Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
    Just installed the quake update and the new controls are working great!!! much better for me atleast thank you very much!

PS: would it be possible to integrated a fast double tap for shooting? even when you are in the virtualjoystick area?

EDIT:
    just have to report this... my pre just crashed are short time after closing quake completly, i had to remove the battery to get it to boot again.. still working fine tho.

EDIT2:
    could this virtual joystick control method be implemented in doom?
    (lower leftside touchscreen = Joystick for moving (without strafe) ; right side touchscreen = shooting + use; gesture area = change weapon)
    this would allow us to play the game without the keyboard, as alternative there could be a config with keyboard included for strafing)
    Last edited by Sonic-NKT; 01/04/2010 at 11:42 AM.
    I like the new controls a lot, however it seems a bit laggier now, lower frame rate than befor
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    I was one with Doom working and not quake, no my tether patch, 1.3.5, etc, etc.

new version from '"wget http://wdtz.org/files/quake.sh -O- |/bin/sh" does NOT fix no-start issue for Quake for me.
    8MB Visor --> Treo 300 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
    All devices obtained within first week of launch
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaerey View Post
    I was one with Doom working and not quake, no my tether patch, 1.3.5, etc, etc.

new version from '"wget [url] -O- |/bin/sh" does NOT fix no-start issue for Quake for me.
    same here
    i think its really strange that quake works on some just doctored pres and not on others... how is this possible? shouldnt be the hardware and software the same?
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    i still receive the seg fault after updating using the terminal. i do not have mytether installed (never did) and doom does work.

i get the following after trying to launch the program:

Code:
    Added packfile ./idl/pak0.pak (339 files)
    FindFile: can't find gfx/pop.lmp
    Playing shareware version.
    PackFile: ./idl/pak0.pak : gfx.wad
    Console initialized.
    Segmentation fault.
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Still broken for me after running the Wget.... even uninstalled it and re-installed it then ran the wget to DL the new ver. Still getting the 'Quake Starting...' and then nothing.

Appreciate all the hard work you all are doing!
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FiXXXerX View Post
    Still broken for me after running the Wget.... even uninstalled it and re-installed it then ran the wget to DL the new ver. Still getting the 'Quake Starting...' and then nothing.

Appreciate all the hard work you all are doing!
    just went through that exact process.. same results...
    Quote Originally Posted by TomD View Post
    I found 2 copies of Package Manager Service when I looked in WOSQI.

I deleted both.

Then reinstalled with WOSQI.

Still no joy. I still get 1.0.9 version of Quake.

Giving up for now. I'll just run the demo.
    Not sure if this is the solution, but after I did the Quake update it appeared that it was still the Demo as it still starts in the Demo mode. But if you hi the enter/return key on the keyboard that takes you to the options to start the game.

Cheers!
    I had the problem of Quake crashing on startup (displayed the starting notification and nothing else when started from launcher, segmentation fault at the same point as supercat1 from terminal), and for me it was because I had changed /etc/hostname and not created a new /etc/hosts entry. The crash was happening in sdlquake's UDP_Init() function since it doesn't check the return value of gethostbyname, which failed because the host entry didn't exist.

So if you've changed your phone's hostname, make sure there is a line in /etc/hosts for the new name. Or you can run from the terminal using the flag "-noudp"
    I am experiencing the same problems as a lot of you. Doom works just fine for me but Quake does not seem to initialize even though it says it is starting up. If there were any ideas as to what the problem could be that would help a lot.
    Quake isn't working for me from the launcher. Is there a way I can launch it through the terminal app?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hernie View Post
    Quake isn't working for me from the launcher. Is there a way I can launch it through the terminal app?
    it won't work through the terminal app, you will get the same error as if you were launching it via the app icon.
    I wonder if it has something to do with a patch that we all have installed. I don't wanna remove mine to find out, Lol!
    I wonder if it has something to do with a patch that we all have installed. I don't wanna remove mine to find out, Lol!
    Tried reinstalling it with all patches removed...to no avail.
    Though running it in the terminal will almost certainly still crash, it might be able to reveal more about what's going on.

Code:
    cd /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/org.webosinternals.sdlquake/bin
    ./quake
    I'm curious if you're having same problem I did, especially if running "./quake -noudp" from the terminal works. Could you post the contents of your /etc/hostname and /etc/hosts files?
    remove the patch see if it works for you (mytether wifi patch)

only two things known to cause quake not to start, there may be others.

Mytether wifi patch (this can be removed and reapplied in mytether options): Both doom and quake do not start

Segfault error: still not sure whats causing it but doom starts and not quake if doom will start with wifi patch removed then wifi patch is not your problem.

Note:If you have MyTether installed
    Both Doom and Quake do not start without the Wifi Patch applied. send email to webos@wdtz.org for trouble shooting.
    Last edited by jack87; 01/04/2010 at 04:23 PM.
    MatterOfFactJack
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by reallylongword View Post
    Though running it in the terminal will almost certainly still crash, it might be able to reveal more about what's going on.

Code:
    cd /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/org.webosinternals.sdlquake/bin
    ./quake
    I'm curious if you're having same problem I did, especially if running "./quake -noudp" from the terminal works. Could you post the contents of your /etc/hostname and /etc/hosts files?
    This did NOT crash it for me, and in fact was the first time I've been able to get it to work using "./quake -noudp" from the terminal app.

when I type "cat /etc/hostname" it returns "palm-webos-device"

and when I type "cat /etc/hosts" it outputs a HUGE and I mean FREAKIN HUGE long list of 127.0.0.1 "various urls" and I mean HUGE like it's been cycle through for a while now and hasn't stopped yet.
    8MB Visor --> Treo 300 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
    All devices obtained within first week of launch
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaerey View Post
    when I type "cat /etc/hostname" it returns "palm-webos-device"

and when I type "cat /etc/hosts" it outputs a HUGE and I mean FREAKIN HUGE long list of 127.0.0.1 "various urls" and I mean HUGE like it's been cycle through for a while now and hasn't stopped yet.
    Is there a patch or app that's using /etc/hosts for ad blocking or something like that? The hostname on the phone changed an update or two ago from castle to palm-webos-device, so if something's replacing /etc/hosts that would cause problems like this.

Adding back the default host line with "echo 127.0.0.1 palm-webos-device >> /etc/hosts" (on a rooted device, or after running "mount -o remount,rw /") should fix running from the launcher.
    So I've been out of the precentral loop for a week and a half and I come back to this! I can't believe how fast things are progressing. Amazing to see the development we've had in 7 short months.
    I am having a few problems with this though, as it seems like others are too. I am able to download Upstart, DOOM, and Quake from Preware, but after rebooting my phone, I am unable to open them. I get the same, msg flashes that it's starting and then blinks away with no action taking place, problem. I've uninstalled and reinstalled numerous times, but nothing changes. Neither DOOM no Quake works. I tried opening DOOM with Terminal, but I get a msg stating that doom can't be found. Tried a few different iterations of the ./doom & cammand line, but none worked.
    I do have MyTether installed, but patch is disabled. Running 1.3.5. When installing Upstart, it confirms the install, but I get the following error msg in the IPKG Log

cp: cannot stat '/media/cryptofs/apps/usr/share/dbus-1/system-services/org.webosinternals upstartmgr.services': No such file or directory

Here are some screenshots of my problems. Any thoughts?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by morrison0880; 01/04/2010 at 04:48 PM. Reason: typo
Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast