Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Indecom View Post
    Yes it is, you have to press @ first to disable action keyboard then you can type away.
    okay. swear i did that. if it works, then cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxSMoke777 View Post
    Who said it would be simple? What, exactly, about any of this project has been simple? If it was simple, I'd have done it myself!

The Pre only has 3 hard buttons, and the two volume buttons are the best candidates for use. Well I'm certain that wrestling control of those buttons away from the phone's OS won't be easy, as I'm certain that getting Quake to run in the first place wasn't easy either. Clearly, these guys can work miracles, and I'm appreciate them considering pulling off just one more. I'm certain they can do it.

Btw, I've put quite some time and consideration into my proposal, and registered on this forum just to share it. From what I can see, you are NOT involved in any of the software development, so I'd appreciate it if you'd not dismiss this idea so flippantly. If you have something constructive to add, please do so. Otherwise this doesn't concern you.
    Wow! Really? Was there any need for this? And honestly, how much time could it have really taken for you to come up with this?
    you know if you ask me that scheme is pretty similar to my ultimate control scheme if I were to start programming an fps on the pre. Granted he was out of line with his response, I'm not choosing sides here, just saying if we could actually find a way to relenquish volume controls from webOs and turn those buttons into bindable controls then that would make pre gaming in the fps dept far superior to iphone fps gaming, with the right tweaks to that idea, maybe some added motion control gestures or holding the bottom of the gesture area then using one of the volume buttons could do an altogether different action? Seems pretty cool what this phone could do with the right hands at the helm.
    Last edited by Indecom; 01/05/2010 at 04:36 PM. Reason: typo
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    A fully functional Quake is available in Preware.

This one is courtesy of dtzWill and myself.

Video is at YouTube - webosinternals's Channel ...

The wiki page is at Application:Quake - WebOS Internals including a nice diagram of the keymap from jack87.

-- Rod
    I think the controls for Quake should be like the D-pad which is to the opposite side. On the left side instead of the right side. the controls feels much easier to adapt to when the moving controllers are on the left hand side. hope they provide a option for this?!
    i don't know if you guys are still taking suggestions for controls, but i was so blown away by the implementation of the virtual joystick that i say why not go all way and have a dual analogue setup. the left stick would be for movement, the right stick for aiming, and tapping anywhere on the screen would shoot.

or you could use the gesture area to shoot considering it wouldn't be needed to strafe anymore... my two cents. thanx for all the hardwork!
    I agree the control should be on the right side so I can move and change weapons with my right thumb.. It feel werid using my left thumb
    Global Posts
    303 Global Posts
    MaxSMoke777,

I like your control suggestion, but i think you may have been a bit harsh to Jack there. I'm sure he wasn't being a jerk when he responded.

I do think that a 'mouse look' style control with the right thunb would be better than a joystick style as the left thumb is. The original control scheme has a mouse look style on the left side. Left joystick with right mouse look - dang that'd be sweet. I'm sure if these controls can be improved on, they will be.

THANK YOU SO MUCH to everyone working on this!
    Just curious as you've done this many times now, there are further plans for optimization correct? Though the game runs fantastically, there are parts where it will freeze or lag up a bit, particles in general have this effect pretty greatly.
    I have a proposal for controls when the keyboard is closed. How about this?

It's kinda like PS2 controls, using the volume keys for Fire and Jump.They are the only 2 hard-keys on the phone. Swipe area would cycle weapons, and the screen corners would move and change views.

You can see a slightly larger picture here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/82233338@N00/4248153873
    Now those controls would be nice. I like the ones in place now but this would be a lot easier
    Ivan's Themes main thread

Oklahoma Sooner theme

If you would like to because you like my work or you just want to buy me a drink I would really appreciate it.
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    The new joystick control scheme is good when we get used to them but every console (360/ps3) fps player is already use to movement on left stick and look on right stick/buttons. I think iphone joystick control schemes are similar too. Would be great to have a standard fps joystick control scheme option across all fps games (non pc).
  11.    #211  
    From what I can see, you are NOT involved in any of the software development, so I'd appreciate it if you'd not dismiss this idea so flippantly. If you have something constructive to add, please do so. Otherwise this doesn't concern you.
    Jack87 has actually been the key person on the team as far as coordinating what the control layout should be. You will see his name listed ahead of mine in the maintainer list for the latest version of Quake.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    So, Jack mentioned multiplayer, is that feature a possibility on the next patch?
    I have a proposal for controls when the keyboard is closed. How about this?

It's kinda like PS2 controls, using the volume keys for Fire and Jump.They are the only 2 hard-keys on the phone. Swipe area would cycle weapons, and the screen corners would move and change views.

You can see a slightly larger picture here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/82233338@N00/4248153873
    This seems like the ultimate control scheme for FPS on the Pre. I love it.

Hopefully this can be implemented in PreQuake soon. The current control scheme is limiting and doesn't provide for looking around. This control scheme allows for full fluid motion while still being able to shoot and perform other tasks.

Bravo on the idea btw.
    Very interesting and excellent progress...

I like the latest changes and joystick control...which is much better then before and less prone to wasting bullets. It is absolutely amazing how quick things have progressed and I suspect it did not happen in minutes programming wise?

Whoever is involved a Big Thumbs Up and Thank You!

In reference to the dual virtual sticks and volume control....great idea and mockups and if anyone can make it happen webOS-internals can...

Thanks again...
    here is the problem with using the volume/center/power buttons... making them do something in the game is trivial... that would only take dtz a few minutes to amke them do something...

...the problem comes in when you try to not make them do their original function...

The jump and fire buttons could easily be on the volume buttons, but it would also be adjusting the volume, which would be popping up the notification area to show the new volume. This is not a good polished approach.
    new game supertux!!! Try it out it's like mario but the controls in the kb are not working :/
    supertux uses the accelerometer for alot of the controls, makes it alot of fun.
    I wish you could use the kb for playing supertux I don't like using the accelerometer
    Quake looks amazing on the Pre. Such impressive speed/responsiveness. A terrific sign of things to come for the Pre. Very thankful to the WebOS Internals group.
  20.    #220  
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast