Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 71213141516171819202122 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    578 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zepnik View Post
    I want it sooo baad... Please help him so I can see hebrew maps
    Bad news for all with non European fonts. I talked to the Navit team (Contacts - Navit's Wiki). This was the answer:
    ( 11:00 hape ) cp15: One question to the routing. WOuld it be possible to set the
    navigation.item[1].street_name to 'calulation route' while a rout is calculated or
    recalcualted.
    ( 11:01 nibbler ) hmm yep, sd card should be used, you are right there.
    ( 11:01 nibbler ) but if app has access to sd-card, it could download the map itself and write it to sd?
    ( 11:01 hape ) morning by the way
    ( 11:02 chollya ) that's why i don't like android - it's way too closed and google have too much control
    ( 11:02 @ cp15 ) Well, I wouldn't do that directly... But I am thinking about making something like a
    html osd which would allow navit expressions so you could so something like
    route.status>=32:navigation.item[1].street_name:"Calculation in progress"
    ( 11:03 hape ) sounds good for me. The problem is that the calcualtion can take 20-30 seconds on the
    pre and the suer is not sure if Navit is still working
    ( 11:03 hape ) By the way two other questes.
    ( 11:04 nibbler ) chollya, i dont see that, where is the google-control there?
    ( 11:04 chollya ) nibbler: for example "The app can't contain any data that must go to the sd card" it
    is quite a synthetic restriction
    ( 11:04 hape ) Is there support for chiniese language? They only see blocks instad of charaters. But
    I guess that is a fon problem not containing the charaters
    ( 11:05 hape ) and is there a way to switch from km/h to miles/h?
    ( 11:05 @ cp15 ) Yep, we use microsoft arial which only contains western characters
    ( 11:05 @ cp15 ) hape, not right now, but if I remember right there is a patch in the trac somewhere
    ( 11:06 hape ) can the font bes switched in the xml definitions or is this hardcoded while compiling?
    ( 11:07 nibbler ) chollya, sd is not always available, i guess thats the reason. apps themself can
    access the sd card and manage data on them
    ( 11:08 @ cp15 ) Well, there is a font attribute in the layout tag but I am not sure whether it
    actually has an effect
    This mean you can try to change to an other font in the xml but we do not know if navit ignores it or if the Pre has a font that can be used.
    So someone how is interested in it needs to join in.

Same here for the miles display. If someone finds the patch in the Navit trac db and help to implement it ....

HaPe
    Quote Originally Posted by HaPe View Post

Same here for the miles display. If someone finds the patch in the Navit trac db and help to implement it ....

HaPe
    Found this in the trac but have no idea what to do with it.....

Patch to add imperial measurements

Can anyone help?
    I just spent the last 3 hours reading this entire thread. Interesting, but a lot of it is way too technical for the average Verizon Pre Plus user who has no navigation app option besides VZ Navigator.

My thanks to those who have invested so much time developing this Alpha Version.

It seems that HaPe posted "instructions" on how/where to download the Navit ipks in post #129.

I can figure out how to download the zip file and install the IPKs via WOQI. However, I am having difficulty obtaining the maps for my area. I would like maps to include the area including New York State, south through South Carolina. Unless the size of the file prohibits, best case scenario would be able to download map info for the entire USA.

The Planet Extractor only shows a blank white box when I attempt to open the page. The OpenStreetMaps wiki does not include a USA map.

I would appreciate any help on this matter. Thanks.
  4. rpr
    Global Posts
    216 Global Posts
    @AlbanyHDTV: try here:

CloudMade Downloads
    Pilot 1000 -> Palm Pro -> Palm III -> Handspring Visor -> Palm V -> Palm TX -> Palm LifeDrive -> Kyocera 6035 -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    Maybe somebody can point me in the right direction.

I got the ipk files (the main program, the speech synth and the US language file) installed. I then created a folder using the USB connection, named it MapsNavit and copied the CloudMade .bin file for my local state (ohio).

I can launch the program and after a few seconds this...

(for some reason I couldn't get a screen capture to work when it was maximized)

I'm guessing the blue dot is my GPS position so that's working.

Any idea why the map layer isn't loading?

Also, are there supposed to be buttons loading at the bottom?

Thanks for any help.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nethan View Post
    I'm guessing the blue dot is my GPS position so that's working.

Any idea why the map layer isn't loading?

Also, are there supposed to be buttons loading at the bottom?
    My first comment is that the R: number (GPS position accuracy, in meters?) is *way* too high compared to anything that I've ever seen. When my GPS is working properly, that value varies anywhere from 3.0 to around 50.0. Mine reads 1000.0 when the GPS circuit is hung and the phone is using only cell tower positions. Hence, your 1813.0 seeming way out of line.

When Navit first starts up, it uses the north pole as it's initial position (if I recall correctly) until it gets an initial GPS fix. Your map layer problem may be that the GPS point is still at the north pole, or perhaps outside of the Ohio map that you have installed. If you tap on the center of the screen and tap on actions, there will be an icon of a car and an icon of a globe. The car icon is your current position, and should contain a non-zero latitude and longitude if your GPS is working and has a fix. Verify that those coordinates are in Ohio before you dig any deeper into the maps as the cause of the missing layer.

The buttons at the bottom of the screen are only there when Navit is navigating between two points. Otherwise, they should be blank.

If all else fails with the maps, you could download the entire planet.bin if you have 3.5 gigs of free USB flash space in your phone to eliminate the map file as the cause of your problem.....
    Actually, the initial starting point in Navit, if not set otherwise in navit.xml, is Munich, Germany. What you can do to verify if your map is loading is either tapping the screen to get into the menu. Then Settings-Maps and check if there's a binfile:/media/internal/MapsNavit entry and if it is checked. Or you can zoom all the way out, until you no can see a part of the screen non-eggshell-colored. That should be your map-excerpt. Center that part of the map, zoom in and see if the map is working.

To reset the starting position you can do two things:
    Tap to Menu-Actions-City(might be Location, I'm on German locale), there search for your home address. As reported on previous posts, location search is somewhat buggy in the US, so you might be experiencing problems here. As you only have a rather local map you might be fine. When you tap your city, you can either do a street and house search or just set the cities geocode as your position. You would have to redo this step every time you load the app, IIRC.

For a persistent setting, use Internalz, vim, nano or your favourite terminal text editor from your pre or simply mount your Pre via USB, navigate to PRE/.app-storage/file_.media.cryptofs.apps.usr.palm.com.applications.org.webosinternals.org.navit_0/ and in navit.xml edit the line <navit center="your position" ... >. Navit stores coordinates in hexadecimal markup, details about other possible markups can be found in the Navit wiki. Usually, you can find your towns geocode on wikipedia, you'll find your desired code, I'm sure.

As a kind of ease-of-use you can do the following on a windows machine: Hit Win+R, type 'notepad "PATH-TO-PRE/.app-storage/file_.media.cryptofs.apps.usr.palm.com.applications.org.webosinternals.org.navit_0/navit.xml"' (without single quotes), so you don't have to search for the folders nor show hidden files, if you don't already have.

On a Mac you can go to that folder by hitting command+g while in Finder. In the dialogue box, enter "/PREMOUNTNAME/.app-storage/file_.media.cryptofs.apps.usr.palm.com.applications.org.webosinternals.org.navit_0/" (without quotes) and hit return. Edit navit.xml with your editor of choice.

If you're running Linux and are still reading this... Well you should be knowing how to find that xml file...

Have fun with Navit!
    Is any work being done to make the UI WebOs friendly? Or is it too early for that? Hats-off to all who are working on this for all that's already heen done ... But it's the UI that would make this so much more usable, at least for me.

Thanks for everything!
    Awesome work Hape! Thanks!

Tried the german map and it worked pretty well.

Now I'd like to test an australian map. Did anybody try Navit in Australia? What map did you use?

Problem is that i cannot seem to navigate to Australia atm as my GPS always shows my current german location on screen.

Even if I try to set a route it doesn't recognise Australia.

Thanks for your help!

P.S.: Installation was easy. However how do you access the xml files to change the GUI? Do I need an extra programme? Or do you use the unix command in webosquickinstall? I am amateurish at unix and maybe i shouldnt try to play with the GUI at all...

Awesome work Hape! Thanks!

Tried the german map and it worked pretty well.

Now I'd like to test an australian map. Did anybody try Navit in Australia? What map did you use?

Problem is that i cannot seem to navigate to Australia atm as my GPS always shows my current german location on screen.

Even if I try to set a route it doesn't recognise Australia.

Thanks for your help!

P.S.: Installation was easy. However how do you access the xml files to change the GUI? Do I need an extra programme? Or do you use the unix command in webosquickinstall? I am amateurish at unix and maybe i shouldnt try to play with the GUI at all...
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    See post #309. You need to choose the Australian flag in Actions>> Town before you can get Australian towns. The posts here tell you that you must wait for a fix and then the maps will display. You can edit the gui by going to USB mode and changing the xml files on your PC. The location of these files is given in previous posts.
    assuming i have all the locale files, can you tell me where the locale IPKs installs those files? I'll try installing those myself.

(org.webosinternals.locale_de_DE_0.0.1_armv7.ipk,
    org.webosinternals.locale_fr_CA_0.0.1_armv7.ipk
    )
    Global Posts
    578 Global Posts
    Hi folks,

an new version is uploaded and I updated the post => http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...98#post2375298

Here are the changes:
    V100523:
    - new navit version
    - some fixes in the orientation switching
    - the garmin map driver is now included, but untested
    - new skin (if you are updating from an older version you need to delete the xml files in .app-storage/file_.media.cryptofs.apps.usr.palm.applications.org.webosinternals.navit_0/ on the Pre usb drive)
    - new espeak version
    - espeak has now an icon. You can test it by selection the icon.
    - espeak has a queue script if navit sends announcements to quick

Skin PreNav 'navit-gui-PreNav.xml':

Skin Pre 'navic-gui-Pre.xml':

Skin basic 'navit-gui.xml':

Happy testing.

HaPe & noradtux
    Global Posts
    578 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by palmpreacher View Post
    assuming i have all the locale files, can you tell me where the locale IPKs installs those files? I'll try installing those myself.

(org.webosinternals.locale_de_DE_0.0.1_armv7.ipk,
    org.webosinternals.locale_fr_CA_0.0.1_armv7.ipk
    )
    at the moment it is not supported to have two locale packages installed at the same time. If you have enough space on your USB drive then you call install the 'all' locale package. It includes the two you want.

The bug that the link in /usr/lib/locale is not delete is still there. You need to delete it manually before you install the 'all' package.

HaPe
    Garmin driver support up? Great! I'd love to test it as I have unlocked Garmin img files for my locale
    How do I add it to the bin?
    The Wiki Garmin maps - Navit's Wiki is not so relevant to the WebOS project
    Thanks in advance for pointers.
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Very very nice new Skin btw
    Thx for that
    Quote Originally Posted by palmdoc2005 View Post
    Garmin driver support up? Great! I'd love to test it as I have unlocked Garmin img files for my locale

OK I put the 80 Mb Asean map from malfreemaps.com into the MapsNavit folder of media/internal and in the mapset section of navit.xml found in
    .app-storage/file_.media.cryptofs.apps.usr.palm.applications.org.webosinternals.navit_0/
    I entered the line:

Code:
    <map type="garmin" enabled="yes" data="/media/internal/MapsNavit/gmapsupp.img"/>
    I can report that Navit reads the garmin map!
    It seems rather slow and sluggish in response to zooms and will try the navigation functions later.
    Global Posts
    578 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by palmdoc2005 View Post
    It should work the same way as for other maps. The configuration in the Navit wiki is the one you have to look at. Your right that you can ignore the build instructions:
    Code:
     Configure your map source

Now add your first garmin map to navit.xml

<mapset enabled="yes">
                   <map type="garmin" enabled="yes" data="/path/to/gmapsupp.img"/>
           </mapset>

Where you can give it either dskimg file (gmapsupp.img) or a .tdb file
    Some infos from the current chat about the garmin support in the Navit channel. Could be helpful for your tests. Special the debug=4 parameter:
    Code:
    	<mapset enabled="yes">
    	        <map type="garmin" enabled="yes" data="/usr/local/share/navit/maps/gmapsupp.img" debug="4"/>
    	</mapset>
    the user CP15 is one of the main Navit developers.
    ( 07:03 wowon ) Hi ...
    ( 07:04 wowon ) anybody have a good experience on using garmin map gmasupp.img ?
    ( 07:07 wowon ) Anybody can help me with garmin gmasupp.img ?
    ( 07:31 wowon ) Dear all . I post my error at Error with garmin gmasupp.img - Error with garmin gmasupp.img - H8GeNPxb - Pastebin.com
    ( 07:34 @ cp15 ) wowon, unfortunately the garmin driver is a bit orphaned... I fixed a few things some time ago, but
    it still might have problems
    ( 07:35 wowon ) Hi CP15 .. thanks for your enlightment
    ( 07:35 @ cp15 ) If you got to the menu, and click on actions, do the coordinates below the globe roughly match your
    position?
    ( 07:36 wowon ) so .. is there any way to convert *.img files (not gmasupp.img) to Navit Binary ?
    ( 07:36 @ cp15 ) Are you the same person who wrote me a mail?
    ( 07:36 wowon ) cp15 .. wait .. I'll try
    ( 07:37 wowon ) cp5 : Nope , .. it's still at 45 41 39 N , and 44 44 53 E
    ( 07:38 wowon ) cp15 .. yes sir
    ( 07:38 wowon ) cp15: Yes .. i'm the same person
    ( 07:39 @ cp15 ) Then stop navit, do a rm center.txt, start it and check again
    ( 07:39 wowon ) ok .. i'll do it
    ( 07:39 @ cp15 ) Theoretically there is a possibility, but if the garmin driver doesn't work, it won't help
    ( 07:41 wowon ) Dear Martin : Thankyou for your enlightment ... it really work .. I really appreciate
    ( 07:41 wowon ) the garmin driver looks work great
    ( 07:42 @ cp15 ) Well, I am not quite sure whether it is all that great... But if you have some coding skills you
    might help to improve it :-)
    ( 07:42 wowon ) just a couple msg ---> ":garmin_net.c:71:1|:NET: Invalid header type: [GARMIN GMP" .... but the map
    showed
    ( 07:43 wowon ) It's still in my normal workstation ... hmmm time to install it on notebook .. and go down the road
    to tes
    HaPe
    Well the position and speed does work with the Garmin map though the vehicle indicator on the map is not smooth - rather jerky but not bad for an alpha version.
    I guess "bookmarks" are not yet working?
    I am not sure how one can navigate or create routes with the Garmin map + Navit.
    Quote from Navit wiki:

"There is an experimental driver for Garmin IMG maps........
    ............Note that many features are not yet implemented (such as navigation)."

I can confirm that having tried UK Garmin maps on Navit, navigation doesn't work. It's a real shame because the Garmin maps load OK with the garmin map driver and the ones I have are very detailed but there seem to be two problems: Firstly the GPS location seems quite inaccurate (out by about 0.75km) and secondly the "set as destination" command simply doesn't work so you can't use it for navigation. I guess the Navit garmin map driver needs a bit more work yet.......

I like the new skin though