Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 389101112131415161718 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 260 of 451
  1. mgmft's Avatar
    Posts
    199 Posts
    Global Posts
    230 Global Posts
    #241  
  2. #242  
    Quote Originally Posted by vreihen View Post
    Other than that, this was the first time that I've ever driven with Navit. It made it the 17 km from home to work without any incident or crashes, and this on a Verizon Pre+ with allegedly flaky GPS hardware.....
    i'm watching this thread with great anticipation!!! i really want a option to vznavigator! whatever bug is preventing the gps radio from choosing the correct location source is ANNOYING!
  3. #243  
    At the moment Navit isn't usable for people in the United States.

    I've mentioned it before, but never got a response, so I assume my question was hard to understand. Is it possible to add the State after the Town in the search results?

    Let me explain...

    1. Go to Menu >> Actions >> Town
    2. Type city name, ie Apex
    3. A dozen cities named "Apex" come up, but there is no way to tell what State they are in, which makes it next to impossible to find the final location.

    There are two ways I can see to solve this.

    1. Put the state after the city name, ie "Apex, NC"
    2. Have an additional drill-down option... that is... Country >> State >> Town, rather than Country >> Town

    Thanks for all the hard work!
  4. #244  
    thought vreihen was using navit here in th USA...
  5. #245  
    If he is, he's either using a very small map, or he lives in a city with an extremely unique name....
  6. hape's Avatar
    Posts
    556 Posts
    Global Posts
    578 Global Posts
    #246  
    Quote Originally Posted by vreihen View Post
    Here's the two scripts that I just slapped together, with no warranty other than that they work for me.
    I tested it today and it worked as it should. The dingdong before the announcement is also good without a headset as you have time to concentrate that a next announcement will come.
    I put the scripts in the git repository shortly and they will be in the next release.

    Thanks for your help.

    HaPe
  7. #247  
    Quote Originally Posted by JustinHoMi View Post
    If he is, he's either using a very small map, or he lives in a city with an extremely unique name....
    I knew that it was mainly used outside the US....
  8. hape's Avatar
    Posts
    556 Posts
    Global Posts
    578 Global Posts
    #248  
    Quote Originally Posted by JustinHoMi View Post
    At the moment Navit isn't usable for people in the United States.

    I've mentioned it before, but never got a response, so I assume my question was hard to understand. Is it possible to add the State after the Town in the search results?

    Let me explain...

    1. Go to Menu >> Actions >> Town
    2. Type city name, ie Apex
    3. A dozen cities named "Apex" come up, but there is no way to tell what State they are in, which makes it next to impossible to find the final location.

    There are two ways I can see to solve this.

    1. Put the state after the city name, ie "Apex, NC"
    2. Have an additional drill-down option... that is... Country >> State >> Town, rather than Country >> Town

    Thanks for all the hard work!
    I see the problem, but I do not know any solution. There would be two ways to solf this:
    1) You contact the Navit Team and ask them to include a state selection => Contacts - Navit's Wiki
    2) One of you how needs this function and have C skills create a patch.
    3) Look if you find a Map&Guide map from that was crated 2006-2008. They are older but more acurate then the OSM maps, even for Germany. That are the Reiseplaner Maps that the Wiki Page is talking about => European maps - Navit's Wiki . Perhaps you can get a travel guide or telephone number application for the USA that contains this type of Maps.

    Keep in mind that we only do a cross compile of an existing project and not the Navit project itself. At the moment we only have one C developer working on the C adoptions for the Pre and he is from Germany and doing it , as me, in his spear time.
    So we both concentrate on the functions that we are interested in...

    HaPe
    Last edited by HaPe; 05/04/2010 at 01:32 PM.
  9. #249  
    Thanks for the reply. I was hoping it was just a configuration issue. I'll contact the Navit devs and see what they have to say.

    I definitely appreciate all that you guys have done!
    Last edited by JustinHoMi; 05/04/2010 at 01:29 PM.
  10. #250  
    Excellent....I installed the latest version. I got the European maps from OpenStreetMap. It works better in 2D than 3D at the moment. Found my location immediately !!! I will try it tomorrow while driving. Looks like I am missing some icons for buttons though...
  11. #251  
    Can one use unlocked Garmin maps withe current alpha version?
  12. vreihen's Avatar
    Posts
    495 Posts
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    #252  
    Quote Originally Posted by mgmft View Post
    Thanks! This one is close enough to work for the time being, until I can find the exact railroad announcement "bing bong" tone that I'm looking for.....
  13. vreihen's Avatar
    Posts
    495 Posts
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    #253  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhodnettejr View Post
    thought vreihen was using navit here in th USA...
    Quote Originally Posted by JustinHoMi View Post
    If he is, he's either using a very small map, or he lives in a city with an extremely unique name....
    I am indeed in the USA, using the entire world's maps (planet.bin), and Montgomery is far from a unique city name. As a matter of fact, there's so many of them that the list goes off the screen and points out the lack of scroll bars in Navit's town selection screen.

    I have been navigating by scrolling through the maps to my destination, and then setting a bookmark for that point. While most would probably prefer entering street addresses, I actually prefer this method and wish that my standalone GPS worked the same way. In my area, postal mailing addresses and town lines frequently aren't the same, and I have been pointed to the incorrect road in a neighboring town more than once with a standalone GPS.....
  14. vreihen's Avatar
    Posts
    495 Posts
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    #254  
    Quote Originally Posted by HaPe View Post
    I tested it today and it worked as it should. The dingdong before the announcement is also good without a headset as you have time to concentrate that a next announcement will come.
    I put the scripts in the git repository shortly and they will be in the next release.

    Thanks for your help.
    No problem. Thanks for your work in making this package a reality!

    I did notice a few things after driving around with these espeak scripts for a few trips now. First thing is that running Pandora *really* slows the phone down! The time lag from when the ding dong sounds until espeak renders the text into audio files is between 3-5 seconds in many cases. If it wasn't for the ding dong, I may never have noticed this! The second thing is that the voice is much more understandable with the slower words-per-minute setting that I used. I may even go another 10 wpm slower, as Navit is still running words like "the ramp" together too much to understand. Of course, that brings up the first point, and potentially delays the announcements even longer.

    On my drive to work today (17km), I had my first Navit crash about two blocks from my destination. I don't follow Navit's suggested route, and suspect that it had a nervous breakdown trying to re-route so many times in the middle of a small city with lots of short roads. I flicked the card to close it, and it went away without a problem.

    I'm not sure that it didn't leave a memory leak behind though, since Navit was running dog slow on the way home. At one point on the Interstate highway, it was showing my location as being 2km behind me. When I stopped at a traffic light, I watched the blue dot catch up. I'll probably reboot before tomorrow to ensure that the RAM is clear, but don't know if this was a memory leak from earlier or a severe lag from running Pandora and Navit at the same time again.....
  15. hape's Avatar
    Posts
    556 Posts
    Global Posts
    578 Global Posts
    #255  
    Quote Originally Posted by vreihen View Post
    I did notice a few things after driving around with these espeak scripts for a few trips now. First thing is that running Pandora *really* slows the phone down! The time lag from when the ding dong sounds until espeak renders the text into audio files is between 3-5 seconds in many cases. If it wasn't for the ding dong, I may never have noticed this!
    Hm, I never run anything in the background while driving. So I can not say anything on the. Only listening to the radio or an MP3 CD ..


    Quote Originally Posted by vreihen View Post
    The second thing is that the voice is much more understandable with the slower words-per-minute setting that I used. I may even go another 10 wpm slower, as Navit is still running words like "the ramp" together too much to understand. Of course, that brings up the first point, and potentially delays the announcements even longer.
    Looks like this is depending on the language. For German announcements the speed is ok. I would not like to have it slower. The problem is that I do not know any way that a normal user could configure this without making changes to the Navit GUI or an extra espeak setting app...


    Quote Originally Posted by vreihen View Post
    On my drive to work today (17km), I had my first Navit crash about two blocks from my destination. I don't follow Navit's suggested route, and suspect that it had a nervous breakdown trying to re-route so many times in the middle of a small city with lots of short roads. I flicked the card to close it, and it went away without a problem.
    You can enable logging in the Navit start script. The commands are there but commented out for default.
    What you mean by 'crash'? As you said you had to flicker the card away. For the crashes that I had with older version the card war closed automatically.

    Quote Originally Posted by vreihen View Post
    I'm not sure that it didn't leave a memory leak behind though, since Navit was running dog slow on the way home. At one point on the Interstate highway, it was showing my location as being 2km behind me. When I stopped at a traffic light, I watched the blue dot catch up. I'll probably reboot before tomorrow to ensure that the RAM is clear, but don't know if this was a memory leak from earlier or a severe lag from running Pandora and Navit at the same time again.....
    I had this once or twice too. At the moment we expect that the Java GPS service of the Pre is the problem.
    For a test you can install the Luna manager. When it happens the next time. Stop driving, Quit Navit, use the Luna manager to restart Java and the start Navit again. Check if that helps.
    I was not able to do this test by myself as it happed to me the last time before I knew this could help.


    HaPe
  16. #256  
    how about the Canadian eh? i need to find me igloo......
  17. #257  
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_singh View Post
    how about the Canadian eh? i need to find me igloo......
    I've been trying it off and on in london (ontario).. but when I finally got a chance to try it while on the move, it just crapped out and wouldn't do anything (no objects were "clickable").. I'm currently getting a new map bin file, and upgrading to the newest version posted here.

    I had this once or twice too. At the moment we expect that the Java GPS service of the Pre is the problem.
    For a test you can install the Luna manager. When it happens the next time. Stop driving, Quit Navit, use the Luna manager to restart Java and the start Navit again. Check if that helps.
    I was not able to do this test by myself as it happed to me the last time before I knew this could help.
    this seemed to help me when it crashed the last few attempts I've made. Without restarting java, navit wouldn't get a gps lock (or atleast the program would be unresponsive).

    This has me wondering something. In location services, there's a preference to use either GPS or Google... do either of these matter? I have them both unselected, and use the modded menu to turn gps on/off.
  18. #258  
    thx a lot for all the effort you are investing in this, i am installing now the app and will see how it handles in Bucharest
  19. pman_lt's Avatar
    Posts
    138 Posts
    Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    #259  
    This is great, I'm not the firs to stat this, but the app works

    I have just a couple questions, but first a suggestion, it would be great if someone made a webOS Navit app FAQ, with all the questions on this app.

    My questions:
    Is is possible to set any country/city to be default, so I don't need to select it every time I want to enter an address? No it's by default USA.

    When I scroll on the map to some place, and then go to settings (double-tapping screen), after going back to Map I'm back to my current location, and not the place I was checking out on a map.

    Also position centering is not working very well ("blue dot" is off center in portrait mode), but the GPS position location is incredibly fast.

    Another thing (maybe I've missed it on the thread), but screenshots of Navit app are black pic's... Anyway to fix it?

    Great job, keep the good work.

    ----
    Pre 1.4.0, GSM unlocked (qwertz)
  20. pman_lt's Avatar
    Posts
    138 Posts
    Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    #260  
    This is great, I'm not the firs to stat this, but the app works

    I have just a couple questions, but first a suggestion, it would be great if someone made a webOS Navit app FAQ, with all the questions on this app.

    My questions:
    Is is possible to set any country/city to be default, so I don't need to select it every time I want to enter an address? No it's by default USA.

    When I scroll on the map to some place, and then go to settings (double-tapping screen), after going back to Map I'm back to my current location, and not the place I was checking out on a map.

    Also position centering is not working very well ("blue dot" is off center in portrait mode), but the GPS position location is incredibly fast.

    Another thing (maybe I've missed it on the thread), but screenshots of Navit app are black pic's... Anyway to fix it?

    Great job, keep the good work.

    ----
    Pre 1.4.0, GSM unlocked (qwertz)

Posting Permissions