Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    btw mass kudos to those fellows @ Internals. That's gotta be one of the most rewarding hobbies/ jobs!
    Since this is using a bit more "official" way of launching native applications, could this possibly work around some of the issues with the Pixi when it comes to Doom and Quake?
    You guys are awesome! I just hope palm takes full advantage of letting developers have low level access. Possibly let developers still work with html, css, java script and also have Linux access. If they play there cards right the future should be good.
    Haha fun transcripting
    MatterOfFactJack
    So, can a developer use this method to launch native apps "legally" for apps on the Palm App Catalog? Palm is a stickler for store apps to not use hacks, etc. so I'm wondering if Palm would reject any apps submitted that tries to use this method.

I certainly would like to use a native app to create, and delete text files in WebOS.
    cohoman

Palm Apps:

jVault and jChecklist
    Quote Originally Posted by KEYofR View Post
    As a software developer (not on the pre) This is business as usual and doesn't bother me. All my best work starts out large and complicated and then the more I work on it the smaller it gets. By the time I call it "done" it's often 1/4 or 1/10th the size and complexity of the first working version. Some of my stuff that's grown over time, even though it's functional and robust, I stiull consider somewhat of a failurte because I just know I'm missing some way to simplify it by at least 50%.

Consider the earlier larger work which you "threw away" or "obsoleted" instead of thinking of it as wasted, think of it as prototyping. Before you can make the nice optimized widget, you first have to make a big ugly hand made bolted together prototype to figure out all the ins & outs.
    thats what she said

More seriously though i want to say thanks guys you do a lot of great work...
    Quote Originally Posted by cohoman View Post
    So, can a developer use this method to launch native apps "legally" for apps on the Palm App Catalog? Palm is a stickler for store apps to not use hacks, etc. so I'm wondering if Palm would reject any apps submitted that tries to use this method.

I certainly would like to use a native app to create, and delete text files in WebOS.
    These are undocumented APIs, so it's a given that they will be rejected from the app store currently.
    Quote Originally Posted by bioart View Post
    So, technically, this will allow MAME to work at some point, right? Is it possible to do this in the emulator?
    At the present time, this means that any app that uses an sdl surface for its output can run on the pre with little or no effort.

SDL supports sound, keyboard, and graphics, so any app that will run on an sdl surface in the Pre's memory should run.

If there's an sdl Mame, then you're all set. So far as I know ever gaming emulator is available in an sdl version, snes, gameboy, etc etc.

All you have to do is set up a toolchain, and compile for the pre's processor.

For help DOING that, contact the folks on the IRC channel and read up on the toolchains on the wiki.

But the gloves are certainly off.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to be standing at the Palm booth at CES with my heavly patched pre running quake and doom next week to any who will look.

:-) I suspect that may take a bit of the bloom off of electronic arts rose...

:-)

Rick
    Quote Originally Posted by SineOt View Post
    Since this is using a bit more "official" way of launching native applications, could this possibly work around some of the issues with the Pixi when it comes to Doom and Quake?
    the problems with pixi are not related to the launch method.
    Quote Originally Posted by rboatright View Post
    At the present time, this means that any app that uses an sdl surface for its output can run on the pre with little or no effort.
    That sound so great
    almost every emulator is allready ported to ARM (pre processor) so porting an linux,sdl, arm app should really be no problem. Cant wait to see what this month will show up in preware
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Great news! Although all this is way beyond my own programming skills I wanted to point to a short list of gaming applications that use SDL from wikipedia.
    battle of wesnoth would be an awesome game considering the type of game it is.
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorowan View Post
    Great news! Although all this is way beyond my own programming skills I wanted to point to a short list of gaming applications that use SDL from wikipedia.
    I would totally rebuy world of goo if the developers would port it over to webOS, I loved that game, would be great mobile.
    I guess to try and get a better idea of the difference.. Compare the original WebOS only stuff to things you can do inside IE or other browsers. And there are alot of things out there. These are generally things stored locally or on the net but use the browsers engine to operate. This method is very flexible and easy to get things up quickly but can be limited in scope and speed. Oh and by the way a large portion of Microsoft programs use this method to do things. So you know it is a powerful method of doing software. As browser add ons are added such as Flash you will be able to bring more and more of your PC experience to your phone.

Native programs would be more like other software that you add to your PC normally by CD (Or similar media) or by downloading. Native software can operate outside of the operating system and use the hardware directly. I would guess that you will find most programmers will use the WebOS as much as possible and only bypass it when they can't get support otherwise or have found a more efficient way to do something.

GPU support is very basic and should not affect most users experience with the phone. However if you are using Graphic intensive programs then using the GPU will allow the CPU to do other work which will allow much faster and smoother graphics while it is doing other things as well. I would guess that the BIGGEST users of the GPU at this point will be Flash and "native" games either ported over from other entities or written from scratch.
    Last edited by rulk; 01/04/2010 at 08:32 AM.
    For the record, I don't think Palm ever stated anywhere that web apps were the only development route they intended to pursue. 3D gaming has always been part of the picture, and that means low level access for at least some developers.

They have focused on web apps as it is simply where the industry is going. Standalone software is going to be replaced more and more by software running in a browser environment. There is also a degree of marketing involved here. Synergy and web integration are as much a business plan and marketing strategy as they are a development plan.
  16. Vij
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    I have to say... this is BY FAR the most enjoyable electronic device I've ever owned... and that is in LARGE part to this community! The Pre is good, WebOS is great and getting better all the time, and watching things progress over the last 12 months has been highly enjoyable.

Thanks folks!
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    I will kill for a WebOS version of Alpha Centauri.

Kudos and many thanks to the WebOS Internals group for all of your hard work.
    I'm thinking Palm's official channel for this will be games only. Also, they appear to be embracing this over webGL (for the time, anyway -- perhaps webGL will come in late 2010).

Besides all that, EMULATION NOW! :P
    Arcade and game-console emulators which use SDL

DGen – an emulator for Sega Genesis (Mega Drive).
    FCE Ultra – an emulator of Nintendo Entertainment System (NES) and the Famicom Disk System.
    Gens – a Sega Genesis emulator.
    Hatari – an emulator of the Atari ST computer system.
    MAME – SDLMAME is an SDL-based port of MAME (MAME is an "Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator" emulator).
    Mednafen – multi-system emulator supporting Atari Lynx, Game Boy (including Color and Advance revisions), Neo Geo Pocket, Neo Geo Pocket Color, Nintendo Entertainment System (NES), PC Engine, SuperGrafx, PC-FX, WonderSwan, and WonderSwan Color.
    Mupen64 – Mupen64 (Multi Platform Emulator for the N64) is an emulator for the Nintendo 64.
    NeoCD – a Neo Geo CD emulator.
    Stella – an emulator for the Atari 2600.
    VisualBoyAdvance (VBA) – emulator for the Game Boy, Super Game Boy, Game Boy Color, and Game Boy Advance handheld game consoles sold by Nintendo.
    Yabause – an emulator for the Sega Saturn.
    ZSNES – an emulator of the Super Famicom and SNES video game systems.
    this is a very small list of emus that use SDL
    Quote Originally Posted by justin0008 View Post
    Will this eventually make possible pc-type apps capable of editing/ creating documents in a more worthy manner than what we have now? Anything beyond lifestyle/ entertainment oriented?
    +1

My kingdom (or at least a PreCentral "thanks" post) for a gui text editor. Doesn't have to be any more sophisicated than Windows Notepad. Is this an easy port?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast