Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    I found the control key in terminus - which one is escape?
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
  2.    #42  
    Is Terminal ever going to get fixed?
    Quote Originally Posted by jordan23945bulls View Post
    dont get it.
    Create a file .inputrc in your home directory, and add the following lines to it:

### begin
    "\M-q": "|"
    # why doesn't \M-\C-q work?
    "\M-w": "\\"
    "\M-y": "["
    "\M-u": "]"
    "\M-\C-y": "{"
    "\M-\C-u": "}"
    "\M-n": "<"
    "\M-m": ">"
    "\M-t": "~"
    "\M-c": "^"
    "\M-v": "`"
    ### end

Then you can start to use Esc-q for "|".

Note "\M-" in the .inputrc file means Esc key, which is produced by Gesture-left, i.e., swipe left in the gesture area.

The only drawback is that if you need to access multiple linux hosts, you need to make sure the .inputrc present on each host.
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    According to an entry in the git repository the problem with 1.4 is solved since 11th of March.

I hope that they package it and put it to the preware feed soon. I really miss the terminal app.
    Global Posts
    180 Global Posts
    oh, how nice. that means I don't have to invest the time anymore
    Rwhitby mentioned a $100 bounty for whoever fixes it.

I seem to recall someone on irc mentioning fixing the crashing, but there was still redraw issues. I can't confirm though.
    Quote Originally Posted by wmz505 View Post
    Create a file .inputrc in your home directory, and add the following lines to it:

### begin
    "\M-q": "|"
    # why doesn't \M-\C-q work?
    "\M-w": "\\"
    "\M-y": "["
    "\M-u": "]"
    "\M-\C-y": "{"
    "\M-\C-u": "}"
    "\M-n": "<"
    "\M-m": ">"
    "\M-t": "~"
    "\M-c": "^"
    "\M-v": "`"
    ### end

Then you can start to use Esc-q for "|".

Note "\M-" in the .inputrc file means Esc key, which is produced by Gesture-left, i.e., swipe left in the gesture area.

The only drawback is that if you need to access multiple linux hosts, you need to make sure the .inputrc present on each host.
    I can't get this to work at all. It's not as simple as creating the file (.inputrc) or installing bourne again shell.

need some guidance please
    Sorry, for the last remark, some how i was typing /op/bin/bash. Everything is working fine
    HA! It's working, thank God. Terminal service update in preware. I'm loving life again.
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
    Quote Originally Posted by ****-richardson View Post
    HA! It's working, thank God. Terminal service update in preware. I'm loving life again.
    Is this true, the update enabled Terminal again!

Hooray, can't wait to verify this.

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

I just tried the new version of the terminal service. I'm running WebOS 1.4.1.1. Terminal starts and works, BUT changing any of the preferences (maybe even just opening the preferences?) causes a reboot. So there's still an issue, at least for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffreykey View Post
    I just tried the new version of the terminal service. I'm running WebOS 1.4.1.1. Terminal starts and works, BUT changing any of the preferences (maybe even just opening the preferences?) causes a reboot. So there's still an issue, at least for me.
    I experienced this as well. The changed settings at least seem to stick after the reboot though. Looks like it still needs some work, but at least its usable now.

--Todd
  13.    #53  
    Oh, It's true. Terminal is working again. Thank and Deity willing to listen. I've been growing tired of always having a laptop and a list of hot-spots with me in case I have to get to my *NIX boxes at work.

Thank you.

M.

P.S.
    I'll be typing a more "formal" thank you to the people I've had off-line discussions with about this (in case they are reading this).
    Quote Originally Posted by meshuga View Post
    Rwhitby mentioned a $100 bounty for whoever fixes it.

I seem to recall someone on irc mentioning fixing the crashing, but there was still redraw issues. I can't confirm though.
    The bounty is up to $125. There are three webos-internals developers who have worked on fixing it so far, but it's still crashing if you open a menu (but we figured we should release a version even with that bug).

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffreykey View Post
    I found that if you want to change the preferences and not have the Luna reboot on you, just make your changes and don't swipe sideways to go back, but swipe up to quit and then restart, and the changes are made without the long reboot of luna.

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3

Quote Originally Posted by rlanza1054 View Post
    I found that if you want to change the preferences and not have the Luna reboot on you, just make your changes and don't swipe sideways to go back, but swipe up to quit and then restart, and the changes are made without the long reboot of luna.

Rob
    I was just going to post this myself. I haven't done any extensive testing, but it seems like whenever you open a menu item, instead of swiping, etc, just close the terminal app completely. The few times I've done this instead of swiping everything has acted as expected.
    Sorry, does anyone know how to type the { character in Terminal or Terminus?

Thanks!

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3

18.    #58  
    I wish I knew too. It sure would come in handy!

M.
    Thanks for the tip about swiping up to quit instead of swiping left to return. Handy.

Another tip: With the current release, I found that if I rotate the screen to landscape and then back to portrait before typing, I get a proper wrap of the input.
    The rotating trick seems to help somewhat, but Nano is still making a mishmash of a little 100 line HTML file I'm trying to edit. I've tried Terminus, but I can't find the key bindings and they don't seem to be the same as the Terminal bindings from the internals website. I'd love to have a reliable way to edit css/html on device so I can test quick ideas on the fly in the Webos browser using lighttpd. Are there other options I haven't found?
    [Edit] Okay, my bad, I now saw the bindings for Terminus on page one of this thread. My problem with terminus and nano however is that I'm a noob with both and the status area for Nano in Terminus is a mess. I felt a lot more comfortable with Nano in Terminal...
    Last edited by bbito; 05/29/2010 at 10:50 AM.
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast