Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 39
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1  
    This is a thread for the Preware installers. It contains information on system requirements, how to use and known issues/resolutions.

    Please post any issues you have with the installer below and I will continue to update this first post with resolutions.

    Any comments/issues with Preware please post here http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...0-preware.html

    There are two standalone installers for Preware.
    One Java Installer - Supports Windows, Linux and MAC (Recommended)
    One DotNet Installer - Support Windows Only (Use if you have the Novacom drivers installed already and if you have issues with the Java installer)

    The Windows installer has the benift of not requiring the WebOSDoctor.jar file.

    Java Installer (Windows, Linux and MAC)

    Requirements:


    NOTE:
    If you are running a 64bit operating system please ensre the following:


    How to install Preware
    • Enable Developer Mode on your Pre (http://developer.palm.com/index.php?...=1552#dev_mode)
    • Restart your Pre (Hold down Power button, click Power then restart)
    • Double click the Preware Installer X.X.X.jar file
    • If you haven't installed Novacom drivers select Tools Menu>Install Drivers (Wait until complete)
    • Connect your Pre to your computer and select "Just Charge"
    • Click "Install Preware" and wait until installation is complete
    • Preware should now appear on your phone


    DotNet Install (Windows Only)

    Requirements:


    NOTE:
    If you are running a 64bit operating system please ensre the following:
    • You have 64bit Novacom drivers installed (Complete the steps above for the Java installer if they are not installed)


    How to install Preware
    • Enable Developer Mode on your Pre (http://developer.palm.com/index.php?...=1552#dev_mode)
    • Restart your Pre (Hold down Power button, click Power then restart)
    • Connect your Pre to your computer and select "Just Charge"
    • Double click the Preware Installer X.X.X.exe file
    • Click "Install Preware" and wait until installation is complete
    • Preware should now appear on your phone
    Last edited by greg_roll; 12/18/2009 at 11:14 PM.
  2. #2  
    Thank you for starting this thread!

    - Craig
  3. jdub2027's Avatar
    Posts
    65 Posts
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    #3  
    Is it Ok to use the installer (v0.9.5) with WebOS 1.3.5?
    Thanks.
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by jdub2027 View Post
    Is it Ok to use the installer (v0.9.5) with WebOS 1.3.5?
    Thanks.
    No, we will need to release a new version with 1.3.5 support.

    I will take down the current ones in the meantime.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  5. #5  
    Is there any possibility of getting Preware added to Palm's alternative package feeds so that it could be installed from AppScoop or such? Right now the steps required to install Preware on a new phone make it hard to convince family/friends that they should install it.
  6. #6  
    Unfortunately, there is no chance. Because Preware can install apps that do not go through Palm's channels, it is itself not accepted in those channels.

    -- Rod
  7. #7  
    did I miss something, or is there no link to download this standalone installer?
  8. mjsmiley's Avatar
    Posts
    89 Posts
    Global Posts
    101 Global Posts
    #8  
    I'm not seeing it either. This would be handy for me because Preware just decided to delete the package manager service while it was trying to update itself, and not it doesn't run...and Quick Install won't download feeds on my work computer.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by mjsmiley View Post
    I'm not seeing it either. This would be handy for me because Preware just decided to delete the package manager service while it was trying to update itself, and not it doesn't run...and Quick Install won't download feeds on my work computer.
    With the newer versions of Preware, Package Manager Service is included in Preware. No need to install the separate service now.
  10. #10  
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

    HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    Gerson likes this.
  11. #11  
    We uploaded the Preware 1.1.0 stand-alone installers yesterday. Please report if they work for you.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  12. #12  
    Is there a reason why these installers aren't mentioned on the Preware wiki page?

    I think that making these more easily available would be benefitial for new Pre users wanting to get into homebrew. Having to download WSQI to install this is usually deterring to most people I mention this to. It'd be much easier and appealing to just have an installer file to run.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by donnydonny View Post
    Is there a reason why these installers aren't mentioned on the Preware wiki page?

    I think that making these more easily available would be benefitial for new Pre users wanting to get into homebrew. Having to download WSQI to install this is usually deterring to most people I mention this to. It'd be much easier and appealing to just have an installer file to run.
    The main reason is because no-one has written a new-user step-by-step set of instructions for Windows, MacOSX and Linux that starts with a fresh install and describes every single prerequisite and step required.

    Are you going to be the person who writes those instructions now that you've done it?

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  14. hofs1's Avatar
    Posts
    460 Posts
    Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    #14  
    Just a question. Any chance that Preware could be installed by pointing the pre web browser to a site say...(install.preware.org) or whatever. its amazing how i can show people what this device can do but when they say how do i get that "stuff" i then need to explain precentral / webos internals / wosqi etc etc. they get all "confused".

    If preware could be installed via a link or even as an attachment via email it would make life so much easier when trying to bring the "simple non-patched" pre owners into the REAL world.

    im sure if this was possible you guys would have done it already but after showing off what the Pre can actually do this weekend to 3 new owners OTA installs would be great.

    Actually finding 3 new Pre owners this weekend was rather unexpected.
    T300 - T600 - T650 - T700p - T755p - T800w - Pre
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by hofs1 View Post
    Just a question. Any chance that Preware could be installed by pointing the pre web browser to a site say...(install.preware.org) or whatever. its amazing how i can show people what this device can do but when they say how do i get that "stuff" i then need to explain precentral / webos internals / wosqi etc etc. they get all "confused".

    If preware could be installed via a link or even as an attachment via email it would make life so much easier when trying to bring the "simple non-patched" pre owners into the REAL world.

    im sure if this was possible you guys would have done it already but after showing off what the Pre can actually do this weekend to 3 new owners OTA installs would be great.
    It is not possible.

    If it was possible, it would indicate a serious security vulnerability which Palm would need to close very quickly.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  16. hofs1's Avatar
    Posts
    460 Posts
    Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    It is not possible.

    If it was possible, it would indicate a serious security vulnerability which Palm would need to close very quickly.

    -- Rod
    Oh well...........thanks for the answer....ill just keep the link for the preware installer in my Pre to forward to others.
    T300 - T600 - T650 - T700p - T755p - T800w - Pre
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    The main reason is because no-one has written a new-user step-by-step set of instructions for Windows, MacOSX and Linux that starts with a fresh install and describes every single prerequisite and step required.

    Are you going to be the person who writes those instructions now that you've done it?

    -- Rod
    I can write up the instructions for Mac and PC, but don't have access to a Linux system, though. I'm going to PM you with some other questions I have regarding this.
  18. #18  
    Here's the instructions on how to install Preware using standalone installer:

    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...lone_installer

    This is useful for people like me who don't use Quick Install.
    Last edited by donnydonny; 06/07/2010 at 01:27 AM.
  19. #19  
    I just tried to use the standalone installer. Following the instructions on a Leopard mac to a T to no avail. It just doesn't recognize it or something. The application seems to be opening, the status bar changes to say IPKG installer and then it closes and still no preware on my Pre. What's up, nerds?
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Star_Destroyer View Post
    I just tried to use the standalone installer. Following the instructions on a Leopard mac to a T to no avail. It just doesn't recognize it or something. The application seems to be opening, the status bar changes to say IPKG installer and then it closes and still no preware on my Pre. What's up, nerds?
    Two things to remember: (1) Make sure you have webos doctor download on your computer, and novacomd is enable/running also. (2) Your phone should be in developer mode > type webos20090606, and it's on Just Charge not USB mode. Download the installer and press install. Wait a little... then phone will go off line for a little while. Check for preware in launcher at the bottom. Enable preware and then update to the latest.(you'll be prompted to do so)

    good luck.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions