Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 153
  1. #81  
    Thanks, doconnor! Finally we have a working paste in the terminal.

    I would prefer "[" on the "Z" key, as my German keyboard has "Z" and "Y" switched. Is there a way to check the machine language or the keyboard layout? With one more if clause in the code, we could have a branch to "Z" for German and "Y" for any other devices.
  2. #82  
    Hi all,

    I noticed that the great masters that I have always respected here have improved Terminal recently to include the 'paste' function and some other keyboard functions.

    Will those updates be available via Preware (doing just an upgrade to Terminal), or do I just follow the instructions listed in doconner's message #68.

    This is not urgent, so if it will end up in Preware, I can be patient and wait for all the changes to be made and leave it up to the masters making all the decisions on the stuff that is to be improved.

    Thank you!

    Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

  3. doconnor's Avatar
    Posts
    18 Posts
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    #83  
    I've updated terminal to fix the 0 bug. I removed the special code for 0 and that seemed to fix it for some reason.

    I also updated the non-obvious keys to mention the Gesture was of doing Escape and Paste on Gesture V and PgDn on Gesture B.

    It's probably ready for a Preware update. I'm sure lost of people could use paste.

    Installation instructions below:

    Quote Originally Posted by doconnor View Post
    Copy keys-scene.html into /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/org.webosinternals.terminal/app/views/keys/

    Rename /usr/lib/BrowserPlugins/termplugin.so to something else, then replace it with this.

    Quitting and restart terminal should activate the new features. If it doesn't, restart luna.

    The only file I updated was keyman.cpp.
  4. #84  
    Quote Originally Posted by doconnor View Post
    I've updated terminal to fix the 0 bug. I removed the special code for 0 and that seemed to fix it for some reason.

    I also updated the non-obvious keys to mention the Gesture was of doing Escape and Paste on Gesture V and PgDn on Gesture B.

    It's probably ready for a Preware update. I'm sure lost of people could use paste.
    Terminal 0.3.2 in the testing feed now contains these changes.

    Once I get confirmation that it is working as everyone is expecting, we'll do a public feed release.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  5.    #85  
    Quote Originally Posted by doconnor View Post
    I also updated the non-obvious keys to mention the Gesture was of doing Escape and Paste on Gesture V and PgDn on Gesture B.
    WHAT?!? That's crazy.

    Why would PgDn get moved? It was where it was because it's a natural placement for it since those fuynctions were just like on the numerical keypad on all our computer's keyboards. Look over to the right on the keyboard connected to your computer. That is the EXACT same layout that terminal used for Home, end, PgUp PgDn, and cursor functions. Now they are out of line with each other.


    M.
  6. #86  
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    WHAT?!? That's crazy.

    Why would PgDn get moved? It was where it was because it's a natural placement for it since those fuynctions were just like on the numerical keypad on all our computer's keyboards. Look over to the right on the keyboard connected to your computer. That is the EXACT same layout that terminal used for Home, end, PgUp PgDn, and cursor functions. Now they are out of line with each other.


    M.
    Tell you what - you guys sort out what key bindings you want, and then tell me what the decision is.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  7. ggendel's Avatar
    Posts
    463 Posts
    Global Posts
    818 Global Posts
    #87  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Tell you what - you guys sort out what key bindings you want, and then tell me what the decision is.

    -- Rod
    That would have been my response too.
  8. #88  
    Quote Originally Posted by ggendel View Post
    That would have been my response too.
    But seriously, let's have a rational discussion about this and come up with a consensus or a set of options of well-thought-out full-terminal keyboard layouts for the Pre keyboard, cause we're going to need them for any future Terminal-like product as well.

    They were able to do it in the VBA thread, so we should be able to do it here ...

    -- Rod
  9.    #89  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    But seriously, let's have a rational discussion about this and come up with a consensus or a set of options of well-thought-out full-terminal keyboard layouts for the Pre keyboard, cause we're going to need them for any future Terminal-like product as well.

    Fair enough!

    My reasoning for putting PgDn back on V is this:


    • The keys for cursor control, PgUp, Home, and End are in the exact same pattern in Terminal as they are on a normal keyboard, so it's quite "natural" to use and adapt to. PgDn no longer follows that long "standardized" convention.
    • Terminal is very much not a "webOS" app. By this I mean, it's not really for the "average" or "main stream" User. If this was a mail app, memo app, word processor app, or something along those lines that focuses on word manipulation for the average User, I'd be just as adamant (maybe even "fanatical" ) about making paste be V, if someone decided to change it. I see no real reason why Terminal would need to adhere to the "(modifier)+V" convention for Paste.

    M.
  10. sd_matto's Avatar
    Posts
    85 Posts
    Global Posts
    190 Global Posts
    #90  
    Probably not news to folks in this thread, but the Terminal app (0.3.2) is not working with Pre 2 (WebOS 2.01).

    Any idea as to ETA for getting up and running in WebOS 2?

    Thanks in advance, and for the great work to date.
  11. #91  
    Quote Originally Posted by sd_matto View Post
    Probably not news to folks in this thread, but the Terminal app (0.3.2) is not working with Pre 2 (WebOS 2.01).

    Any idea as to ETA for getting up and running in WebOS 2?

    Thanks in advance, and for the great work to date.
    No ETA.

    Secure Shell works on webOS 2.0 as a replacement.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  12. sd_matto's Avatar
    Posts
    85 Posts
    Global Posts
    190 Global Posts
    #92  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    No ETA.

    Secure Shell works on webOS 2.0 as a replacement.

    -- Rod
    Thanks for the heads up.

    The Preware warnings for installing Secure Shell are pretty scary ("We know the bugs already, and they are major and fatal"). But, I will give it a try.
  13. #93  
    Quote Originally Posted by sd_matto View Post
    Thanks for the heads up.

    The Preware warnings for installing Secure Shell are pretty scary ("We know the bugs already, and they are major and fatal"). But, I will give it a try.
    Fatal to the app, not to your device.

    At the moment, only use Secure Shell if you cannot use Terminal (e.g. webOS 2.0)

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  14. doconnor's Avatar
    Posts
    18 Posts
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    #94  
    Reason for putting Paste on Gesture + V:

    Paste will probably be more commonly used by most users, especially new ones.

    WebOs users will instinctively use Gesture + V for paste, but will have no instinct for PgDn, so they could learn a new one.

    Most application (nano and emacs) use Control + V for pgdn, which is easier then Gesture + V, anyway.
  15. #95  
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    My reasoning for putting PgDn back on V is this:

    • The keys for cursor control, PgUp, Home, and End are in the exact same pattern in Terminal as they are on a normal keyboard, so it's quite "natural" to use and adapt to. PgDn no longer follows that long "standardized" convention.
    • Terminal is very much not a "webOS" app. By this I mean, it's not really for the "average" or "main stream" User. If this was a mail app, memo app, word processor app, or something along those lines that focuses on word manipulation for the average User, I'd be just as adamant (maybe even "fanatical" ) about making paste be V, if someone decided to change it. I see no real reason why Terminal would need to adhere to the "(modifier)+V" convention for Paste.

    M.
    Quote Originally Posted by doconnor View Post
    Reason for putting Paste on Gesture + V:

    Paste will probably be more commonly used by most users, especially new ones.

    WebOs users will instinctively use Gesture + V for paste, but will have no instinct for PgDn, so they could learn a new one.

    Most application (nano and emacs) use Control + V for pgdn, which is easier then Gesture + V, anyway.
    Can we meet the requirements of both these reasonable viewpoints by moving the pgup/pgdn/home/end combination to somewhere else on the physical keyboard ?

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  16.    #96  
    Quote Originally Posted by doconnor View Post
    Control + V for pgdn, which is easier then Gesture + V, anyway.
    Considering that all other cursor movements on the Pre are done with Gesture, and already in a "standard" placement, using a different modifier is in no way intuitive.


    M.
  17. doconnor's Avatar
    Posts
    18 Posts
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    #97  
    What Gesture + V does could be set up as a preference. It might even be a good idea to make the keyboard maping completely configurable.
  18. #98  
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    Considering that all other cursor movements on the Pre are done with Gesture, and already in a "standard" placement, using a different modifier is in no way intuitive.
    Can that "standard" placement be moved horizontally so it no longer intersects the 'V' key?

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  19.    #99  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Can that "standard" placement be moved horizontally so it no longer intersects the 'V' key?

    -- Rod

    And still have it obvious and very easy to memorize where NINE keys (and their functions) are? I don't think so.


    M.
  20. #100  
    Just wanted to throw my $0.02 in here...

    Firstly I believe that any webOS app should ideally do its best to keep in line with existing webOS "standards". With this in mind, for paste I strongly feel it should be gesture-V by default. My muscle memory is going to gesture-V a paste when using my webOS device, regardless of what I do on my PC.

    Secondly I think PC keyboard standards are a very very distant third to webOS keyboard standards and mobile device ease-of-use/intuitiveness. The Pre keypad does not intuitively lend itself to mimic a PC number keypad aside from having numbers. It's left-center of the keyboard, integrated with letters, upside-down/reverse, you use your thumb generally, etc...

    Thirdly it's going to be extremely difficult to map in all key shortcut/functionality intuitively on a Pre keyboard without needing to read the manual and train it into muscle memory. There are only 35 keys and a gesture bar. The keyboard does not mimic a PC keyboard aside from fundamentals like qwerty/qwertz/azerty layouts.

    IMHO default key bindings should be chosen based on usability without conflicting with native webOS key bindings. And of course making them user-modifiable would allow each individual to use what is most comfortable to them.

    -Eric G

    WebOS Internals Developer.
    Follow me on Twitter for updates to my projects: | Virtual Keyboard | wIRC | SuperTux | AUPT | KeyBoss | freeTether |

    Donate
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Posting Permissions