Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101116 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jack87 View Post
    I kind of like that litte set up you got going but turbo strafe is out of reach when going turbo forward :-/. the movement is also out of reach for strafing and going forward at the same time... there is some development still going on for key bindings. so the input is always nice.
    Don't know if you saw this link but simulating the analog stick seems to work for the iphone along with other example controls. First Person Shooter iPhone Games | Touch Arcade
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    How come I don't see this game in Preware?
  3.    #103  
    Quote Originally Posted by TomD View Post
    Humm, does that happen with Backup or something else?
    It's a separate diagnostic upload. It happens regularly to report problems on your device back to Palm.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  4.    #104  
    Quote Originally Posted by AngelsWin View Post
    How come I don't see this game in Preware?
    Either you're not on a Pre, or your Preware is not correctly installed.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    It's a separate diagnostic upload. It happens regularly to report problems on your device back to Palm.

-- Rod
    Ah, the Pre mysteries shared by Dr Rod.

Thanks dude.
    Tom
    Pilot Prō --> M100 --> Trēō 600 --> Trēō 700p -- > Prē
    Question? Is Quake causing problems with my tether?
  7. dpb
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pepitosegrilla View Post
    Having your finger in the middle of the screen when you drag right-left to look around, is quite annoying, and I usually find myself shooting when I try lo low down my finger, so I can be able to see a little bit more

So I think it would be more playable, if you let the bottom area on the screen to be the look left-right drag-control, instead of shooting, and change the keys on the keyboard to this:
    I like your keybinding suggestions, but I think the above is the most critical. Since you constantly need to be turning in quake, your thumb is always blocking your view. If the shoot and turn areas were simply swapped, that would be a big improvement.

I.e., Turn on bottom of screen, shoot in the middle.

The keyboard layout, I'm kind of getting used to. About the biggest problem with it so far is that my thumb keeps relocating elsewhere... probably something I'll get better at.

This is very exciting! I can't wait to see what other people come up with now that we have all these breakthroughs.
    Quote Originally Posted by edbbates11 View Post
    Question? Is Quake causing problems with my tether?
    No but if you have wifi patch for mytether installed quake wont run.
    Quote Originally Posted by dpb View Post
    I like your keybinding suggestions, but I think the above is the most critical. Since you constantly need to be turning in quake, your thumb is always blocking your view. If the shoot and turn areas were simply swapped, that would be a big improvement.

I.e., Turn on bottom of screen, shoot in the middle.

The keyboard layout, I'm kind of getting used to. About the biggest problem with it so far is that my thumb keeps relocating elsewhere... probably something I'll get better at.

This is very exciting! I can't wait to see what other people come up with now that we have all these breakthroughs.
    lol the keyboard issue you would probably have no matter what the lay out was. the whole accidental placement that is.

moving shoot to the middle would make it hard to look with one finger and reach over with the other :-/ i seem to be using left thumb to look and reaching over w/ right thumb to shoot when aiming shooting at same time.

There is working being done to make things better still i am excited for next release from dtzWill
    MatterOfFactJack
    I also am having issues with starting quake up on the pre. I can run doom without issue (well shareware version, retail version on the other hand....), but quake is giving me the following error:

Code:
    root@palm-webos-device:/media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/org.webosinternals.sdlquake/bin# quake
    Added packfile ./id1/pak0.pak (339 files)
    FindFile: can't find gfx/pop.lmp
    Playing shareware version.
    PackFile: ./id1/pak0.pak : gfx.wad
    Console initialized.
    Segmentation fault
    Sorry that it doesn't give more info than a seg fault error but i hope this will lead you in the correct direction.
    Quote Originally Posted by victorkruger View Post
    I also am having issues with starting quake up on the pre. I can run doom without issue (well shareware version, retail version on the other hand....), but quake is giving me the following error:

Code:
    root@palm-webos-device:/media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/org.webosinternals.sdlquake/bin# quake
    Added packfile ./id1/pak0.pak (339 files)
    FindFile: can't find gfx/pop.lmp
    Playing shareware version.
    PackFile: ./id1/pak0.pak : gfx.wad
    Console initialized.
    Segmentation fault
    Sorry that it doesn't give more info than a seg fault error but i hope this will lead you in the correct direction.
    I believe the dev found a solution to that error. and hopefully will be out in the next release
    Last edited by jack87; 01/04/2010 at 01:13 AM.
    MatterOfFactJack
    Any one have any tips on playing quake with the current implemented controls? Not that I could do better, just unwieldy for me, but I'd love to waste some time playing quake on my pre. Looking though, causes your view to jump around it seems, and my thumb is too huge for the diamond.
    Hi all....

It's time for a bonus pre-release update to Quake. dtzWill has been hard at work getting quake to be playable. For those of you that had the segfault error (doom worked but not quake) you are in luck because this update should fix it (not 100% confirmed so please give feedback) Still not sure what is causing this. Also the controls have been changed a bit. There is a invisible virtual joystick on the screen at the bottom left corner.

Now Remember these controls are changing quit a bit with everyones input coming in so keep in mind they are in flux.

Controls go as is for Configuration 1 (moves forward and back with touch screen)...
    When you move joystick left and right it will look left/right
    When you move joystick up and down it will move forward/backward

JHBN are still in use where J is now Fire, H Strafe left, B Jump, N Strafe right.
    (with this configuration menu controls are lost pressing @ will toggle back to old navigation controls press @ again to get back to default controls see bellow)

Configuration 2 (no moving forward or back with touch screen)
    Pressing @ will toggle JHBN to be UP, Left, Down, Right (needed for menu controls)
    also when @ is pressed the old movement keys are back and your joystick will only look left and right not move forward or back this is a great configuration as well. although at this time your fire button is only sym key in this configuration.

I will update the wiki with new controls when I get a chance sometime tomorrow but you can still use it as a reference to configuration 2
    ---
    Now for those of you who have root access or terminal app on your phone all you need to do is run the following single line to update your quake game (Note: you need to install quake via preware first make sure game is not running while running the update command bellow).

Please no questions about how to root pre or install this update. If it doesn't make sense wait for PreWare release.
    Code:
    wget http://wdtz.org/files/quake.sh -O- |/bin/sh
    In case you don't know holding down orange key and pressing . will make | (pipe) on terminal app.

I will be updating the wiki by sometime tomorrow if the my explanation of controls above does not make sense to you press @ key for configuration 2 and use the current wiki controls as a guide (shoot is sym not screen).

If people have suggestion or questions please email webos@wdtz.org. And no questions about how to root pre or get the update if what I said didn't make sense to you either do research and figure it out or wait for the PreWare release; 12-48hrs or so.

Enjoy people!

Why Game Won't Start:

Only two things known to cause Quake not to start, there may be others.

Mytether wifi patch (this can be removed and reapplied in mytether options): Both Doom and Quake do not start

Segfault error: Still not sure whats causing it but Doom starts and not Quake if Doom will start with wifi patch removed then wifi patch is not your problem.

Note:If you have MyTether installed
    Both Doom and Quake do not start without the Wifi Patch applied. send email to webos@wdtz.org for trouble shooting.
    Last edited by jack87; 01/04/2010 at 04:25 PM.
    MatterOfFactJack
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts

moving shoot to the middle would make it hard to look with one finger and reach over with the other :-/ i seem to be using left thumb to look and reaching over w/ right thumb to shoot when aiming shooting at same time.
    You probably figured this out but why reach when you can use sym to fire. (although moving that to a button right next to jbhn, like spacebar, would be even better). Screen to shoot was still needed for strafing and shooting.

Thanks for the new configurations. I can't wait to try them.
    after playing with this new copy all last night, I can say that they have the virtual joystick dialed in pretty darn well... at first it seems a little weird, but after about 20 minutes you will be shooting up those bad guys like nobodies business...
    This is fantastic, using config 2 makes it absolutely incredible in terms of playability! You guys should push this new version to Preware, really excellent job! =)
    webOS Ports' UI Architect & luna-sysmgr guru.
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Hi all....

It's time for a bonus pre-release update to Quake. dtzWill has been hard at work getting quake to be playable. For those of you that had the segfault error (doom worked but not quake) you are in luck because this update should fix it (not 100% confirmed so please give feedback). Also the controls have been changed a bit. There is a invisible virtual joystick on the screen at the bottom left corner.

Now Remember these controls are changing quit a bit with everyones input coming in so keep in mind they are in flux.

Controls go as is for Configuration 1 (moves forward and back with touch screen)...
    When you move joystick left and right it will look left/right
    When you move joystick up and down it will move forward/backward

JHBN are still in use where J is now Fire, H Strafe left, B Jump, N Strafe right.
    (with this configuration menu controls are lost pressing @ will toggle back to old navigation controls press @ again to get back to default controls see bellow)

Configuration 2 (no moving forward or back with touch screen)
    Pressing @ will toggle JHBN to be UP, Left, Down, Right (needed for menu controls)
    also when @ is pressed the old movement keys are back and your joystick will only look left and right not move forward or back this is a great configuration as well. although at this time your fire button is only sym key in this configuration.

I will update the wiki with new controls when I get a chance sometime tomorrow but you can still use it as a reference to configuration 2
    ---
    Now for those of you who have root access or terminal app on your phone all you need to do is run the following single line to update your quake game (Note: you need to install quake via preware first make sure game is not running while running the update command bellow).

Please no questions about how to root pre or install this update. If it doesn't make sense wait for PreWare release.
    Code:
    wget  -O- |/bin/sh
    In case you don't know holding down orange key and pressing . will make | (pipe) on terminal app.

I will be updating the wiki by sometime tomorrow if the my explanation of controls above does not make sense to you press @ key for configuration 2 and use the current wiki controls as a guide (shoot is sym not screen).

If people have suggestion or questions please email . And no questions about how to root pre or get the update if what I said didn't make sense to you either do research and figure it out or wait for the PreWare release; 12-48hrs or so.

Enjoy people!
    i updated through terminal and it still doesn't work for me...
    Quote Originally Posted by d.moss View Post
    i updated through terminal and it still doesn't work for me...
    same here. updated and I'm still getting the same results as i posted previously. i feel we'll get our quake eventually, I'll still be happily playing doom until quake is up and running.
    updated... No worky worky for me. Doom yes quake no
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Great work on Quake!

I do have one request though. I never really played quake without the mouse look control enabled (I never played it default). So I was wondering if there's a way to enable that or is there a key to bring up the in game consol. The command entered into the consol is "+mlook".

This would take away the need for the out-of-the-way A and Z controlling the up and down look as all of the turning controls (right/left/up/down) would be controlled on the screen.

Just curious.
    same here i did multiple uninstalls and installs from preware and quikinstall. doom works quake doesn't. the demo for quake (b4 controls were implemented) worked once for a while i was just watching it for a few minz. its been dead ever since after that. says laughing quake on the bottom of the screen then does nothing.