Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    i have installed this as per the instructions on the post containing the download. On the bottom of the screen where the directions are supposed to be shown is just blank and if i try to navigate, it allows me to start navigation but no route shows. Im in the uk if that helps. Any idea what i need to do to fix this?
    I am impressed by your efforts and looking forward to installing the final Alpha version...

Keep your spirits high.
    Let first begin with thanking you guys with the enormous effort you put in to this!!
    The only thing i was lacking as a European Pre user after my dear Treo 680 was a navigation app. en look there it already is!!
    I am glad to also start using it in Holland for testing and reporting feedback,
    thanks again for all the work you have done so far!!
    side note: I was wondering if other phone manufacturer's also have such
    a strong fan base who start their own encoding if the Big company's lack behind?
    one more reason to love my Palm Pre !!
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HaPe View Post
    Looks like this is depending on the language. For German announcements the speed is ok. I would not like to have it slower. The problem is that I do not know any way that a normal user could configure this without making changes to the Navit GUI or an extra espeak setting app...
    In (US) English, espeak is talking pretty fast, seems to have a German accent, and is running words (particularly street names) together so that they are hard to understand in a moving vehicle. I'm from New York state, and the people here already talk pretty fast in natural conversation. There are parts of our country where the people talk so slow that Navit's speech would sound like a 56K baud modem carrier compared with their natural conversation speed!

I was thinking about putting a .ini file in /media/internal/MapsNavit , where normal users could edit a text file to set some basic preferences like voice speed and chime on/off. The chime file should also go here, so that users can use their own custom chime.

What you mean by 'crash'? As you said you had to flicker the card away. For the crashes that I had with older version the card war closed automatically.
    The map stopped moving, and would not respond to any taps on the screen. I tried to bring up the menu, zoom in/out, and mute the speaker, but the only response that I got was webOS "splashes" around wherever I tapped the screen.

I will enable logging and see what I capture if it happens again.....
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by diggedy View Post
    i have installed this as per the instructions on the post containing the download. On the bottom of the screen where the directions are supposed to be shown is just blank and if i try to navigate, it allows me to start navigation but no route shows. Im in the uk if that helps. Any idea what i need to do to fix this?
    Depending on the length of your route, it could take a little while for Navit to plot the route before starting navigation. Also, if it doesn't have a GPS fix, it won't start navigation. Look at the R= number at the top of the screen. If it is reading 1000.0 or 0.0000 (typing from memory here), then the GPS does not have a fix yet.....
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tedrampart View Post
    this seemed to help me when it crashed the last few attempts I've made. Without restarting java, navit wouldn't get a gps lock (or atleast the program would be unresponsive).
    I wonder if you just solved the Verizon Pre Plus GPS problem???

Quote Originally Posted by tedrampart View Post
    This has me wondering something. In location services, there's a preference to use either GPS or Google... do either of these matter? I have them both unselected, and use the modded menu to turn gps on/off.
    Per all of the Verizon GPS problem threads, I have Google off and GPS on. Using the Google service, the phone seems to use cell tower signals to determine your location, and sometimes thinks that you're miles away from your actual position. The reason why they want Google off is because the Pre seems to fall back to it whenever the GPS fix is lost, and you really can't navigate with any accuracy using only cell towers in most parts of the country.....
    Global Posts
    578 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pman_lt View Post
    I have just a couple questions, but first a suggestion, it would be great if someone made a webOS Navit app FAQ, with all the questions on this app.
    Feel fre to start one in the Wiki => Application:Navit - WebOS Internals
    You can take Application:Quake - WebOS Internals as an example.

When I scroll on the map to some place, and then go to settings (double-tapping screen), after going back to Map I'm back to my current location, and not the place I was checking out on a map.
    You can switch this of in Settings=>Rules=>map follows vehicle
    until you start routing.

Another thing (maybe I've missed it on the thread), but screenshots of Navit app are black pic's... Anyway to fix it?
    Screenshots of SDL apps ar not supported by the current WebOS

HaPe
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vreihen View Post
    Depending on the length of your route, it could take a little while for Navit to plot the route before starting navigation. Also, if it doesn't have a GPS fix, it won't start navigation. Look at the R= number at the top of the screen. If it is reading 1000.0 or 0.0000 (typing from memory here), then the GPS does not have a fix yet.....
    I have a gps lock as it tracks me fine and shows my location and tracks me. Is it normal for the bottom boxes to be blank unless there is an active route?

edit : ok your right, it must not have calculated the route. I planned a shorter route and the boxes now have information. Im using the maps as stated in the post but it seems very limited in what it will find, even though my village is shown on the map, it will not find it if I search for it in towns.
    Are there other maps we can use other than through the planet extractor (or previously created ones from the wiki) or is there something else I need to do to get it searching better?
    Last edited by diggedy; 05/05/2010 at 08:10 AM.
    Hi all, thanks for this great app.
    I cannot install it in the emulator (latest on Ubuntu 9.10 amd64)

Using webos quick install (3.12) i get :
    Error: an error occured while attempting to install org.webosinstaranls,navit

return valu=4

cannot find package org.webosinstaranls,navit
    check spelling or run ipkg update

Sorry for mispelling, cannot paste the entire dialog box.

Any hope to get it running on the emulator? TIA
    Quote Originally Posted by davpreuro View Post
    Hi all, thanks for this great app.
    I cannot install it in the emulator (latest on Ubuntu 9.10 amd64)

Using webos quick install (3.12) i get :
    Error: an error occured while attempting to install org.webosinstaranls,navit

return valu=4

cannot find package org.webosinstaranls,navit
    check spelling or run ipkg update

Sorry for mispelling, cannot paste the entire dialog box.

Any hope to get it running on the emulator? TIA
    You cannot install an arm binary on the emulator. You need an i686 binary.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    I wonder if you just solved the Verizon Pre Plus GPS problem???
    hah if it were that easy. if you're on verizon and have the problem, give it a shot? I'm with bell in canada (we have our own issues hah!)

Per all of the Verizon GPS problem threads, I have Google off and GPS on. Using the Google service, the phone seems to use cell tower signals to determine your location, and sometimes thinks that you're miles away from your actual position. The reason why they want Google off is because the Pre seems to fall back to it whenever the GPS fix is lost, and you really can't navigate with any accuracy using only cell towers in most parts of the country.....
    I turned off the google services because I read it was supposed to save battery. So basically what I'm gathering from what you're saying, is google services acts as the assisted gps, and "gps" option is simply hardware gps. If thats the case, then I guess it would save battery life, and wouldn't really play a role in using navit.
    Thank you for your reply, I assume you are correct. Just for my better understanding:
    but the emulator on Vbox does not provide the virtual HW for arm?
    TIA
    Quick Install won't let me load the locale ipk (I tried US and all). I get the following error message:

Do I need to install a separate patch? Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    How good is everybody else's image quality? I think I may be missing some buttons etc...
    Can someone comment on this? Just wondering if I am doing something wrong here...
    Thanks
    Vas
    Last edited by VasTheGreek; 05/05/2010 at 04:49 PM.
    Global Posts
    578 Global Posts
    In (US) English, espeak is talking pretty fast, seems to have a German accent, and is running words (particularly street names) together so that they are hard to understand in a moving vehicle.
    Ok, I test your speed settings tomorrow for German. You are right in english it is pretty fast.
    About the German accent. Can you please go to Tools>Locale in the menu of Navit and check that the value there is correct. The latest start script i reading the Pre settings db and try to seti it right from that values.

HaPe
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jgroomes View Post
    Quick Install won't let me load the locale ipk (I tried US and all). I get the following error message:

Do I need to install a separate patch? Thanks.
    Could you please try the following steps:

1.) Remove the US locale ipk if installed
    2.) ssh into your pre or use the wosqi-console
    3.) Remount the RootFS read / write: mount -o remount,rw /
    4.) remove the symling /usr/lib/locale: rm /usr/lib/locale
    5.) Remount the RootFS read only: mount -o remount,ro /
    6.) Reinstall the locale ipk
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fengfengw View Post
    I am in Australia. I can not find Sydney from Australia's map. Is that possible to show the town and street name when I select a point from the map? I have tried to save a street in Sydney as bookmark and it shows "street_1_city" and "street name". Melbourne is "street_2_city". However, I can find Melbourne as a town but not Sydney.

I know the opensource map is not perfect. If we can directly search street name and under the street name may show city name to distinguish the same street name in different cities, or we can search for a corner, this may help a lot on searching.

By the way, the rotation now is a little bit annoying. Could we have an option in the setting to choose portrait or landscape?
    I cant get Adelaide either, are you having success now?
    Global Posts
    578 Global Posts
    For all Eurpe uses. You can get a good Mapset from Amazon for 5Euro => Marco Polo Großer Reiseplaner 2007/2008 (DVD-ROM): Amazon.de: Software

The disadvantage is that the complete map is 3GB, if you only take Germany and the Major roots of Europe it is still 1GB.

The installation instructions are here => European maps - Navit's Wiki

You can find the Navit.xml in the folder .app-storage/file_.media.cryptofs.apps.usr.palm.applications.org.webosinternals.navit_0/navit.xml on your Pre USB drive. You need to enable the display of hidden files to be able to see the .app-stoarge folder.

I would expect the the Map&Guide maps for other countries will also work. But you need to find a cheep Product that contains them.

HaPe
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    For all Eurpe uses. You can get a good Mapset from Amazon for 5Euro => Marco Polo Großer Reiseplaner 2007/2008 (DVD-ROM): Amazon.de: Software

The disadvantage is that the complete map is 3GB, if you only take Germany and the Major roots of Europe it is still 1GB.

The installation instructions are here => European maps - Navit's Wiki

You can find the Navit.xml in the folder .app-storage/file_.media.cryptofs.apps.usr.palm.applications.org.webosinternals.navit_0/navit.xml on your Pre USB drive. You need to enable the display of hidden files to be able to see the .app-stoarge folder.

I would expect the the Map&Guide maps for other countries will also work. But you need to find a cheep Product that contains them.

HaPe

do you know if this has good coverage of england?
    Global Posts
    578 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by diggedy View Post
    do you know if this has good coverage of england?
    This is what the wiki says:
    Code:
       3.  Now, you should get a directory named like DIRLAN_GER. It contains:

* The dem.map folder with all the majors roads and towns of Europe...
                  * ...and five smpX.smp folders, which contain the details of countries:
                        o smp1: DK,S,N,IS,FIN,N
                        o smp2: F,E,GBZ,P,AND,MC
                        o smp3: Germany
                        o smp4: CZ,SK,RSM,EST,GEO,LV,LT,MD,RUS,UA,BY,GR,H,I,RO,CH,A,PL,AL,MT,CY,BG,FL,SRB,MNE,HR,SLO,BIH,MK,TR,AZ,AM,V
                        o smp5: NL,B,GB,L,IRL 
              Update your navit.xml file accordingly. A sample for Germany would be:
    I do not know how detailed they are as I never installed the program. I only extracted the maps I needed for Navit.

HaPe