1.    #1  
    i'm a little new at this but I did do some searching before considering posting this question (and I also hope I made the right choice of subforum).

i've read about the dangers of having a rooted pre, and while I didn't understand all the security implications, I did get the message that it wasn't something I should attempt without a lot more education.

so i've been very happy using WOQI & preware to access all the great applications and patches.

and then I found a need to troubleshoot my home wifi network because classic wasn't hotsyncing, and I remembered a command called 'ping' so I downloaded the terminal app (and service of course). It worked great!

so here's the question: the prompt in the terminal app says "root@palm-webos-device"... And the screenshots of rooted pres seem to say "root@castle"... What is the difference? And does that difference make the distinction between using the terminal app and "rooting" the device (with it's security caveats)?

thanks for your time!
    Rooting is a missused term when talking about a Pre. It carried over from android. You don't "root" a Pre. That implies that a rooted Pre and a non rooted Pre are different.

When you root a Pre you are only temporary accessing the Linux prompt. It's like opening a command line in windows. Did you "root" your windows because you opened up a command line? (hold windows key and press r. enter "cmd" OMGZ you just rooted Windows!!!!)
    No you didn't change anything. You just opened a terminal. Same situation on webOS.

So when you see people say "rooted Pre" or something, what they should be saying is I accessed Linux or I opened the terminal or command line.

IDK why there is a slight difference in the root@castle but opening terminal app on the Pre is the same as opening the terminal anywhere else. You are doing the same thing: Accessing Linux.
    Quote Originally Posted by lazycheese View Post
    so here's the question: the prompt in the terminal app says "root@palm-webos-device"... And the screenshots of rooted pres seem to say "root@castle"... What is the difference? And does that difference make the distinction between using the terminal app and "rooting" the device (with it's security caveats)?
    webOS 1.2 vs webOS 1.3, where the Pixi was added, so "castle" (which is the codename for the Pre) was changed to "webos-device".

BTW, there are no security caveats with any of the methods that WebOS Internals documents for accessing Linux. Unfortunately, you've been reading information from people who don't know what they are talking about.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  4.    #4  
    very educational. Thanks rod and @kill_Dano!
    Is there a way to install patches through the terminal?
    Quote Originally Posted by Alvintimothyjr View Post
    Is there a way to install patches through the terminal?
    Yes, but it is extremely complex and fraught with error.

Use Preware or WebOS Quick Install.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Gotcha...Thanks Whitby!