1.    #1  
    Hello chaps,
    Thanks for all your efforts and the work that you do! It's all very gratefully received.

Following the 1.3.5.2 update for the UK tonight, I have got hold of SuperTux, Quake and Doom for a play about. I noticed that the launcher icons seem a bit blurry compared to the native ones. So, my cheeky request is: Is there any chance of getting them a little sharper?

Don't worry if it's a ball ache. It's a very menial point but hey, you don't know 'til you ask!
    Last edited by Ben_K; 01/11/2010 at 10:43 PM.
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    I'm glad I'm not the only one that hates the blurry icons. I figured it was just a sign of the games still being in development. I don't know much about icons for WebOS, but I'm assuming the source images were higher resolution than the ones we see in the launcher. Why were they downscaled?
    +1
    +1 !
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    you could always make your own and then drop them onto your launcher using WebOS Quick Install!
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    Pop open WebOS quick install goto Tools-> Send File then copy and paste these into the destination folder line, then drag the icon you want to use into the file line:

/media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/org.webosinternals.sdldoom/
    /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/org.webosinternals.sdlquake/

just drop whatever .png icon you want into those locations (I uploaded the ones I used if anyone wants them just make sure you rename iconq.png to icon.png before you drop it in) and you'll get something that looks like this:

keep in mind when the WebOS internals guys update these applications they may revert back to blurry icons so you might need to resend these files after updating.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jcross22; 01/12/2010 at 01:03 PM.
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    Thank You! I had been wondering how to do this for a number of apps, since not every developer seems to share my taste for beautiful icons.
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    no problem, I recommend downloading Internalz from preware. Internalz lets you browse the entire file structure of your phone, so you can use it to find the location of the apps (e.g. /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/org.webosinternals.sdldoom/). Then more often than not you just need to drop an icon.png file into that folder using webos quick install and voila! brand new sharp crisp icon of your choosing. Some games however use a different icon name, take for example glyder 2. If you browse Internalz to where Glyder 2 is, you'll find that it uses an icon named Icon_48x48.png as its icon filename, so if you wanted to replace that icon you'd need to rename your new icon to Icon_48x48.png then drop it in the glyder 2 folder.

I posted an example below of how to find the application you want and replace the icon:

First fire up Internalz, browse to media/ then cryptofs/ then apps/ then usr/ then palm/ then applications/ this will give you a list of all the applications installed on your phone. You might have to click on them to find out what they actually are because the end gets cut off so you might not be able to read the name. Once you click on the one you want you'll see the icon file in the folder (you can see in the screenshots below that the one for glyder 2 is Icon_48x48.png) So now you know what file you need to replace to change the icon. I went and found a new icon (in the screenshots below) and used WebOS quick install's file send feature to send "Icon_48x48.png" (the png i created) to "media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/com.glu.app.glyder2/" (the directory I found using Internalz) and you can see the final product in the last screenshot vs the screenshot of Glyder 2 in my last post.

Hope all that made sense.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jcross22; 01/12/2010 at 02:21 PM.
    This is a really useful thread - thanks Ben_K and jcross22
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    No problem SqyArc, I just hope people can decipher my terrible instructions
    Whaaaaa jcross those icons look awesome.. Niiiiice