Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Ahh, thanks for that. ill edit my post so as not to cause confusion.
    just updated quake demo via preware, now quake and doom will not start. Any ideas?
    Controls

Controls were desighned with the idea of JHBN forming a diamond and when thumb is on J at 45 degrees holding phone comfortably you should be able to reach all directional keys easily without the need to take thumb off the keyboard.

Red: Movement
    J- Forward(Up)
    B- Backword Down)
    H- Strafe Left(Left)
    N- Strafe Right(Right)

Blue: Turbo
    I- Turbo Forward (Shift+Up)
    U- Turbo Strafe Left (Left)
    K- Turbo Strafe Right (Right)

Yellow: Weapons
    Select Weapon by pressing corresponding number 1-8

TouchScreen:

Look- To look drag your finger left and right along the center portion of the screen
    Jump- Tapping top right corner is jump. This is nice for running and jumping.
    Fire- Tapping entire bottom 9 pixels. This will allow you to reach with either thumb to fire ie. Look & Fire or Run/Move & Fire
    Esc- Back gesture is the Esc/Menu Key.
    Quick Weapon Switch- Tapping gesture lets you quickly switch to last weapon.

Last edited by jack87; 01/03/2010 at 01:26 PM.
    MatterOfFactJack
    This is just fantastic... And the JHBN layout is genius! you guys did an awesome job with this! The only real issue i have is with the mouselook. I know it's a very early build and all that, but could you make it a kind of 'virtual joystick' system instead of dragging at some point? Example, rendering a semitransparent dot/vertical bar on the left of the screen, ad the further left/right your touch is from said dot/bar, the faster you turn in said direction. Also, perhaps let the player turn and shoot at the same time?

Thanks a million guys, this is the start of something very special!

EDIT: The tap-to-shoot needs to be rapid-fire like clicking and holding the mouse in the PC version too. The nailguns and thunderbolt are practically useless otherwise.

DOUBLE EDIT: And the quick weapon switch in the picture just gives me an 'AUX25 is unbound, hit F4 to set.' But I guess you guys probably already know this

TRIPLE EDIT: The sounds still play with the ringer switch muted, but I suspect this is to do with Palm's implimentation of SDL as opposed to the app itself.

Sorry if I seem nitpicky, I'm just trying to help you guys perfect an already awesome app take that iPhone!
    Last edited by ShiftyAxel; 01/03/2010 at 06:11 AM.
    webOS Ports' UI Architect & luna-sysmgr guru.
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    Some Quake weirdness.

I installed the Quake demo(1.0.9) everything was fine.

Today I did a Preware update to Quake. It appeared to install OK. When I ran it I saw the Demo. Looking at Info and App Catalog->My Applications I see that Quake 1.0.9 is installed.

Now it really gets weird!

Calling up Calendar, I get a long wait and the no Calendar entries! I sync with Missing Sync and it syncs normally.

Looking around the Precentral, I notice that some have lost their Calendar data with the 1.3.5 update. Further some one has a work around:

http://forums.precentral.net/general...ndar-data.html

Now to get Calendar data back, I have to reapply the work around every time I boot.

Strange indeed!

EDIT: Removing and installing Quake, still leaves me with the Demo.
    Tom
    Pilot Prō --> M100 --> Trēō 600 --> Trēō 700p -- > Prē
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Outstanding props to you guys, great work. This latest release I think is amazing. Great use of the touchscreen.

Quote Originally Posted by ShiftyAxel View Post

TRIPLE EDIT: The sounds still play with the ringer switch muted, but I suspect this is to do with Palm's implimentation of SDL as opposed to the app itself.

Sorry if I seem nitpicky, I'm just trying to help you guys perfect an already awesome app take that iPhone!
    I think this is more of a WebOS bug. I noticed this with games back in June. I retested those games and they still are not silent when the mute all toggle is on. ESPN Zoom is one of them if you want to see it in action. I reported it to Palm here.
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TomD View Post
    Some Quake weirdness.

Today I did a Preware update to Quake. It appeared to install OK. When I ran it I saw the Demo. Looking at Info and App Catalog->My Applications I see that Quake 1.0.9 is installed.

Calling up Calendar, I get a long wait and the no Calendar entries! I sync with Missing Sync and it syncs normally.

Looking around the Precentral, I notice that some have lost their Calendar data with the 1.3.5 update. Further some one has a work around:

Now to get Calendar data back, I have to reapply the work around every time I boot.

Strange indeed!
    I'm totally guessing here but I bet Palm just looks at all apps installed, most likely just by the folder names. I question if they know what people are installing outside of the App Catalog. This could be good and bad. If this was a Microsoft device I would be very scared.
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cashen View Post
    I'm totally guessing here but I bet Palm just looks at all apps installed, most likely just by the folder names. I question if they know what people are installing outside of the App Catalog. This could be good and bad. If this was a Microsoft device I would be very scared.
    Except that Quake ran as a demo, which is the old version.
    Tom
    Pilot Prō --> M100 --> Trēō 600 --> Trēō 700p -- > Prē
    I'm having the exact same startup issue with quake...doom starts fine...but quake is a no go for me...any ideas?
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    A = look up
    Z = look down

I don't seem to have a "USE" key. Space = jump
    installing now.. you guys are awesome

.. everything works perfects.. i LOVE the button layout.. this is amazing
    The button layout is great but i just cant control this game with the touchscreen looking left and right is imo not precise at all.... cant focus on anything and sometimes it seems like it truns me arround 90-180

PS: i dont want to complain, but im wondering why all say the controls are so great, for me its unplayable not that big of a quake fan anyway... but great work guys
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    still not working for me.
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    Im having the same issue as d.moss. I have a newly 1.3.5 doctored pre. I installed Preware and then both Quake. It told me I had to install a script which I said yes to and then came back with install successfull. When I click the Quake icon, I get Quake starting and then nothing happens. I also installed Doom and getting same results. Am I supposed to download some sort of service to make this game run? I am reading all the posts above saying how great the game is and is making me crazy that I cant play it.. Any help would be so much appreciated. Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by TomD View Post
    Some Quake weirdness.

Strange indeed!

EDIT: Removing and installing Quake, still leaves me with the Demo.
    The Calender issue has nothing to do with Quake. It started before the Quake demo came out.
    Quote Originally Posted by d.moss View Post
    the demo won't launch for me. It say "quake: Starting" but goes no further.. Any ideas?

same here! I have 1.3.5 and the mytehter is not as of yet is not on my phone.
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    I just tried installing using WebOSQI and it works fine. I also installed the Upstart service in WebOSQI and might have something to do with the success. I suggest deleting Quake and Doom and then use the new WebOSQI to install the games. Good luck..
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonic-NKT View Post
    The button layout is great but i just cant control this game with the touchscreen looking left and right is imo not precise at all.... cant focus on anything and sometimes it seems like it truns me arround 90-180

PS: i dont want to complain, but im wondering why all say the controls are so great, for me its unplayable not that big of a quake fan anyway... but great work guys
    The controls are still not perfect, but a great leap forward. I was able to pass the first area and went far into the second one before a trap killed me (on easy at least).

Touching the look area (not just touch and sliding) makes you turn when you're just trying to reposition your thumb. Perhaps dedicated left and right turn areas on the touchscreen may work better.

You can turn and strafe at the same time and you and turn and shoot at the same time, but turning, strafing and shooting at the same time needs three fingers. I'm not sure how to implement that though. Don't know if it's possible on the iphone either. Just have to dodge first or shoot first.

Some iphone control examples here: First Person Shooter iPhone Games | Touch Arcade
    Last edited by spare; 01/03/2010 at 10:01 PM.
    dude, I'm bummed! I can't play it! My icon lights up, says Quake loading, then nothing I don't have myTether either. Doom works for me just fine BTW...
    The controls definetly take some getting use too! But for an upstart program this is awesome Great Work Guys keep it up
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast