Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 160 of 451
  1. #141  
    Quote Originally Posted by Major Payne View Post
    I have seen alot of talk about germany and such. I was wondering if this will work in the US on a Verizon Pre Plus
    Well, it's using Palm's location-services, so it is independent of the hardware. I would expect it to work just fine. Would be interesting to try it on a Pixi, should work there too (it has GPS, doesn't it?).
  2. #142  
    Quote Originally Posted by Major Payne View Post
    I have seen alot of talk about germany and such. I was wondering if this will work in the US on a Verizon Pre Plus
    i think it should do because you select the maps yourself depending on where in the world you are, for example im in the uk so im using a uk map and its working fine
  3. #143  
    Ok, Maybe I'll attempt this tonight
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

    Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
  4. vreihen's Avatar
    Posts
    495 Posts
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    #144  
    Quote Originally Posted by Major Payne View Post
    I have seen alot of talk about germany and such. I was wondering if this will work in the US on a Verizon Pre Plus
    That's what I'm currently running it on! As long as you can live with metric distances, it seems to work on my Pre+...with a disclaimer that I still have not taken it for a drive yet. Be aware that there are alleged problems with the Pre+ and GPS accuracy, and they may show up in Navit. I had to start & close VZ Navigator to give the GPS a kick after a reboot. (You don't need to pay for VZ Navigator, just launch the program and swipe the card closed when it prompts you to subscribe.)

    The big gotcha for those of us outside of Europe is that the bundled maps for North America are not available for quick download. You will need to go to the web site link above and build your own map bundle. I dragged the mouse across an area about 200 miles on every side of where I live, and the resulting map file took quite a while to download and was 72 megs large. My recommendation is to not try and grab the entire USA for your initial test, because it could take a while to download.....
  5. #145  
    great work so far..
    btw, does routing work yet? how does it work?
    i can choose Actions -> Town -> and enter a name and press on the green button, after that it asks for street, but now the accept button is gone, and return key doesnt work..
  6. #146  
    I tried this earlier today, and all I got was a brownish-yellow screen with controls.. the settings and controls seem to work okay, so I'm assuming its the maps that are missing, so I'll try them later.

    just like to say thanks, I remember this on the openmoko (though it was a pain in the *** and didn't work haha). I'll be watching this thread for progress.. quite exciting!
  7. #147  
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonic-NKT View Post
    great work so far..
    btw, does routing work yet? how does it work?
    i can choose Actions -> Town -> and enter a name and press on the green button, after that it asks for street, but now the accept button is gone, and return key doesnt work..
    yeah, we all have the same problem.
  8. #148  
    Quote Originally Posted by Major Payne View Post
    I have seen alot of talk about germany and such. I was wondering if this will work in the US on a Verizon Pre Plus
    Why not?! You only need to take care of the particular maps for your region...
  9. #149  
    Quote Originally Posted by tedrampart View Post
    I tried this earlier today, and all I got was a brownish-yellow screen with controls.. the settings and controls seem to work okay, so I'm assuming its the maps that are missing, so I'll try them later.

    just like to say thanks, I remember this on the openmoko (though it was a pain in the *** and didn't work haha). I'll be watching this thread for progress.. quite exciting!
    yes there's a link i think hape posted in his instructions to download the maps, i find the brownish yellow screen a bit ugly myself but you can change that in settings/dispay/layout then select car rather then car dark.


    ps. To the dev's is it possible to somehow convert the units to miles instead of km?
  10. #150  
    Quote Originally Posted by BrickTop View Post
    yes there's a link i think hape posted in his instructions to download the maps, i find the brownish yellow screen a bit ugly myself but you can change that in settings/dispay/layout then select car rather then car dark.


    ps. To the dev's is it possible to somehow convert the units to miles instead of km?
    yea as you were typing that I had it installing and gave it another shot.. works great, a bit unpolished but hey its working!
  11. #151  
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonic-NKT View Post
    great work so far..
    btw, does routing work yet? how does it work?
    i can choose Actions -> Town -> and enter a name and press on the green button, after that it asks for street, but now the accept button is gone, and return key doesnt work..

    Hey Guys,

    just try to press the X on the left side of Town, then enter the Country and so on and you should have the accept button for the street.
    This just works for me, i hope for you too.

    sorry for my bad english.

    chillamoal
    germansurfer
  12. #152  
    hmm this doesnt work for me, but i can set with this method the town as destination, and routing works this way ...
    cant wait for the next version of this. finally a working navigation for us europeans

    EDIT:
    sorry, yes this works fine was routing to the wrong city where the street was not available...
    thank you very much!
  13. vreihen's Avatar
    Posts
    495 Posts
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    #153  
    Quote Originally Posted by tedrampart View Post
    I tried this earlier today, and all I got was a brownish-yellow screen with controls.. the settings and controls seem to work okay, so I'm assuming its the maps that are missing, so I'll try them later.
    On first startup, the program showed no map until the GPS got a lock. The reason is because it starts out thinking that you are at the north pole until it gets a GPS fix. If you tap the center of the screen and then tap actions, the car icon shows your current location. If it reads zeroes, the GPS is still initializing.....
  14. vreihen's Avatar
    Posts
    495 Posts
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    #154  
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonic-NKT View Post
    btw, does routing work yet? how does it work?
    i can choose Actions -> Town -> and enter a name and press on the green button, after that it asks for street, but now the accept button is gone, and return key doesnt work..
    The map data source(s) only have street name details for Germany and a few other select European countries. For the rest of the world, we can't navigate by entering street names. If you try, there's no accept button for the street name that you type.

    However, Navit DOES navigate between two points on the map, though! What you need to do is scroll through the map by swiping your finger, until your destination is on the screen. I suggest making use of the + and - icons to zoom in/out to make scrolling faster. Zoom in tight on your destination, then tap on your destination on the map. When the main menu pops up, tap on Actions. Notice that the globe icon has different GPS coordinates than the car icon? The globe icon is your destination. If you tap on it, you will get a menu where you can choose to bookmark it, set it as your destination, and some other choices. If you set it as your destination, Navit will go into navigation mode and start giving you directions to get there. I recommend bookmarking your locations, so that you don't have to scroll through the maps every time that you want to go there.

    Not exactly intuitive, but Navit is still very much a work in progress.....
  15. shinebar's Avatar
    Posts
    31 Posts
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    #155  
    Routing to a Bookmark works fine, in 2d as in 3d(!) Routing works much faster than I expected (okay, my trips were all < 10km).

    The only "problem" I discovered are some missing icons for POIs - but this isn't WebOS specific, but a general problem: #476 (Some icons don't exist with the extention mentioned in the supplied navit.xml (navit/navit_shipped.xml) file) – Navit - the Icons are referenced als PNG (eg. heliport.png) but only available as xpm.

    Really great work!
  16. #156  
    I am in Australia. It works for me. I have got the same problem that I am not able to select town and street. But point to point works. I have not tried the voice yet. The route is marked but it is too fat and does not really intuitive. I had it on for about an hour and it did not crash so far (Unlock GSM Pre, 1.4.1).

    I must thank you guys for the great work. It is the only function that I really miss from my treo 650. Can't wait for the next version.
  17. #157  
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonic-NKT View Post
    great work so far..
    btw, does routing work yet? how does it work?
    i can choose Actions -> Town -> and enter a name and press on the green button, after that it asks for street, but now the accept button is gone, and return key doesnt work..
    First for the search to work you need to select your current country, then town, then street. You choose the street from the list it offers you while you type in the name.
  18. #158  
    Quote Originally Posted by noradtux View Post
    First for the search to work you need to select your current country, then town, then street. You choose the street from the list it offers you while you type in the name.
    I think most can gather how to do it, but in alot of countries you dont get a drop down menu for the street name
  19. #159  
    Tried it in Stuttgart, Germany with the OSM Germany map. Searching for streets works, if you know that you must select the country at first.
    Really good work, thanks a lot.
    You really should join the hot apps competition, shouldn't be too hard to win some money with this application.
  20. #160  
    Quote Originally Posted by meister772000 View Post
    Tried it in Stuttgart, Germany with the OSM Germany map. Searching for streets works, if you know that you must select the country at first.
    Really good work, thanks a lot.
    You really should join the hot apps competition, shouldn't be too hard to win some money with this application.
    i don't get an option to select a country?
Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions