Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post
    Is there a conceivable situation where not removing patches would put you in a mode where you couldn't get to Preware to update? I'm thinking about inter file dependencies where not both of the files get replaced. Most Patches are fairly high level, so this may never arise.

Very nice roadmap.

Palm OTA updates (at least unless they change their strategy down the line) will overwrite entire packages. Currently there are very few patches that touch multiple palm packages. So there is a chance for an OTA to update one package and another. If a patch was installed that modified files in both of those packages, removal would fail and thus updating would fail.

This would be a situation where EPR would be able to get you all set, EPR will be able to use the backups to recover the files in the package that Palm did not update and will remove the backups created for the files in the package that Palm did update. However if you modified files in the package that Palm did update before running EPR, EPR would recover old/bad files which would then require you to use Repair Utility to get all set.

There are relatively few paths to errors with AUPT but even in those rare cases there are nice user-friendly solutions. And of course worst case scenario is a trip to the doctor. Also it is not finalized yet so we may be able to come up with a solution for some of these rare events before finalizing. Stay Tuned

-Eric G

WebOS Internals Developer.
    Follow me on Twitter for updates to my projects: | Virtual Keyboard | wIRC | SuperTux | AUPT | KeyBoss | freeTether |

Donate
    I have to say I agree with everyone here...if it weren't for preware and webOSinternals in general, with the hardware/software issues I went through initially, I might have switched to *gasp* android. Thanks so much for your efforts and time spent selflessly helping other obtain knowledge of the OS and adding awesome features to our phones! I know the donations might not be sufficient, but the fact that you all continue to do all that you do and do not ask for more makes you all not only great programmers, but great people too! Keep up the good work and I can't wait to see what's in store next!
    By the way...I am by no means a programmer, but am on my way to learning webOS and on my way to hopefully writing an app. Anything I can do to help would almost even be an honor! PM or tweet me @cmus0621 if you need...it's the least I could do!
    Wow.

I am blown away.

Thank you.

I will add a link to this in the Getting Started: Preware article!

- Craig
    Thanks Rod & Crew! You guys are awesome!! Just sent long overdue donation. I'm not a programmer but also not afraid of the command line so if I can help let me know. GO PREWARE!!
    this is mouth dropping...
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

And the race is on! Which will come first, the new Preware where we can safely update even with patches while using it, or the new update?!
    Rod, and the crew at webOS internals

thank you for this kind of development, and forward thinking

and thank you, very sincerely for being such outstanding educators to those of us without a background in computers or programing. It has been an absolute pleasure finding that the people who are so brilliant at putting these things together, also happen to be patient, understanding and friendly human beings, who take time to not only explain what they are doing, but also actively anticipate the needs of those who are less technically inclined, and incorporate that into their development.

along that line, Rod and Jay seem to be not only acutely aware of the fact that people will install the various programs/patches/services they make available, without understanding how it works, and what potential pitfalls may arise, but respond to that with tools and ways to fix our own mismanagement and overzealous install enthusiasm.

the other community I came from was Maemo, where, at the time, some of these virtues were not as core. I learned a great deal from them, but I felt stymied at times from asking a question about this or that without being brusqly informed that google was a good resource. sometimes with reason, sometimes without.

Anyway, I just wanted to let you all know that i very much appreciate what is going on here.

I have a day-dream where palm decides that they should donate money, no-strings attached, for the purposes of helping pay the cost of upkeep Rod, Jay and all the internals group. I don't know the monetary price that the groups efforts are worth to palm, but the constant free press visa vi the developments made here (ie things like precorder all over the gadget blogs) must be worth something.

anyway, thanks.
    There are four lights.
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    amazing work, all. thank you for having the desire to make this beta device usable.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    You guys are tremendous...thank you!
    Thanks for the work on preware and the various patches that the internals group has come up with. As a developer, I understand the battle y'all have had to put up with just learning things like Mojo and the oddities of WebOS. As a mainframe programmer, I understand the complexity of what Preware is doing, recreating something an old mainframer would call SMP/E, a package for installing & tracking mods to the OS. And to do that in spare time in just a few months. Amazing effort guys.
    Author of Exch-Calc, Dog Years, Cat Years and all future creations of Pre-zy Software. Available in the Application Catalog.
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    What if some public spirited, dedicated, unpaid programmers beat Palm's release of 1.3.5 with the Super Preware update?

It could happen.
    Tom
    Pilot Prō --> M100 --> Trēō 600 --> Trēō 700p -- > Prē
  13.    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by TomD View Post
    What if some public spirited, dedicated, unpaid programmers beat Palm's release of 1.3.5 with the Super Preware update?

It could happen.
    A version of Preware with an update-all button, no confirmation screens for signed packages, and a corresponding patch feed, are all in alpha testing right now. There's still more work to be done, but the basic technology is coming into place.

Join the #webos-internals IRC channel over the holidays if you want to help out by testing. You need to be prepared to doctor your phone if anything goes wrong (since that's what alpha testing is all about).

But if no-one helps with alpha testing, it will never turn beta ...

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Join the #webos-internals IRC channel over the holidays if you want to help out by testing. You need to be prepared to doctor your phone if anything goes wrong (since that's what alpha testing is all about).
    -- Rod
    As far as Preware is concerned, is there any reason why this couldn't be done with the SDK's emulator?
  15.    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by hrminer92 View Post
    As far as Preware is concerned, is there any reason why this couldn't be done with the SDK's emulator?
    The alpha testing version of Preware and the Package Manager Service can be run on the emulator, but since the changes in this round are mainly about how to handle a webOS update (and especially how to handle multiple packages with post-install scripts being updated at the same time), you really need to doctor a device to 1.2.1, install patches, then OTA update to 1.3.1, to test out the new functionality.

Of course, everyone will have a chance to be part of this (whether they like it or not) when 1.3.5 arrives, but whether or not that goes smoothly will depend on how many people can help test the OTA upgrade path beforehand ...

We also need people to help us flesh out the regression testing suite. If you're a professional software test engineer and are interested in helping, please let me know.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    162 Global Posts
    can't wait guys. keep up the great work!
    How can I start alpha testing AUPT? I know I know I have to doctor to 1.3.1. Are there any bad side effects from downgrading from 1.3.5.1 to 1.3.1?
    Very impressive! As one who is not a developer-type but nonetheless has 50 or more home brew apps and patches installed, it is rather amazing to know the effort that goes into this project. Is all this doable because of the WebOS capabilities or is it common with other devices (iphone, for example) too?
    Thanks!
    Sounds very nice

Thanks for all the hard work Preware Team!!!!!
    Perhaps you guys could add these features on your roadmap...

They're actually extremely easy for a programmer, but that I am not.
    ========

(1) Allow landscape view when selecting the prompt to view installation scripts or logs!! Heck, don't even accept screen orientation from the accelerometers... just leave it in landscape all the time for scripts and logs. As much as the devs SHOULD want people looking at the installation scripts beforehand, it's really not possible with portrait mode.

(2) Allow searching from the List of Everything before actually tapping the List of Everything. While in the main [root] screen, just start searching with each keypress. Perhaps just have the List of Everything loading "in the background", but actually just below the screen.... so tapping the List of Everything just scrolls down a page?? Got this idea from the way NewsRoom works. Beautiful.

(3) Page down and page up buttons would be AWESOME for all the lists of apps, especially the List of Everything. This would save A TON of battery life when people browse in the List of Everything (tap and scroll = 90+% cpu usage). Buttons that don't automatically start a search are... Opt, Shift, Sym, Enter, & Backspace... but they _do_ have a function after you hit any other character key first. So I'm not entirely sure how this would pan out, but hopefully possible. I scroll a lot in the List of Everything and the thing eats my battery life up. At least in the browser, I can use spacebar & period to page up/down... but not sure if those same buttons would work in Preware.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast