Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
  1.    #121  
    Quote Originally Posted by tonig23 View Post
    it starts but is not working, just black please fix it.
    I wish I could take a look at it. I have nothing 2.* available to me, though. I hope somone who's new mail sound just went off has 2.* and has a bit of time.

Can you follow the Terminal app log with Lumberjack? Does it spit anything out?

M.
    i also just updated 2 days ago my palm pre-

I got 2 times this error in the follow log with lumberjack:
    uncaught Typerror:
    Object [object HTMLObjectElement] has no method 'setTerminalHeight',
    InstallPrototypBuiltn:705

I turned the palm a few times, changed background color in the pref, but its always just black. After turning the palm, there is a second a white part in the screen, at the bottom, but thats all.

thanks
  3.    #123  
    Quote Originally Posted by tonig23 View Post
    I got 2 times this error in the follow log with lumberjack:
    uncaught Typerror:
    Object [object HTMLObjectElement] has no method 'setTerminalHeight',
    InstallPrototypBuiltn:705
    Thank you for posting.

Unfortunately, I suspect that something in the termplugin. If it was something in the javascript/Mojo stuff, I may have been able to fix it "blind" (as I have nothing 2.*) since I've been staring at Terminal's sources for a couple weeks. This is kinda over my head (to fix blindly).

It's gonna take someone with real brain power.

M.
    It's been known for months that Terminal does not work on 2.x

It's not an easy fix. Talk to Destinal in the IRC channel if you want to help.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    is there an alternative for this app?
    how can I access i.e. my /etc/hosts file? (internalz is also broken in webOS 2.1)

thanks
    You can use novaterm with USB or install ssh and login from pc via wifi.
  7.    #127  
    Quote Originally Posted by somline View Post
    You can use novaterm with USB or install ssh and login from pc via wifi.

That's not an alternative by any means.

Is there no one that has a 2.* phone with a little time to work on this? There are no other shells for our phones, at this point in time. It's this or nothing.

M.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    M.
    Maybe not for you ;-)

I used the new alpha version named secureshell by rod on my 2.0 dev version.
    You may have to build the ipk by your own.
    I don't know if it's in any feed.
    It is not full featured but for some quick actions it worked for me.

Is there no one that has a 2.* phone with a little time to work on this? There are no other shells for our phones, at this point in time. It's this or nothing.

M.
    Terminal uses undocumented APIs and those changed in some unknown way between 1.4.5 and 2.0 - it's not an easy problem by any means.

Anyone who is handy with running arm gdb on device is welcome to take a look.

-- Rod
  10.    #130  
    Quote Originally Posted by somline View Post
    Maybe not for you ;-)

I used the new alpha version named secureshell by rod on my 2.0 dev version.
    You may have to build the ipk by your own.
    I don't know if it's in any feed.
    It is not full featured but for some quick actions it worked for me.

He (rightly) pulled it from the feeds due to (potential) security issues.

M.
  11.    #131  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Terminal uses undocumented APIs and those changed in some unknown way between 1.4.5 and 2.0 - it's not an easy problem by any means.

-- Rod

I'm 100% aware it's not easy. I'm not trying to make light of that. I just have nothing 2.* available to me, and contact with my Son is more important to me than this app, so I'm not updating my Pre- yet until it's proven 100% stable (and only time will do that).

I haven't noticed the original author's name pop up on IRC yet, or I'd ask him about it, as you (and he) has suggested. I hate IRC, but, if that's what it takes then that's what it takes. I'm still of next to zero help - I'm not a programmer and I have nothing 2.*.

M.

(Anyone tearing yet? Is that a violin I hear somewhere? )
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post

-- Rod
    I'm 100% aware it's not easy. I'm not trying to make light of that. I just have nothing 2.* available to me, and contact with my Son is more important to me than this app, so I'm not updating my Pre- yet until it's proven 100% stable (and only time will do that).

I haven't noticed the original author's name pop up on IRC yet, or I'd ask him about it, as you (and he) has suggested. I hate IRC, but, if that's what it takes then that's what it takes. I'm still of next to zero help - I'm not a programmer and I have nothing 2.*.

M.

(Anyone tearing yet? Is that a violin I hear somewhere? )
    So I started running some debug logging, hey why not. The PDK had the cross compiler, so adding some debug entries and sending them to a file in /tmp wasn't too hard. I started comparing the logs I was making between 1.4.5 and 2.1.0. Things looked mostly the same. Just for fun I typed "cd /tmp; echo apple > me" into the black window and sure enough a text file named me was created in /tmp with the contents apple.

I'm amazed. I thought the problem was going to be with forking off the child login process and its communications with the termplugin.so. Silly me for adding all that debugging to spawn.c. Instead it seems the problem is with the termplugin.so sending screen updates to the Terminal app??
    Quote Originally Posted by rwcash View Post
    So I started running some debug logging, hey why not. The PDK had the cross compiler, so adding some debug entries and sending them to a file in /tmp wasn't too hard. I started comparing the logs I was making between 1.4.5 and 2.1.0. Things looked mostly the same. Just for fun I typed "cd /tmp; echo apple > me" into the black window and sure enough a text file named me was created in /tmp with the contents apple.

I'm amazed. I thought the problem was going to be with forking off the child login process and its communications with the termplugin.so. Silly me for adding all that debugging to spawn.c. Instead it seems the problem is with the termplugin.so sending screen updates to the Terminal app??
    Yep, that matches my (limited) understanding of the issue.

-- Rod

I looked at this some more. It seems the HandleDrawEvent in termplugin.cpp is always getting values of zero for dstRight and dstBottom inside the npPalmDrawEvent object.

Since the opensource is available, I took a look at the webcore-patch for 2.1.0 and found that the npPalmDrawEvent is being defined in PluginView:aint. That paint method is quite different than it was in 1.4.5 (referring to the webcore-patch for 1.4.5). They've added some sendRaster sort of thing which takes a different code path to populate those "dst" Values. I think the sendRaster is set if you're plugin has the useGraphicsContext NPPVariable set.

For some reason the webcore-patch does not include some header files I think they have created... such as nppalmdefs.h. As such I had to see what NPPVariables the module was being asked and assume that useGraphicsContext is the only "new" variable asked of the module when running on 2.1.0 vs. 1.4.5 which is 10003. I tried providing that variable with a true value. Sadly, this causes the plugin to just hang .

I'm thinking I succeeded in getting the newer portion with sendRaster to run when I added the NPPVariable. That suggests the behavior we are seeing where the pixels aren't being displayed ( and the "dst" values are 0) is happening while using the code which is the same as 1.4.5. If that is the case, I can see one place where these values could be ruined and set to 0. The "dst" variables are set to these dx1,dx2,dy1,dy2 variables which are created by multiplying them by a variable named scale. Perhaps that scale variable is 0?

I'm not sure if I'm making any progress... But it is a fun puzzle.
    I'm not sure if I'm making any progress... But it is a fun puzzle.
    Thanks for looking at it. Destinal is following your progress. Don't hesitate to ask if you need anything.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  16. mk3
    Global Posts
    622 Global Posts
    I'm a little sad this doesn't work with 2.1. Hopefully it gets updated and working again.
    Feedback & Feature Requests | Palm USA

"Abracadabra Holmes"
    -Cal Naughton, Jr.
    Cover story on Precentral is that Terminus can be made to work... http://www.precentral.net/on-device-...urns-webos-2-1

On 1.4.5 I have never gotten Terminus to work but Terminal works great. I hope that Terminus works well for 2.x users.
  18.    #138  
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    Cover story on Precentral is that Terminus can be made to work... [url]

On 1.4.5 I have never gotten Terminus to work but Terminal works great. I hope that Terminus works well for 2.x users.
    It would take a LOT of work for Terminus to be actually *useable* like Terminal is, though.

M.
    It would take a LOT of work for Terminus to be actually *useable* like Terminal is, though.
    Yes... I hope somebody gets the Terminal app working!

But the solution with Terminus works, thanks, MetaView!
    To avoid polluting this thread I have created a related one here: http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...s-1-4-5-a.html

I'm looking for help trying to understand why my 1.4.5 device will not (and has never) run Terminus successfully. Terminal works great.
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast