, props to you ) and here's hoping we can work to provide more good skins for everyone.

EDIT:
    To be more clear, this skin support will also give the skin creator control over screen size, button locations, etc. I really want to be able to make use of all your good ideas, and give you the tools to put them into action. I'll announce it when it's ready .
    Last edited by dtzWill; 01/24/2010 at 03:53 PM. Reason: clarity
    Quake
    thread
    VisualBoyAdvance
    thread App Cat
    X11/XServer/Xterm
    thread
    SuperNES
    thread App Cat

If you like my work, please consider donating or buying VBA!
    Looking forward to it!
    That sound really cool
    i think we have to add a skin section to the wiki after you implemented it.
    im really looking forward to make one and see what all other people come up with

looks very cool, but i think start/select should be moved to the middle, so you dont accidently press them while controlling the dpad.
    Why not just make the landscape screen as big as it can proportionately be, and overlay the screen controls right over the image, like you guys did with Quake?
    That was planned by dtzwill, but as far as i know it caused huge slowdowns that he couldnt fix yet.

btw, you can get fullscreen + touch controls working by playing around with orange + @/W but you have to memorize the buttons locations

EDIT:
    here is how to do it:
    if you are in touchscreen mode (with skin and everything) press orange + @
    now you should be in fullscreen mode but turned 180, now press orange + W and after that orange + @ 2 times.
    now take a screen protector and mark the onscreen buttons on it :P
    Last edited by Sonic-NKT; 01/24/2010 at 04:26 PM.
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    I love that skin!! it needs to be the defualt!!
    cant wait for the customization!!!!!!! im def gonna get in on it
    Quote Originally Posted by sracercelica View Post
    True! that's why donating to the developer is important
    I know. I sent a $5 donation yesterday. It's so crazy to me that years and years ago I was playing ROM's on Emulators that could barely work, and now I'm playing ROM's with a depenable Emulator on a cell phone that is basically a mini-laptop! I would have never imagined this would be possible.
    what about keeping it in portrait mode, using the space above for L and R and the space below for dpad and A&B?
  19.    #339  
    Quote Originally Posted by sracercelica View Post
    what about keeping it in portrait mode, using the space above for L and R and the space below for dpad and A&B?
    While I might put that back in the future, testing with that made it clear that that idea didn't pan out as nice as it seems.

The issue is with the pre's touchscreen/touchscreen driver/etc. Basically it's issues in parts of the device beyond my reasonable control, and possibly limitation of the hardware itself.

The issue is this: when you hit the screen with two fingers, there's a minimum distance at which it decides it's the same finger (or the same finger moving). An easy example of this is hitting the screen with two fingers at once, it's a single click.

When I implemented portrait touchscreen controls, having the d-pad AND buttons across vertically hit this limitation and 'right' on the dpad ended up conflicting with the 'b' button, making it entirely unplayable.

While it might be possible to create a special config with buttons flat against the far side to make this configuration work, that seemed a bit intense and so for now portrait controls are out of the picture.

Hope this helps/clarifies...
    Quake
    thread
    VisualBoyAdvance
    thread App Cat
    X11/XServer/Xterm
    thread
    SuperNES
    thread App Cat

If you like my work, please consider donating or buying VBA!
    the touchscreen controls are brilliant, great job guys. Thank you

one suggestion:

could you make the volume buttons work as L and R?
    Then just turn it upside down and it would be even more playable!!