Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 27891011121314151617 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
    I love that idea for the PS2 controller type of scheme. As far as the volume buttons and all, i think theres a way to work around that, maybe just having the volume options somewhere on the key pad?! or in the option menu type of thing?! relocate them some how if thats possible?! But Quake is freakin awesome and i appreciate all the work thats being put into it! You guys Rock!! Keep up the Great work!
    I downloaded Doom, Quake, and Supertux, and TetriCrisis tonight. They all work beautifully. What an exciting time it is indeed to be a Pre owner!
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesCarnley View Post
    This seems like the ultimate control scheme for FPS on the Pre. I love it.

Hopefully this can be implemented in PreQuake soon. The current control scheme is limiting and doesn't provide for looking around. This control scheme allows for full fluid motion while still being able to shoot and perform other tasks.

Bravo on the idea btw.
    I do agree that this would be great...but thinking it should be flipped. Fire and jump should be more accessible. Make shoot/fire the home button and jump the gesture area. Weapon toggling seems OK with the volume rocker with the left thumb. Also, Quake requires a bit of running, perhaps touching the gesture area while moving forward could run?
    Hi,

I believe I am getting what most people are getting when trying to get version 1.1.0 of Quake.

I first installed via Preware, which stated it was version 1.1.0 but after installing 'launcher' said it was version 1.0.9 and so does Quake itself.

After making sure that Quake was not running (I used jStop) I used the command line upgrade listed on WebOS Internals .. wget...

I did that from Terminal on the Pre, and it looked like it worked as far as I can tell.

I am not running MyTether and I am on WebOS verson 1.3.5.1

At this point, I will wait until it's figured out, but if there is anything I can do to provide information to aid in getting the resolved please let me know.

Also, I read in the post that this is a demo and not the 'full' game.

Is it possible to get the 'Full' game if we don't own a copy of Quake on the PC?

I just assumed it was a proof of concept app?

However, I did make a donation to help you guys do the best work possible.

Rob

PS Yes, multiplayer games would be a lot of fun! I am an Xbox owner, currently playing Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 and Borderlands.

gamertag: powerconduit
    Last edited by rlanza1054; 01/06/2010 at 02:23 AM. Reason: grammer
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Quote Originally Posted by doctorzeph View Post
    Quake looks amazing on the Pre. Such impressive speed/responsiveness. A terrific sign of things to come for the Pre. Very thankful to the WebOS Internals group.
    If you like the performance of Quake... it isn't even using the GPU... hows that for a sign of things to come!

Quote Originally Posted by projectx58 View Post
    I love that idea for the PS2 controller type of scheme. As far as the volume buttons and all, i think theres a way to work around that, maybe just having the volume options somewhere on the key pad?! or in the option menu type of thing?! relocate them some how if thats possible?! But Quake is freakin awesome and i appreciate all the work thats being put into it! You guys Rock!! Keep up the Great work!
    The problem isn't with the volume keys adjusting the game volume... the problem is that the volume keys would adjust the volume for the whole phone. It would adjust the overall volume of everything whenever you fired or jumped with taht control scheme. The only way around it would be a patch to the OS that would disable the vilume adjustment functionality of those buttons completely.

The vast vast vast majority of people woudl not like being able to adjust the volume of their phones with teh volume buttons. I for one know that I would not play Quake on my phone if it meant that I could not adjust my phone volume.
    a good way around would be to press the home button or minimize the game which would free up the buttons to adjust the volume again.
    I don't think using any of the hardware buttons for gaming is a great idea.

Those buttons were not designed to be pressed eleventy billion times an hour as they would be if used that way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Indecom View Post
    a good way around would be to press the home button or minimize the game which would free up the buttons to adjust the volume again.
    you are still missing the problem...

when the game is in full screen mode, the button would not be able to only do jump and fire...

it would do jump and volume down at the same time

it would do fire and volume up at the same time

the only way to prevent this would be to patch the phone to remove the volume adjustment from the volume buttons making them worthless for anything other than jumping and shooting in quake.

I for one do not want to have 2 butons on my phone that are worthless for anything other than quake.

That and what idontwant2know about the durability of those buttons.
    thought I'd give my 2 cents. Love the game. Runs great. My only complaint is that the onscreen joystick is hard to use accurately. It needs to maybe take up a larger area on the screen. I was doing well in the game before the last update and now I don't last 5 minutes lol. Been trying to get used to it but haven't had much luck.
    -tony
    do you run at all? i can look up and down..move side to side...but cant move fwd.
    I have a friend that has a pixi and he was wondering if it was possible to get this running on it.

He's asked on the forums before but his question was completely ignored. Can anybody clear this up.

Please and thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by BronTron View Post
    I have a friend that has a pixi and he was wondering if it was possible to get this running on it.

He's asked on the forums before but his question was completely ignored. Can anybody clear this up.

Please and thank you.
    I noticed you posted this in the Doom thread too, and I'm afraid the answer is no. As far as I'm aware, only the Pre has SDL and the GPU.
    webOS Ports' UI Architect & luna-sysmgr guru.
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    One problem I see with the "ultimate control scheme" is lifting your
    finger from the touch screen often changes the effective center of the
    point of pressure. I spent a few hours last night playing Quake with
    the new virtual joystick (helps to turn the "mouse" sensitivity down some),
    and it was all ok as long as I didn't lift my left thumb. If I did though, I'd
    often find it throwing my aim completely off. Finding center again
    after a jump was also a pain. Putting another virtual
    joystick on the right side would only make this worse as you constantly
    lift your finger to jump or fire, and then back on the joystick (in exactly
    the right spot, I might add) to move or look around.

ian
    Quote Originally Posted by ShiftyAxel View Post
    I noticed you posted this in the Doom thread too, and I'm afraid the answer is no. As far as I'm aware, only the Pre has SDL and the GPU.
    thank you for responding. and i will be sure to let him know.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    One problem I see with the "ultimate control scheme" is lifting your
    finger from the touch screen often changes the effective center of the
    point of pressure. I spent a few hours last night playing Quake with
    the new virtual joystick (helps to turn the "mouse" sensitivity down some),
    and it was all ok as long as I didn't lift my left thumb. If I did though, I'd
    often find it throwing my aim completely off. Finding center again
    after a jump was also a pain. Putting another virtual
    joystick on the right side would only make this worse as you constantly
    lift your finger to jump or fire, and then back on the joystick (in exactly
    the right spot, I might add) to move or look around.

ian
    and yes i totally agree with this. i just messed with it for an hour or so and that is the only way i could play without ending up walking into walls.
    i think everything is great the way it is now, the only improvement i'd like to see that i can think of would be a "faded joystick" in the bottom left, that way we would know where to press and where to keep our thumb.. i keep meaning to turn slightly only to jerk to the side super quick totally missing a target lol.. but i'm definitely able to get use to it
    Quote Originally Posted by Mannyman View Post
    Something like this:
    [url= - Unreal Engine 3 [/url]

[url= Epic Demonstrates Unreal Engine 3[/url]
    I sure do hope the other device mentioned is the pre. Maybe then can we again dominate CES
    Global Posts
    303 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mannyman View Post
    This is using the right thumb to look as a mouse on the screen. The best method to look, IMO. Using the right thumb as a joystick would be very hard although the move/strafe with the left thumb is close to ideal now. The one problem I see (other than the hours of hard work for those involved) is that the iphone has a larger screen so having your thumbs all over it is less intrusive. We might find the pre screen is to crowded this way. But I'd sure love to try it like this.
    I downloaded the new Oregon Trail and it crashed all over the place. I removed Quake and the Upstart Service, restarted the phone and Oregon Trail started working without crashing (after about 30-40 min of game play.) Don't know about the other new games, but could be an issue.
    i wouldnt bet on it.... as far as i know these games are standalone application that wont modify any other system files.

PS: just tried the last beta versions. i like the on screen joystick (not the Jump thing, far to big ) but the game seems to be a bit slower imo. Cant wait to see this running under opengl.