Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14192021222324
    You can boot from a cd but wouldn't be able to save any configurations you made

I'd advise getting a virtual machine application, like virtualbox, and installing linux on that.
    Alrighty, guess thats my best option, i'll play some games while this stuff is downloading. Does anybody have any suggestions on the kinds of changes you'd like to see in doom and i'll see what i can manage, once i get the environment set up and take a gander into the source.
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Indecom View Post
    Alrighty, guess thats my best option, i'll play some games while this stuff is downloading. Does anybody have any suggestions on the kinds of changes you'd like to see in doom and i'll see what i can manage, once i get the environment set up and take a gander into the source.
    I'd love to see a virtual joystick like the one you see in Quake. If I recall, you only need to Move, Shoot, Interact, and Change Weapons in Doom. Other useful controls would be Strafe and Run. Movement can be handled via the Virtual Joystick, as well as Shooting just like Quake. Interact/Use would be most intuitive if you simply tap the screen. Change weapons could also be handled the same way in Quake: Swipe up or down on the gesture area.

The other item on my wishlist would be music support. The Doom music is classic and goes a long way to complete the experience.
    I know, i love the song for e1m1 so much i learned to play it on my guitar, i was busting it out acoustically last night at my girlfriends house lol. Doom music is classic and frankly this game is lacking just for that one missing feature. One other thing i'd like to see is full definition graphics, no interpolated upscaling, cuz we know the pre can handle that and much much more.

I'll see what i can do, i'm installing ubuntu via virtualbox now, and we'll see how far i can get using a foreign OS lol

EDIT:
    Hey guys i got the pdk set up on my virtual ubuntu, and i compiled the doom source, however i can't transfer it to my pre for some reason, it's saying "could not resolve hostname pre: Name or service unknown, lost connection"

I'm not sure what that means but i followed all the steps, things compile right, i just can't transfer the stuff
    Last edited by Indecom; 01/13/2010 at 01:02 AM.
    any progress on this?
    I've been trying and trying but i can't for the life of me figure out why linux isnt transfering my compiled files to my phone.

I write "ssh doom doom1.wad root@pre:" and i get "could not resolve hostname pre: Name or service unknown, lost connection"

Can anybody tell me what steps i may have missed?
    In reading your previous posts, you probably need more help than I can give you. If you're trying to install DOOM, you should just do that using preware. Maybe you know this - can't tell - but the Doom1.wad file is just the map file for doom, not the game itself. It's nothing from anything you compiled. You're going to want to use scp, not ssh. Ssh is for making a terminal connection, and scp is for sending files.

Anyway, if you are just trying to send doom1.wad, you probably want to do something more like

scp doom doom1.wad root@pre:/media/internal/

Though you may have to use your actual username that you set up when you did your initial ssh installation instead of root. I'm not sure - I always use my username. You also may have to use the actual ip address of the pre instead of "pre," so

scp doom doom1.wad root@192.168.1.103:/media/internal/

where 192.168.1.103 is the ip of the phone.
    nighty night
    Quote Originally Posted by Pokerbrothersstudio View Post
    I had this same problem. Using terminal and a tiny bit of linux understanding I was able to find the game was not in the same location as others. This might also be your problem.

Try launching terminal and typing:

cd /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/org.webosinternals.sdldoom/bin

then type doom and it should launch.

If you get lost along the way you can type in each sub-directory one at a time. like: cd /media then cd cryptofs and so on like that.

Also if you get lost you can type ls to get a list of all files in the directory and you can probably find the correct path.

Hope that helps.
    what's the ( Try launching terminal and typing ) i dont know what that even is? i typed cd /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/org.webosinternals.sdldoom/bin
    in my phone but it just google searches it. plz get me started on changing my keys for doom on my pre. thx
    Quote Originally Posted by taskie View Post
    what's the ( Try launching terminal and typing ) i dont know what that even is? i typed cd /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/org.webosinternals.sdldoom/bin
    in my phone but it just google searches it. plz get me started on changing my keys for doom on my pre. thx
    You need to read before you post. He clearly states you need to type this in Terminal. You can't just type this from the home screen, of course it will google search. Please do some research first. Read this full thread before asking questions like this.
    New Username: PrfndHatrdOfMan
    Global Posts
    226 Global Posts
    Is this supposed to work on WebOs 2.x and Pre 2 too ??
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragone View Post
    Is this supposed to work on WebOs 2.x and Pre 2 too ??
    It didn't work on my 2.x Sprint Pre- nor my Pre 2. It's a shame, since it's more playable than Quake on the phone. (Not that I don't enjoy Quake, it's a blast, but Doom is better designed for keyboard-based play.)
    Richard Neff

My tutorials on WebOS development: Beyond 'Hello World!' | Getting Started - WebOS Development

My apps: Percent Table | SierraPapa
Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14192021222324