Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 51011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    ok my apologies, I didnt see that. I see the wiki mentions Garmin maps can be used, is it possible to use garmin maps on this version?
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    Ive obtained these maps but im having problems, the maps wont show. It says in the wiki to extract the cab2 file but I always get an error. I tried installing the program and ive got the smp file that way, but im not sure if my way will work. Ive edited my xml to this

<mapset enabled="yes">
    <map type="mg" enabled="yes" data="/media/internal/MapsNavit/*.map"/>
    <map type="mg" enabled="yes" data="/media/internal/MapsNavit/smp2.smp"/>
    </mapset>

is this correct or am I going about it all wrong? Any help would be appreciated and nice work on this by the way
    Last edited by diggedy; 05/08/2010 at 01:45 PM.
    I've tried the latest pre-alpha version of Navit in the UK with both the Cloudmade UK Navit.bin maps and the UK maps from the MarcoPolo Grosser Reiseplanner Europa 07/08 DVD (found in smp5.smp folder). (You can download the MarcoPolo files from Rapidshare by the way although it takes a long time with 32 separate 100MB files). The Cloudmade UK maps don't work at all. They cause Navit to freeze frequently and seem to have lots of artifacts and lines/vectors on the maps radiating out of London which cause Navit great problems. I don't recommend using them at all. The MarcoPolo UK maps are much better resulting in Navit working much more smoothly. The downside is that the maps are not as detailed and don't include many minor roads and smaller streets in residential areas. They also don't have any of the POIs that are included in the Cloudmade maps but generally it is useable for navigation on most roads.
    Could I request that an option be included in the next version for imperial units (miles instead of kilometres and miles per hour instead of km/h)?
    By the way thanks for all your hard work on this project.
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PreGP View Post
    I've tried the latest pre-alpha version of Navit in the UK with both the Cloudmade UK Navit.bin maps and the UK maps from the MarcoPolo Grosser Reiseplanner Europa 07/08 DVD (found in smp5.smp folder). (You can download the MarcoPolo files from Rapidshare by the way although it takes a long time with 32 separate 100MB files). The Cloudmade UK maps don't work at all. They cause Navit to freeze frequently and seem to have lots of artifacts and lines/vectors on the maps radiating out of London which cause Navit great problems. I don't recommend using them at all. The MarcoPolo UK maps are much better resulting in Navit working much more smoothly. The downside is that the maps are not as detailed and don't include many minor roads and smaller streets in residential areas. They also don't have any of the POIs that are included in the Cloudmade maps but generally it is useable for navigation on most roads.
    Could I request that an option be included in the next version for imperial units (miles instead of kilometres and miles per hour instead of km/h)?
    could you give me a quick run down on how you got the marco polo maps to work ie. which files you copied to your pre, how you extracted them (sounds simple but I cant get winrar to extract them from the dvd image) and also how does your xml file look now? I have the maps but ive been unable to get them to work
    Hi Hape,

Thank you very much for your brilliant work.

I am running the current version of Navit. I notice that during the navigation, now and next street names are still the same. I remember someone asked the question before. I am not sure if you got the chance to change it.
    Global Posts
    578 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fengfengw View Post
    Hi Hape,

Thank you very much for your brilliant work.

I am running the current version of Navit. I notice that during the navigation, now and next street names are still the same. I remember someone asked the question before. I am not sure if you got the chance to change it.
    Hi, yes this is fixed. But you only will see the fix if you remove the *.xml files from the folder '.app-storage/file_.media.cryptofs.apps.usr.palm.applications.org.webosinternals.navit_0' .
    Navit will recreate them with the next start with the fixed version. If you have made changes to this files you will need to do them again after Navit created the new once.

HaPe
    Quote Originally Posted by HaPe View Post
    Hi, yes this is fixed. But you only will see the fix if you remove the *.xml files from the folder '.app-storage/file_.media.cryptofs.apps.usr.palm.applications.org.webosinternals.navit_0' .
    Navit will recreate them with the next start with the fixed version. If you have made changes to this files you will need to do them again after Navit created the new once.

HaPe
    Thanks a lot, HaPe. It works based on your instruction.
    Quote Originally Posted by diggedy View Post
    could you give me a quick run down on how you got the marco polo maps to work ie. which files you copied to your pre, how you extracted them (sounds simple but I cant get winrar to extract them from the dvd image) and also how does your xml file look now? I have the maps but ive been unable to get them to work
    I don't think you can use winrar to extract the cab files in the DVD image because they are the "install sheld" type of cabinet file and need to be extracted with unshield. Alternatively you can install the program on your computer and simply copy the files from the folder it installs in. I did the latter and copied the contents of the DEM.map folder (minus the unecessary half dozen *d60* files) plus the contents of the subfolder I needed (for the UK it is the smp5.smp folder) into the /media/internal/MapsNavit folder on my pre. Finally I edited the navit.xml file on my pre in the .app-storage/file_.media.cryptofs.apps.usr.palm.applications.org.webosinternals.navit_0 folder as follows:

<mapset enabled="yes">
    <map type="mg" enabled="yes" data="/media/internal/MapsNavit/DEM.map" />
    <map type="mg" enabled="yes" data="/media/internal/MapsNavit/DEM.map/smp5.smp" />
    </mapset>

It seems to work fine for me. According to the navit wiki the sub-folder smp2contains maps for the countries F,E,GBZ,P,AND,MC but I think "GBZ" means Gibraltar not the UK. Hope this helps.
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    I don't think you can use winrar to extract the cab files in the DVD image because they are the "install sheld" type of cabinet file and need to be extracted with unshield. Alternatively you can install the program on your computer and simply copy the files from the folder it installs in. I did the latter and copied the contents of the DEM.map folder (minus the unecessary half dozen *d60* files) plus the contents of the subfolder I needed (for the UK it is the smp5.smp folder) into the /media/internal/MapsNavit folder on my pre. Finally I edited the navit.xml file on my pre in the .app-storage/file_.media.cryptofs.apps.usr.palm.applications.org.webosinternals.navit_0 folder as follows:

<mapset enabled="yes">
    <map type="mg" enabled="yes" data="/media/internal/MapsNavit/DEM.map" />
    <map type="mg" enabled="yes" data="/media/internal/MapsNavit/DEM.map/smp5.smp" />
    </mapset>

It seems to work fine for me. According to the navit wiki the sub-folder smp2contains maps for the countries F,E,GBZ,P,AND,MC but I think "GBZ" means Gibraltar not the UK. Hope this helps.
    that helps a lot, thank you

May I ask where you got the links, Im struggling to find them.
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HaPe View Post
    About the German accent. Can you please go to Tools>Locale in the menu of Navit and check that the value there is correct. The latest start script i reading the Pre settings db and try to seti it right from that values.
    LANG=en_US.UTF-8

It *is* speaking English, but it has a noticeable accent on some words when it talks. It almost reminds me of Arnold Schwarzenegger whenever it says "ramp" (onto the ramp) or "around" (please turn around). I don't mind that the voice has some personality, but it was difficult to comprehend what it was saying when it was talking at the default 170 words per minute.....
    Quote Originally Posted by BrickTop View Post
    May I ask where you got the links, Im struggling to find them.
    Forum rules don't allow posting of links of this sort but if you were to search forum.mobilism.org for 'Marco Polo Großer Reiseplaner' you might find them... although I can't condone downloading copyrighted material and to be honest you might find paying amazon.de 4.80 for the legal DVD much less hassle than downloading all 32 103MB files!
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    im using the new maps now. They are a hell of an improvement on the open ones but they still dont have enough street level detail. I can find towns and villages but not the streets. Ive got Garmin maps, does anyone know how to make them work?
    Just installed this, and so far it looks great. I was able to get a fix on my location, maps loaded well. might want to mention that when people create the folder for the .bin files, the folder name is case sensetive. Initially I had 'mapsnavit' not 'MapsNavit' and it did not recognize the maps. went back in and changed the file name and voila! Also, not sure if there is a fix for this but it will only recognize one .bin file at a time. I tried to instal more than one, and it will get a fix, but not pull up a map. I will try some navigation this week, and see how it goes. I am very excited about this, as even though I love Sprint Navigation, there are places we go when camping that have no cell service and the maps disapear. I am also going to try this in airplane mode, not sure why it wouldn't work, but it seems to. Also, for those using this in the US. Where did you get your maps. The only link I could get to work was:
    CloudMade Downloads
    and it seems good, but will only give me maps for individual states. I could not get the http://maps.navit-project.org/download/ link to fully load. It would load, but not populate the map so I could select anything. I think this is why if I have more than one map installed it doesn't display. For now, the way I handled this is to create the regular MapsNavit folder and a folder I titled 'unused maps' Using the Internalz app from Canuk Software, I can change the maps back and forth at will. it will make navigation hard from state to state though. for some great work, and where do I donate?
    Last edited by jakelaw; 05/09/2010 at 04:44 PM.
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jakelaw View Post
    Also, for those using this in the US. Where did you get your maps. The only link I could get to work was:
    CloudMade Downloads
    and it seems good, but will only give me maps for individual states. I could not get the http://maps.navit-project.org/download/ link to fully load. It would load, but not populate the map so I could select anything.
    I originally grabbed the maps for a box about 200 miles around home from the second link above, but later grabbed the full 3.5 gig planet.bin file just in case I wound up in a foreign country tomorrow. Navit apparently does not comprehend states in the available data sources, so the text search is useless in most cases. You can scroll to your destination and set a bookmark for it, and then navigate to that bookmark. I personally prefer it this way, because most of the time I'm navigating to a landmark that I can find on a map but don't necessarily know what town it's in or what the exact street address is.....
    Hey is it possible to install garmin maps on the pre if yes how? I read in the navit wiki that navit can handle garmin maps?!
    Global Posts
    578 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by douth View Post
    Hey is it possible to install garmin maps on the pre if yes how? I read in the navit wiki that navit can handle garmin maps?!
    The current package do not contain the Garmin lib. The next version will contain it, as noradtux has added it to the build.
    But it will be totally untested as we do not have time or Garmin maps to test it.
    I'm looking forward to here from you if it is working as soon as the package is out.

Hanspeter
    Don't know if anyone else has noticed this but despite using the gb-eng locale, navit seems to assume cars drive on the right side of the road in the UK! Specifically it shows symbols of roundabouts with an anti-clockwise arrow and seems to calculate which exit of the roundabout to take as if you are driving round the roundabout anti-clockwise ie "take the first exit" instead of "take the third exit". Is this a problem with the base Navit program or just the WebOS version?
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    Is this a problem with the base Navit program or just the WebOS version?
    It's a problem with British roads.....

(From somebody who nearly was run over looking the wrong way when crossing the street in London.)
    Don't know if anyone else has noticed this but despite using the gb-eng locale, navit seems to assume cars drive on the right side of the road in the UK! Specifically it shows symbols of roundabouts with an anti-clockwise arrow and seems to calculate which exit of the roundabout to take as if you are driving round the roundabout anti-clockwise ie "take the first exit" instead of "take the third exit". Is this a problem with the base Navit program or just the WebOS version?
    i get the arrows the wrong way around when it shows you they next turn, but it still tells me and shows me the right instructions on the map