Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Thankfully I can ssh into the phone itself when I'm home, but my ability to get any sysadmin stuff done at work from my phone is severely compromised.

Terminus is prettier, but lacks some of the special chars I need and randomly causes the phone to reboot. I'm also not sure what license it uses. That's critical for me - at least for this and ssh.
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
    Quote Originally Posted by ****-richardson View Post
    Thankfully I can ssh into the phone itself when I'm home, but my ability to get any sysadmin stuff done at work from my phone is severely compromised.

Terminus is prettier, but lacks some of the special chars I need and randomly causes the phone to reboot. I'm also not sure what license it uses. That's critical for me - at least for this and ssh.
    shouldnt you be working at work ?? ha ha !
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    I tried that once. It sucked.
    Hi all,

I'm getting concerned that no one is working on the Terminal application.

I am more than willing to use Terminus but that is not fully developed at this point and I haven't seen any updates since it originally came out.

We do need a terminal application if we are to use some of the Linux features.

I'm not a Unix person or even a Linux guy, but I was using Terminal for things like Xorg Tools.

I feel stranded without it. And yes, I know I can use things that work when hooking my Pre up to my computer, but I want to be able to use a Terminal program when I am on the go.

I'm been going to WebOS Internals and have not seen any activity on there about Terminal.

Does anyone know any more information on this?

Thanks!

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

5.    #25  
    It took about a month and a half last Palm update... Donalt hold your breath. The Developer knew the day 1.4 hit that it was broke. He said it'll be "a few days" as of a week ago...

Don't hold your breath.
    If you want to enter things like "|" (pipe), you can use bash's key binding feature.

Create a file called .inputrc in your home dir. Here's what mine contains:
    ### begin
    "\M-q": "|"
    # why doesn't \M-\C-q work?
    "\M-w": "\\"
    "\M-y": "["
    "\M-u": "]"
    "\M-\C-y": "{"
    "\M-\C-u": "}"
    "\M-n": "<"
    "\M-m": ">"
    "\M-t": "~"
    "\M-c": "^"
    "\M-v": "`"
    ### end

Note that "\M" means escape and "\C" means control.
    These keybindings only work at the bash prompt.

Sometimes I need these chars in vi, so I created some files that contain the char I want, e.g. ssh into your phone, and run:
    printf '|' > pipe

Then in vi, import the contents by typing ":r pipe". Of course you have to be in the same dir as the file or type its path, which can be a pain, but it's better than nothing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    It took about a month and a half last Palm update... Donalt hold your breath. The Developer knew the day 1.4 hit that it was broke. He said it'll be "a few days" as of a week ago...

Don't hold your breath.
    You are welcome to assist in the debugging efforts during your free time.

-Eric G

WebOS Internals Developer.
    Follow me on Twitter for updates to my projects: | Virtual Keyboard | wIRC | SuperTux | AUPT | KeyBoss | freeTether |

Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by KelvinPre View Post
    If you want to enter things like "|" (pipe), you can use bash's key binding feature.
    Very helpful idea/example. Thanks.
    Well, add me to the list too... I want the update...
  10.    #30  
    Now that the Server Migration is over, are we to expect a working terminal app in the near future?
    Last edited by Xanadu73; 03/11/2010 at 02:21 PM. Reason: Typo
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    if i have a app/game folder is there a way to install it without using terminal?? ive installed terminal but it wont load. it says termplugin is not installed. ive tried using linux command on webos quickinstall but it seems its not working out for me. these are the following commands i use
    cd /
    rootfs_open -w
    cd /media/internal/
    cp -rf com.ea.app.nfsuc /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/

and it says no such file or directory. should i not be putting the folder in the root of the pre?

if theres another way of trying to install a app/game folder please let me know. thanks in advance
    Quote Originally Posted by kingvargas View Post
    if theres another way of trying to install a app/game folder please let me know. thanks in advance
    Well there's this fancy new way called buying it from the App Catalog...
    Quote Originally Posted by kingvargas View Post
    if i have a app/game folder is there a way to install it without using terminal?? ive installed terminal but it wont load. it says termplugin is not installed. ive tried using linux command on webos quickinstall but it seems its not working out for me. these are the following commands i use
    cd /
    rootfs_open -w
    cd /media/internal/
    cp -rf com.ea.app.nfsuc /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/

and it says no such file or directory. should i not be putting the folder in the root of the pre?

You need to use 'Terminus' until Terminal gets fixed. You can find it in Preware under Available Other - Utilities.. or goto List of Everything and type in Term...

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Hhhmmm Hoping for an update to the terminal app
  15.    #35  
    Is Terminal getting worked on?
    he's probably busy with other stuff . I would like this app updated too but when its free you just have to wait . He knows its broke lets all just give the dev. a chance to get caught up.
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    so there's no way of typing | on terminus?
    Quote Originally Posted by jordan23945bulls View Post
    so there's no way of typing | on terminus?
    See the post by KelvinPre, msg #28, by using .inputrc, worked perfectly for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by wmz505 View Post
    See the post by KelvinPre, msg #28, by using .inputrc, worked perfectly for me.
    dont get it.
    Global Posts
    180 Global Posts
    because you don't know how the bash works.
    inputrc is the config file for how inputting stuff behaves when using the bourne again shell (available in preware).
    you can define keymappings there. google is your friend
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast