Page 15 of 57 FirstFirst ... 5101112131415161718192025 ... LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
    I have been playing with VisualBoy and I am really impressed! This is the type of app that normally cost money. I wish I knew how to make apps like this.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    I think the best implementation of on screen controls would be an option to have JUST a d-pad on the screen, using hardware buttons for everything else (in landscape with the keyboard slid out). That way we can use more of the screen and make use of the fact that the Pre has a hardware keyboard.
    my biggest feature request / suggestion is to implement some type of auto frame skip or frameskip selector per game. With frameskipping, many GBA games would run much smoother
    Quote Originally Posted by the2ndflood View Post
    I have been playing with VisualBoy and I am really impressed! This is the type of app that normally cost money. I wish I knew how to make apps like this.
    True! that's why donating to the developer is important
    Quote Originally Posted by Tag234 View Post
    my biggest feature request / suggestion is to implement some type of auto frame skip or frameskip selector per game. With frameskipping, many GBA games would run much smoother
    Not from my testing. Any game running in the ~85% speed or less range will not ever reach playable speeds at any sensible frameskip. I had to get frameskip up to 9, with audio /off/ in order to make Pokemon FireRed 100%.

Unfortunately, at frameskip 9, you're looking at anything but smooth gameplay. A frameskip of 3 is generally considered the limit for smooth gameplay, and that's already 20 frames per second.

That said, if you wish to try it yourself, you may access your /media/internal/vba folder (where your roms/ folder resides) and edit the VisualBoyAdvance.cfg. Add frameSkip=2, where 2 is the number of frameskip you want to try. This is not supported and editing this configuration can cause VBA to not work properly, so you're on your own if you try it.
    What about placing the A B and R button horizontal on the bottom of the screen, i think it would be still possible to push A and B at the same time. And this way you could increase the screensize.

And wow i am impressed how fast the touch controls where implemented. That is just great.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayer View Post
    What about placing the A B and R button horizontal on the bottom of the screen, i think it would be still possible to push A and B at the same time. And this way you could increase the screensize.

And wow i am impressed how fast the touch controls where implemented. That is just great.
    Nope, can't increase the screen size at all that way. You could stretch it sideways, but that looks terrible. Keep in mind aspect ratios.

Also @ the person suggesting using the keyboard and onscreen:

It's been discussed and there's really nothing against it, it's just another layout to do.
    what about transparent buttons so thst the display can be seen better. Also... This may sound stupid for gameboy, but let me explain. The d pad is a tad hard to use due to it being small and not having feedback, however, if it was a joystick, one could easily manipulate the direction the character moves without worrying about letting go of the button. The joystick can stretch out making it easier to cange directions. This would be especially good for games with overhead views. So a transparent set of controls over a nice sized display sounds good
    i'm liking the onscreen controls but I'm not liking the new screen size, way to small. Anyway to go back to the old screen size, even if I have to continue using the keyboard?
  10.    #290  
    Quote Originally Posted by sracercelica View Post
    i'm liking the onscreen controls but I'm not liking the new screen size, way to small. Anyway to go back to the old screen size, even if I have to continue using the keyboard?
    From a previous post:
    Quote Originally Posted by dtzWill View Post
    Absolutely, check the wiki for the controls, including toggling touchscreen as well as orientation.
    I do my best not to add new features without keeping a reasonable way to keep the old defaults etc, so chances are there's a way to go back.

Enjoy .
    Quake
    thread
    VisualBoyAdvance
    thread App Cat
    X11/XServer/Xterm
    thread
    SuperNES
    thread App Cat

If you like my work, please consider donating or buying VBA!
    I second the idea of using a virtual joypad and overlayed/transparent buttons on top of the screen, it would increase game screen size, and make it less difficult to lose track of what directional button you are pressing. Similar to how it is in quake.
  12.    #292  
    Transparent controls were, of course!, considered.

However, due to the way the emulator works that's presently not an option.

Sorry to disappoint, and I'll work on it as I can--but for now that's a no-go.

The hope is that we can find a good control scheme (or schemes) that don't require an overlay and get the best of everything--on screen controls, reasonable screen size, clear view of the screen, and decent performance.

(The performance comment is why transparent controls are a no-go: for now they absolutely kill performance, making "even" gb/c games unplayable)
    Quake
    thread
    VisualBoyAdvance
    thread App Cat
    X11/XServer/Xterm
    thread
    SuperNES
    thread App Cat

13.    #293  
    A joypad is an interesting idea.

The dpad actually is not implemented presently as a 'real' dpad--as in 4 separate buttons, but it currently *is* a joystick, just like the one in quake. This was done to make diagonals significantly easier and more natural.

The only difference is in quake there's a concept of how /fast/ you move in a direction--that is each axis can have a range of values, but here each direction is either active or it's not.

Anyway, internally it's a joypad like quake already is all I'm saying . Not transparent and on top of the screen, but same idea.

Hope this helps/clarifies.
    Quake
    thread
    VisualBoyAdvance
    thread App Cat
    X11/XServer/Xterm
    thread
    SuperNES
    thread App Cat

Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    Would adding haptic feedback to on screen controls for each button press help?
    Hmm then i guess my only complaint with the joypad is if i move my thumb too far from it, which often happens, it becomes unresponsive, whereas in quake, i can keep turning or walking if my fingers extend beyond the reach of the pad. That and the actual position of the internal joypad seems off when compared to the visual d-pad.
  16.    #296  
    Quote Originally Posted by Indecom View Post
    Hmm then i guess my only complaint with the joypad is if i move my thumb too far from it, which often happens, it becomes unresponsive, whereas in quake, i can keep turning or walking if my fingers extend beyond the reach of the pad. That and the actual position of the internal joypad seems off when compared to the visual d-pad.
    Yeah this is slightly annoying.

However early testing showed that if we supported that (bigger joy range) then people had a tendency to drift away from center. Unlike quake where your speed in the game gives you feedback, the binary nature of each direction (on/off) makes it hard to tell.

The result is that you'll be moving right/up a bunch and slowly shift off center and then go to turn the OTHER way and completely fail at doing so--and either run into a hole/off a cliff/into an enemy, which was frustrating.

So it was intentional to keep it small--so if you move too far away you know it, "train"ing you to stay near center.

That said, everyone has preferences and I don't know that the defaults I shipped are the best, just that we tried to make them good .

On a related note, absolutely NO ETA, but a future release will contain the ability to add/create/use 'skins' which will be customizable so hopefully between myself and VincentLaw (who does the artwork thus far) and the community we can create controls to make everyone happy.
    Quake
    thread
    VisualBoyAdvance
    thread App Cat
    X11/XServer/Xterm
    thread
    SuperNES
    thread App Cat

17.    #297  
    Quote Originally Posted by spare View Post
    Would adding haptic feedback to on screen controls for each button press help?
    Haptic sounds very interesting! I'll add this to the todo, it might really help solve the problem of knowing where the controls are.

Good idea .
    Quake
    thread
    VisualBoyAdvance
    thread App Cat
    X11/XServer/Xterm
    thread
    SuperNES
    thread App Cat

Do you plan on implementing visual feedback as well, say an alternative image for a pressed button, as to add a kind of virtual realism to using buttons along with possible haptics?

EDIT: I can provide 3d graphics for the gui if you want, to aid with the virtual button press alternatives, add some depth and what have you.
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dtzWill View Post
    Haptic sounds very interesting! I'll add this to the todo, it might really help solve the problem of knowing where the controls are.

Good idea .
    Cool, hope it works.

Also, anyone else having a tough time performing 'press A+B simultaneously' actions? I could pull it off sometimes but it seems there's a really small window where it'll register if two on screen buttons were pressed simultaneously.
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    Is there anyway to migrate back to fullscreen with keypad use? the lag on the touchscreen controls are unbearable right now, and I can't seem to figure out how to change orientation!