Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5101112131415161718 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
    I have a quick question...AGAIN! Lol... in the Quake video on YouTube, it shows the guy using controls to look up and down in the game.. Has that been taken away in the latest Quake update??
    I've tried all button combos but I can't get my character to look up or down...not that it's really needed...but I thought it was a nice touch in the video I watched...

Any ideas...or thoughts on what's happened?? Thank you!!!
    you have to press @ to convert bacl to regular key oard then a and z will make you look up and down, then to move and shoot like normal you gotta toggle keyboard back with @ again.
    For some reason both Quake and Doom arent working. I hit the icon and it shows in the black bar below that its launching, but nothing ever happens. My guess is that it is a problem with the pustart manager. What can I do to get this fixed?
    Quote Originally Posted by ms2474 View Post
    For some reason both Quake and Doom arent working. I hit the icon and it shows in the black bar below that its launching, but nothing ever happens. My guess is that it is a problem with the pustart manager. What can I do to get this fixed?
    Probably upstart. The only time this ever happened to me I used webos doctor without uninstalling all the homebrew apps/patches. I had to reinstall upstart manager to get them to work again. Might want to give that a go.
    Perfect. It is working great now. Now I just need to install the full version. I just copy the pak0 and pak1 files to the bin/id1? or is there more to it?
    I don't know how to technically make this work, but I've been putting a lot of thought into the controls for the game. As I have been finding it quite difficult even on easy.

I think it would be better to have two virtual sticks. Let me explain, if people like this idea, maybe it would be possible to make the change, and see if people prefer it.

Left Virtual Stick
    Up = Move Forward
    Down = Move backwards
    Left = Strafe Left
    Right = Strafe Right

Right Virtual Stick
    Up = Look Up/Down (y-axis)
    Down = Look Up/Down (y-axis)
    Left = Turn left
    Right = Turn Right

People will instantly recognise that this is the modern setup for fps on console controls that use two analogue sticks.

So you ask: What about the fire button.

I propose an intelligent firing button. That understands the different weapons being used in the game.

Single Shot Weapons
    You press the left gesture area, ie just to the right of the right virtual stick.
    This causes things like grenade launchers/shotguns to fire a single shot.

Automatic Weapons
    For this I propose that the left gesture area, now behaves like a firing toggle. Because when you are playing the game, you are either shooting or your not shooting with automatics. So you toggle firing on, perform your wicked circle strafe of death around the enemies, and then again tap the left gesture area to turn off firing.

I think this would work better, because I find the @ then A/Z keys awkward, and also not being able to circle strafe, to dodge and shoot, is making the game difficult.

I you don't understand what I'm proposing, I would be willing to draw it.

Regards,

phufbq
    Quote Originally Posted by phufbq View Post
    I don't know how to technically make this work, but I've been putting a lot of thought into the controls for the game. As I have been finding it quite difficult even on easy.

I think it would be better to have two virtual sticks. Let me explain, if people like this idea, maybe it would be possible to make the change, and see if people prefer it.

Left Virtual Stick
    Up = Move Forward
    Down = Move backwards
    Left = Strafe Left
    Right = Strafe Right

Right Virtual Stick
    Left = Turn left
    Right = Turn Right

People will instantly recognise that this is the modern setup for fps on console controls that use two analogue sticks.

I propose an intelligent firing button. That understands the different weapons being used in the game.

Single Shot Weapons
    You press the left gesture area, ie just to the right of the right virtual stick.

Automatic Weapons
    For this I propose that the left gesture area, now behaves like a firing toggle. Because when you are playing the game, you are either shooting or your not shooting with automatics. So you toggle firing on, perform your wicked circle strafe of death around the enemies, and then again tap the left gesture area to turn off firing.

I think this would work better, because I find the @ then A/Z keys awkward, and also not being able to circle strafe, to dodge and shoot, is making the game difficult.

Regards,

phufbq
    That is a great idea. I customized the controls so that the keyboard and the virtual joystick work together quite nicely. I would love a dual joystick option. Maybe different options could be incorporated. For example maybe a button on the keyboard (in action mode) could move through the different joystick options or even bring up a selection menu.
    By the way, I have the full version up an running. It works perfectly. Now we just need to look into the multyplayer setup. It shows that no connections are available. Maybe we just need the Pre to recognize the connections on the pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by couch1970 View Post
    I have a quick question...AGAIN! Lol... in the Quake video on YouTube, it shows the guy using controls to look up and down in the game.. Has that been taken away in the latest Quake update??
    I've tried all button combos but I can't get my character to look up or down...not that it's really needed...but I thought it was a nice touch in the video I watched...

Any ideas...or thoughts on what's happened?? Thank you!!!
    that's my video your talkin about my youtube name is chumpinhardcore
    am I correct. what i did was bound jump to lookup thats why you see me jumping with the keyboard instead of the screen.
    Last edited by kanesis; 01/13/2010 at 04:03 PM.

Left Virtual Stick
    Up = Move Forward
    Down = Move backwards
    Left = Strafe Left
    Right = Strafe Right

Right Virtual Stick
    Left = Turn left
    Right = Turn Right

Single Shot Weapons

Automatic Weapons

Regards,

phufbq

Great idea i would like this very much and your correct in above statements
    i think it'd be great if the stick that is currently on the left would STRAFE left or right and walk forward or backward, looking left and right can be done by moving your finger across the screen (look left=swipe left, look right=swipe right; outward from the middle of the screen).. bottom right tap for fire, top tap for jump
    Global Posts
    303 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by klubhead View Post
    i think it'd be great if the stick that is currently on the left would STRAFE left or right and walk forward or backward, looking left and right can be done by moving your finger across the screen (look left=swipe left, look right=swipe right; outward from the middle of the screen).. bottom right tap for fire, top tap for jump
    I agree. I like the idea of swiping to look rather than a joystick. Seems like it would be more controlled. Like the iphone demo video. The joystick requires your thumb to stay put on the screen for the best results. Lifting your thumb to shoot/jump would mess it up.

I think quake used to have a swipe on the left side to look in the first webos release. Maybe this could be put on the right side with the joystick on the left like it is.

Left Virtual Stick
    Up = Move Forward
    Down = Move backwards
    Left = Strafe Left
    Right = Strafe Right

Right Virtual Stick
    Left = Turn left
    Right = Turn Right

Single Shot Weapons

Automatic Weapons

Regards,

phufbq

Nice for you guys that like that control scheme, but I don't play shooters on consoles because I hate that scheme. If the WebOS Internals guys implement this I'd say make it a second control scheme if possible for the people that don't like the 2 thumbstick method of FPS gaming.
    Global Posts
    303 Global Posts
    Since there are a number of people who have all suggested good control schemes, I wonder if it would be possible to sort of customize our own...

I'm sure the touchscreen controls are not terribly easy to code such as keymapping, but with some examples to work from, perhaps many of us could fumble through them??? Maybe the developer could comment. I'm betting the source files are available. I'm no programmer, but if I knew what I was looking for and had some examples (such as the current control scheme code) to work from, I'd be brave enough to dabble in it. But I wouldn't begin to know where to start.

Not to take anything away from the way it is now, because it is AWESOME FUN and I greatly appreciate the work of the developers and testers. But since so many have different opinions of perfect control, maybe the developer would rather give a short tutorial and let everyone have at it for themselves...

Just an idea. In the end I'd rather see multiplayer enabled for sure... but perhaps the dev could comment if this is possible
    Quote Originally Posted by cdjh View Post
    I agree. I like the idea of swiping to look rather than a joystick. Seems like it would be more controlled. Like the iphone demo video. The joystick requires your thumb to stay put on the screen for the best results. Lifting your thumb to shoot/jump would mess it up.

I think quake used to have a swipe on the left side to look in the first webos release. Maybe this could be put on the right side with the joystick on the left like it is.
    agreed! exactly man, i forgot the first control scheme was like that.. if the 'look' controls were like that now it'd be awesome
    how by chance do i send a bug report the game keeps crashing in the same part.Its the full version not the demo.
    Quote Originally Posted by first_adam2k View Post
    how by chance do i send a bug report the game keeps crashing in the same part.Its the full version not the demo.
    Send me an email at webos@wdtz.org and I'll give it a look .
    Quote Originally Posted by ms2474 View Post
    This app is absolutely amazing! It has been put together extremely well. The cheats even work haha!

Any word on multiplayer? This would be great!
    I think the multiplayer was actually close to working in the first release.

The issue was the the network code and mytether didnt' get along, so (before we realized it was mytether) I removed that code so everyone could play.

That said the reports said it didn't work but I never had a chance to investigate.

Long story short now that people realize mytether botches your device, I could push the code back and see what can be done about getting it up and working .

No promises though, sorry .

That said, I don't foresee any sort of connection-helping UI/server browser, since the original game didn't have one. So not really sure how this would work out, but even LAN multiplayer (or over 3g?! haha) would be excellent.

Oh in case you don't recognize me, I'm the developer for this app .

Left Virtual Stick
    Up = Move Forward
    Down = Move backwards
    Left = Strafe Left
    Right = Strafe Right

Right Virtual Stick
    Left = Turn left
    Right = Turn Right

Single Shot Weapons

Automatic Weapons
    This is an interesting idea. The two joystick idea is frequently request and probably wouldn't be too crazy to implement. The look up/down was ditched early on because of the way quake handles mouselook up/down.... but perhaps that's worth revisiting.

Your idea about the firing is crazy and interesting. Crazy enough it might work. I'm busy with someone else presently (sorry!) but when I have some free time I'll play around with this idea and see if I can't make something happen.

Regards,

phufbq
    A/Z with '@' is a hack anyway, for sure. It's hard figuring out good controls! .
    Quote Originally Posted by cdjh View Post
    Since there are a number of people who have all suggested good control schemes, I wonder if it would be possible to sort of customize our own...

I'm sure the touchscreen controls are not terribly easy to code such as keymapping, but with some examples to work from, perhaps many of us could fumble through them??? Maybe the developer could comment. I'm betting the source files are available. I'm no programmer, but if I knew what I was looking for and had some examples (such as the current control scheme code) to work from, I'd be brave enough to dabble in it. But I wouldn't begin to know where to start.
    I think reasonable defaults will work better, unfortunately. The time it would take to make them scriptable/customizable is intense, and ultimately I'm not sure it's worth it. Not that it wouldn't be crazy useful, and I'd love to see threads of people posting their own builds, but I only have so many hours unfortunately.

Not to take anything away from the way it is now, because it is AWESOME FUN and I greatly appreciate the work of the developers and testers. But since so many have different opinions of perfect control, maybe the developer would rather give a short tutorial and let everyone have at it for themselves...
    Glad you like it .
    This is an idea, perhaps I'll take one of the control scheme ideas here and implement it, and publish the patch and explain what I did and why.

Not sure enough people would be motivated to fix it really since even if you don't love the controls a)I don't think people hate hate hate them and b)no matter what I don't think you'll be playing competitively (unless against other pre's ) in the near future hehe, so just kick down the difficulty and have fun .

Thanks for your thoughts, I'll see what I can do. Believe me when I say I'd love to spend eternity doing crazy things like scripting touchscreen interface, but alas other projects and life sometimes get in the way so you gotta prioritize .