Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaerey View Post
    This did NOT crash it for me, and in fact was the first time I've been able to get it to work using "./quake -noudp" from the terminal app.

when I type "cat /etc/hostname" it returns "palm-webos-device"

and when I type "cat /etc/hosts" it outputs a HUGE and I mean FREAKIN HUGE long list of 127.0.0.1 "various urls" and I mean HUGE like it's been cycle through for a while now and hasn't stopped yet.
    holy crap that worked i believe that the launcher needs to have the -noudp flag put in there.

nice find!!
    I'm having the similar doom working but quake not issue, and my patches are in order. This might sound stupid but i put the code line above to start quake from terminal and it just says not found, am i meant to type something in beforehand? It starts with "root@palm-webos-device:/var/home/root#." Do I just type the "cd /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/org.webosinternals.sdlquake/bin
    ./quake
    " straight in?
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by reallylongword View Post
    Is there a patch or app that's using /etc/hosts for ad blocking or something like that? The hostname on the phone changed an update or two ago from castle to palm-webos-device, so if something's replacing /etc/hosts that would cause problems like this.

Adding back the default host line with "echo 127.0.0.1 palm-webos-device >> /etc/hosts" (on a rooted device, or after running "mount -o remount,rw /") should fix running from the launcher.
    JACKPOT!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Ad Blocking patch is coming from WebOS Quick Install, which I had installed. Adding back the default host line got it working from the launcher.
    8MB Visor --> Treo 300 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
    All devices obtained within first week of launch
    Removing the ad-blocker in WebOSQI made Quake work for me too! Thank you! thank you! thank you!
    ok well it looks like there are 2 options on how to approach this fix, one to remove the web blocking patch or to run quake by typing "quake -noudp".

both ways i've verified that work in order to get quake running.
    dtxWill managed to out do himself once more: Qake is now updated in PreWare...

Change log includes.
    v1.1.0 Increased performance, Drastic improvements to control scheme (including virtual joystick, continuous fire, added gesture controls), Modal Keyboard, fix for Segfault Error" (doom worked but not quake).

You can look up more info and control Scheme on the Wiki
    Application:Quake - WebOS Internals
    Last edited by jack87; 01/04/2010 at 07:21 PM.
    MatterOfFactJack
    Excellent! thank you all for the hard work!
    Quote Originally Posted by morrison0880 View Post
    So I've been out of the precentral loop for a week and a half and I come back to this! I can't believe how fast things are progressing. Amazing to see the development we've had in 7 short months.
    I am having a few problems with this though, as it seems like others are too. I am able to download Upstart, DOOM, and Quake from Preware, but after rebooting my phone, I am unable to open them. I get the same, msg flashes that it's starting and then blinks away with no action taking place, problem. I've uninstalled and reinstalled numerous times, but nothing changes. Neither DOOM no Quake works. I tried opening DOOM with Terminal, but I get a msg stating that doom can't be found. Tried a few different iterations of the ./doom & cammand line, but none worked.
    I do have MyTether installed, but patch is disabled. Running 1.3.5. When installing Upstart, it confirms the install, but I get the following error msg in the IPKG Log

cp: cannot stat '/media/cryptofs/apps/usr/share/dbus-1/system-services/org.webosinternals upstartmgr.services': No such file or directory

Here are some screenshots of my problems. Any thoughts?
    Games should be in their own game directory and not in Upstart. Also should be able to run them right off their icon from the launcher. Be sure to update Quake

Code:
    /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/org.webosinternals.sdlquake
    /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/org.webosinternals.sdldoom
    MatterOfFactJack
    oo boy.. updating now.. psyched
    man is so hard to play with the joystick now!

I'm sure time will make a difference but wow big change..

thanks for all the updates.
    Ivan's Themes main thread

Oklahoma Sooner theme

If you would like to because you like my work or you just want to buy me a drink I would really appreciate it.
    Man I suck at these games. Excellent job guys!!
    hate the new controls it's so much harder to use I can't even move it's hard. And don't do anything to doom leave the game alone it's fine the way it is the controls are perfect and quake also restarts my phone when I close it :/
    my phone doesn't restart but I second the controls being way harder than before.. The joystick thing is just not working for me. I do like the jump being all the way on the top and also the constant shooting...

good update but way to hard to use the controls
    Ivan's Themes main thread

Oklahoma Sooner theme

If you would like to because you like my work or you just want to buy me a drink I would really appreciate it.
    I love the new controls! Play it some and see how good it is. You will learn quickly to use the new virtual joystick.

This is a professional first rate job.
    Love very much thanks!
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    effin awesome! it works now! all it took was a little patience
    Quote Originally Posted by ivan1.ruiz View Post
    man is so hard to play with the joystick now!

I'm sure time will make a difference but wow big change..

thanks for all the updates.
    Quote Originally Posted by jordan23945bulls View Post
    hate the new controls it's so much harder to use I can't even move it's hard. And don't do anything to doom leave the game alone it's fine the way it is the controls are perfect and quake also restarts my phone when I close it :/
    Quote Originally Posted by ivan1.ruiz View Post
    my phone doesn't restart but I second the controls being way harder than before.. The joystick thing is just not working for me. I do like the jump being all the way on the top and also the constant shooting...

good update but way to hard to use the controls
    give it a shot.. i think you guys will have a change of heart and please report back. remember put finger on gesture zone only when you are going to strafe. keyboard controls still exist.. but you really dont need them with that scheme...
    MatterOfFactJack
    OMG the frame rate went up dramatically!! I thought the previous version was just a limitation of the phone's architecture but with this new update i have renewed faith in the power of the phone.

I'm almost curious on how the pre will handle quake 2 or even quake 3.

Here's to the future of the Pre and 3d gaming.
    excuse my stupidity but where is the "select" or "enter" button? I'm stuck at the main menu lol
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    so I'm very sad cause I've been waiting patiently for this to launch!

I just installed the new update through preware and I get the same damn "starting fades away and nothing happens"

I installed and tried rebooting and same problem. When I orange + click on quake it says I'm using version 1.0.9 at 20160K. But I see the new quake icon (or at least I think it's different from the one I just deleted)

doom is also not launching from the icon. (I have run doom from the terminal once too)

Sad times. Any suggestions?

-Morgan
Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast