Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaidal View Post
    I will kill for a WebOS version of Alpha Centauri.

Kudos and many thanks to the WebOS Internals group for all of your hard work.
    +1,000

If anyone with the know how and skill is reading this....How about it?
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    What's the chance of being able to use this to load 'rdesktop' which is a linux RDP client?
  3. OrR
    If somebody ports OpenTTD and adds finger scrolling (of at least a 640*480 surface) plus proper touch control (by zooming? increased button size?), I'll be in heaven. It can now be distributed as a complete game free of charge as well, as the graphics replacements are finally ready! This is a game the open source community can be proud of!

When asking developers for comercial games like World of Goo but also emulators etc. to be ported, it might be a good idea to cooperate with the Pandora community, as they have a very similar system on a chip, also running Linux of course. Porting effort between WebOS and the Pandora should be rather minimal. Not sure if there is a community around the AI Touchbook, yet, but they would probably be interested as well. ARM-Linux users, unite!
    Well, after a morning spent trying to figure out how to compile an sdl snes emulator for the pre, I officially give up. I'm -far- too out of date to figure all of this out, I may be over complicating things but this feels over my head....

Perhaps with some slightly more user-friendly instruction... For instance, how did you guys get SDLdoom and/or quake working on the pre, in simple to understand terms? Or was it as complicated as it appears to me now and probably not worth even trying to understand (leave it to the experts)? I can't even find good tutorials on how this sort of thing is done (for any device) and I admit my programming skills are a bit 1990's (as in, mostly forgotten but probably there if I need them).

Lastly, for everyone clamoring for a port of "insert program or game here" remember that if it isnt already ported to SDL and is a closed-source program, you will likely never have it ported to your pre (or anything else for that matter).
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    How about a real media player?

opt-ware already has a VLC port. How about vlc-sdl?
    VLC SDL Plug-in | Linux App Finder
    Mplayer maybe?
  6.    #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by ncinerate View Post
    Well, after a morning spent trying to figure out how to compile an sdl snes emulator for the pre, I officially give up. I'm -far- too out of date to figure all of this out, I may be over complicating things but this feels over my head....

Perhaps with some slightly more user-friendly instruction... For instance, how did you guys get SDLdoom and/or quake working on the pre, in simple to understand terms? Or was it as complicated as it appears to me now and probably not worth even trying to understand (leave it to the experts)? I can't even find good tutorials on how this sort of thing is done (for any device) and I admit my programming skills are a bit 1990's (as in, mostly forgotten but probably there if I need them).

Lastly, for everyone clamoring for a port of "insert program or game here" remember that if it isnt already ported to SDL and is a closed-source program, you will likely never have it ported to your pre (or anything else for that matter).
    We're slowly creating a build environment.

ScratchBox2 cross compiling with SDL - WebOS Internals

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  7.    #47  
    For instance, how did you guys get SDLdoom and/or quake working on the pre, in simple to understand terms?
    We now have a wiki page giving the simplest instructions possible:

Building DOOM with scratchbox2 - WebOS Internals

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Rwhitby, -that- is exactly what I needed!!!

It's late, but I might start digging into that right now anyway! I look forward to playing around a bit, thanks a million.
  9.    #49  
    BTW, anyone who is porting open source games to the Pre using these instructions, we're happy to host a git repository for you, and use the webos-internals autobuilder to get your app directly into Preware.

-- Rod
    What about OpenGL? Is there a demo version of quake compiled for ARM that takes advantage of this?
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    So allright, I think I've got the hard part over and compiled my app, she's all nicely packed up and ready to go onto the pre (it even wants to run in ubuntu, but stops saying no graphics device is found, I'm assuming because it's looking for Pre hardware).

Now the part I'm not sure I'm understanding correctly (or, perhaps I screwed up royally on the whole compiling portion of my night), I take this file and want to test it on the pre, so I need to copy it to my pre.

Where exactly should I be putting it? Does it matter if it's in a specific directory? I tried tossing it into my pre's /media/internal/downloads folder and running it, but it gives me an error there - more specifically, line 1: syntax error: "(" unexpected

I'm not getting this error running the completed file under ubuntu (as I said, everything there appears to open normally, then stops loading due to lack of a display device), am I missing something simple here?
  12.    #52  
    So allright, I think I've got the hard part over and compiled my app, she's all nicely packed up and ready to go onto the pre (it even wants to run in ubuntu, but stops saying no graphics device is found, I'm assuming because it's looking for Pre hardware).

Now the part I'm not sure I'm understanding correctly (or, perhaps I screwed up royally on the whole compiling portion of my night), I take this file and want to test it on the pre, so I need to copy it to my pre.

Where exactly should I be putting it? Does it matter if it's in a specific directory? I tried tossing it into my pre's /media/internal/downloads folder and running it, but it gives me an error there - more specifically, line 1: syntax error: "(" unexpected

I'm not getting this error running the completed file under ubuntu (as I said, everything there appears to open normally, then stops loading due to lack of a display device), am I missing something simple here?
    "syntax error: "(" unexpected" usually means you're trying to run an x86-compiled binary on an ARM.

You need to cross-compile it using the scratchbox environment we have created.

-- Rod
    Just out of curiosity, any reason that some of these newer SDL apps are using the Upstart Manager Service instead of using this method?
  14.    #54  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Just out of curiosity, any reason that some of these newer SDL apps are using the Upstart Manager Service instead of using this method?
    Cause we think the upstart method is cooler ;-)

And it will allow us to put in webOS screens before the app for things like preferences or showing keybindings, without needing to program that stuff natively.

-- Rod
    Odd... I could swear I compiled it in the scratchbox environment.....

I'll give it another go later on and see if perhaps that was the issue. I'm pretty sure I fired up the scratchbox first with the sb2 -M /srv/preware/cross-compile/staging/mapping-armv7 command, then at the new sb2 prompt I compiled... Not sure where I'd have went wrong.

Well, maybe third times a charm.
    Playing with things again, just realized I hadn't properly finished up the whole
    "make stage" portion of the instructions.

It appears Ubuntu 9.10 doesn't come with curl installed, suggest perhaps an update to the cross-compiling page that mentions installing curl as well (for those of us that are trying to jump in with a fresh ubuntu install and no packages yet).

Somehow I didn't catch the fact this had ended in error last time around and I'm sure that was leading to many of my issues later on... We'll see if I can't get a few things compiled and working now.
    I have been trying to launch a native app, but the luna gui seems to overide the disply. It is a basic program (as a test) that was created using Qt compiler and then cross-compiled. If I stop the luna from the novaterm and then launch the program manually through the novaterm it works (minus the touchscreen and some keyboard functions). I have createded a json as such:

Code:
    {
    	"title": "Try This App",
    	"version": "0.0.1",
    	"type": "native", (have also tried game here)
    	"main": "qtest.sh",
    	"id": "com.1stdetect.mms.app.trythisapp",
    	"icon": "icon.png",
    	"vendor": "mms",
    	"vendorurl": "http://www.1stdetect.com/",
    	"visible": true,
    	"removable": true,
    	"miniicon": "icon.png"
    }
    and a script file called qtest.sh as such:

Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    cd /usr/palm/applications/com.1stdetect.mms.app.trythisapp
    ./QTestGui -qws
  18.    #58  
    Quote Originally Posted by maspenc View Post
    I have been trying to launch a native app, but the luna gui seems to overide the disply. It is a basic program (as a test) that was created using Qt compiler and then cross-compiled. If I stop the luna from the novaterm and then launch the program manually through the novaterm it works (minus the touchscreen and some keyboard functions). I have createded a json as such:

Code:
    {
    	"title": "Try This App",
    	"version": "0.0.1",
    	"type": "native", (have also tried game here)
    	"main": "qtest.sh",
    	"id": "com.1stdetect.mms.app.trythisapp",
    	"icon": "icon.png",
    	"vendor": "mms",
    	"vendorurl": "http://www.1stdetect.com/",
    	"visible": true,
    	"removable": true,
    	"miniicon": "icon.png"
    }
    and a script file called qtest.sh as such:

Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    cd /usr/palm/applications/com.1stdetect.mms.app.trythisapp
    ./QTestGui -qws
    Why did you think a Qt app would work?

Only the Palm SDL and OpenGL libraries know how to interoperate with Luna.

-- Rod
    Qt creator is what I have been using to creat programs and was hoping I could use it for phone apps since it creates native linux programs and since qt also has webkit. The libraries have been added to the phone. I guess I will just have to add some script to kill luna and then run the app and when the app is shut down restart luna for my initial fun with phone apps. I just have to create drivers that way (not as fun).
    I tried to follow along with the initial post.... If I am trying to run a strait native app (non Qt) was the launch point the key? Or was it something else?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast