Page 1 of 18 123456 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1.    #1  
    A fully functional Quake is available in Preware.

This one is courtesy of dtzWill and myself.

Video is at YouTube - webosinternals's Channel ...

The wiki page is at http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/Application:Quake including a nice diagram of the keymap from jack87.

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 01/03/2010 at 05:03 AM. Reason: Updated now that it is fully-functional.
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    mullern likes this.
    dtzWill you rock!
    Thanks for the launcher rwhitby
    Last edited by jack87; 01/02/2010 at 07:24 AM.
    MatterOfFactJack
    Most awesome, it works rather well too!
    From a technical standpoint, what's stopping it's playability right now? I noticed that it crashes upon starting a new game, so perhaps it's something to do with the initialization for loading the intro map or the player control mechanics? Or even the teleporter particles being too much for it to handle, any ideas?
    /ramble
    webOS Ports' UI Architect & luna-sysmgr guru.
    Quote Originally Posted by ShiftyAxel View Post
    Most awesome, it works rather well too!
    From a technical standpoint, what's stopping it's playability right now? I noticed that it crashes upon starting a new game, so perhaps it's something to do with the initialization for loading the intro map or the player control mechanics? Or even the teleporter particles being too much for it to handle, any ideas?
    /ramble
    Mostly the fact that it was done at 4am and the developer wants to go to sleep/needs sleep/or has passed out. haha I believe he has fixed the crash issue but keymaping/binding has not been set up.

Just needs a bit of time but it sure is hopeful i am excited
    MatterOfFactJack
    Note: I'm dtzWill who did the porting work.

The crash on level start has already been fixed, I'll push it after I get some sleep sorry .

The keybindings presently are the biggest issue, and it seems to be non-trivial (see sdldoom's keybinding situation).

And, of course, there could be all kinds of other things since being unable to move makes testing difficult .
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    this is what I was waiting for since doom was made public. Awesome. Getting it playable would be a great leap forward. Framerate drops are noticeable but nothing too big. Goodwork though. C:
    well done guys. Now if only we could get O2 to pull an all nighter and get 1.3.5 out to the rest of the world I could try it.

very exciting times in the pre world.
    I've never setup a Paypal Account. But now i'am willing to do, only for donate to this guys !!!!!!!
    Global Posts
    578 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dtzWill View Post
    The keybindings presently are the biggest issue, and it seems to be non-trivial (see sdldoom's keybinding situation).

And, of course, there could be all kinds of other things since being unable to move makes testing difficult .
    Hi dtzWill, I attach the key configuration from my old dos version. This are the config files that where in the id2 folder. I expect them to be similar to the Linux port.

HaPe
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    awesome work
    wow nice progress... thank you!!
    PS: hmm seems a bit slow not optmized yet or is it a webos problem?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonic-NKT View Post
    wow nice progress... thank you!!
    PS: hmm seems a bit slow not optmized yet or is it a webos problem?
    I think, this is not the GL-Quake version. It's the software rendered version displayed with the SDL-Libary (2d-acclerated). If they manage to use the OpenGL drivers we will see a huge improvment. But for now it's really impressive :-)
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    What are the key-bindings?

I'm joking!
    Very very very cool though!
    Quote Originally Posted by simossoft View Post
    I think, this is not the GL-Quake version. It's the software rendered version displayed with the SDL-Libary (2d-acclerated). If they manage to use the OpenGL drivers we will see a huge improvment. But for now it's really impressive :-)
    ok that makes sense
    anyway great work

PS: now where is the gnuboy port with romselector and launcher?
    Not sure how helpful this is, but the maemo/beagleboard guys have gotten Quake 1/2/3 working HW accelerated by using the nanoGL wrapper contained in the source packages here. Might be worth a look.

Edit: Wow it's nearly impossible to find source code or documentation for a lot of this OpenGL -> OpenGLES porting stuff.
    Last edited by Leathal; 01/02/2010 at 12:06 PM.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    I'm curious how we'll even be able to control the game with the Z-axis. Doom is easy since it is only really 2-D gameplay.

Don't think FPS is going to be the Pre's strong suit unless we can play in portrait mode with two thumbs.
    It seems to have come out fairly well on the iPhone, and seeing as we have a real keyboard I think we have something of an advantage. Perhaps strafe and jump mapped to the keyboard and aiming/ shooting mapped to sliding/tapping the touchscreen?
    webOS Ports' UI Architect & luna-sysmgr guru.
    wow, great work. Forgot how ahead of the curve this game us. This is the game that introduced me to computers

freaking great job ya are doing !
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    Yeah... Right handed users would have the a/s key for strafing for example...
    While left handed users would have the L and the backspace key for strafing.

Would be great to see keys customized well for this.
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    the demo won't launch for me. it say "quake: starting" but goes no further.. any ideas?
Page 1 of 18 123456 11 ... LastLast