Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1.    #1  
    Emergency Patch Recovery (EPR) is a package that will recover all installed patches that use AutoPatch Technology. It is a self-removing package that will go through the patch control area from AutoPatch Technology patches and recover all back up files as well as remove the ipkg data. It is OTA compatible in the sense that stock palm files will not be replaced by the backup files. It is intended for emergency situations and unforeseen situations, but also is known to be used by many to remove all patches.

EPR can be found in Preware under Available Pacakges -> Linux Applications -> all

-Eric G

WebOS Internals Developer.
    Follow me on Twitter for updates to my projects: | Virtual Keyboard | wIRC | SuperTux | AUPT | KeyBoss | freeTether |

Donate
    Eric,

Thank you for the Emergency Patch Recovery App and for starting this Thread!

I updated Getting Started: Homebrew Apps, Patches, and Themes with WebOS Quick Install to reflect this thread.

Here are the updated Emergency Patch recovery Instructions from Getting Started: Preware:

Remove all Patches and Themes - With WebOS Quick Install:
    1. Remove any theme: Click ToolsThemer Revert to Default
    2. Remove patches: Click ToolsTweaksRun EPRLuna Restart

Remove all Patches and Themes - With Preware:
    1. Remove themes: Tap Installed Packages Theme → Tap your theme → Remove → OK OK
    2. Remove patches: Tap List of Everything then type "emergency" and tap Emergency Patch RecoveryInstall
    3. Restart your phone: Press and Hold the top power button for 8 seconds → PowerRestart

Stuck Patches - If you have a patch or theme that just won't uninstall, you can use the WebOS Repair Utility. To remove all patches and themes, click Option → Override Compatibility. You can also restore factory settings by using the WebOS Doctor to remove all personal data.

webOS Updates - Before you update to a new webOS, first remove any theme then patches you might have installed. Homebrew Apps like Preware do not have to be uninstalled before a webOS update.

------------------------

22 other Emergency Patch Recovery threads started by users are closed and referred to this "official" thread.

Dozens of threads that included conversation about EPR in the past week are referred here as well so that they could find the new EPR information here.

In the future, when more threads get started on EPR, I have an official thread to merge them into. That way a search will not pick up those bogus threads.

Thanks, Eric!

- Craig
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 12/08/2009 at 01:33 PM. Reason: updating
    Maverick_[GER] likes this.
    I am so appreciative of this Patch! It really is a blessing for those of us that have customized our Pre adding Patches right and left to have it working as we wish, but may I make a suggestion?

As I mentioned, some of us have used long hours finding the different patches available to customize our Pre in a way that we like it but when the new release of WebOS comes, we must apply the patch to remove it all and then go back again to look at the patches that we liked to "re-customize" our Pre back again.

A very, very NICE enhancement would be that the EPR would keep a secret file stashed somewhere with the list of the patches installed that it is removing before installing the newest release of WebOS and the sequence in which they must be installed back again and to have something like an "Emergency Patch RESTORE" to have it return by adding all those patches that are still compatible with the new release of WebOS

Is this too much to ask?

Make it a Happy Holiday for all....!!!

If possible, Great. If not thanks anyway. This is an excellent tool.... Good thinking....
    The folks over at Preware are working on a solution for this now.

Quote Originally Posted by FAtristain View Post
    I am so appreciative of this Patch! It really is a blessing for those of us that have customized our Pre adding Patches right and left to have it working as we wish, but may I make a suggestion?

As I mentioned, some of us have used long hours finding the different patches available to customize our Pre in a way that we like it but when the new release of WebOS comes, we must apply the patch to remove it all and then go back again to look at the patches that we liked to "re-customize" our Pre back again.

A very, very NICE enhancement would be that the EPR would keep a secret file stashed somewhere with the list of the patches installed that it is removing before installing the newest release of WebOS and the sequence in which they must be installed back again and to have something like an "Emergency Patch RESTORE" to have it return by adding all those patches that are still compatible with the new release of WebOS

Is this too much to ask?

If possible, Great. If not thanks anyway. This is an excellent tool.... Good thinking....
    Quote Originally Posted by Lclarkjr View Post
    That would be a great addition to a great tool!!

Thanks to everyone at Preware!!
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    Until the solution comes out, I think we should just go to Preware (on our Pre) and look up the patches that we have installed and handwrite a list of those patches. Then, after the new release of WebOS is installed, just go to Preware and try to download the patches from your list that have been made compatible with the new version of WebOS that you have installed. I thought of downloading ipk files (of my preferred patches) to my hard drive on my desktop computer BEFORE doing the WebOS update (and before removing those patches from the Pre) but those ipk files would most likely be obsolete AFTER the WebOS update so that is probably NOT the way to do it. FYI: Probably also a good idea to write down all of your Homebrew apps on the phone in case you ever have to use WebOS Doctor to remove all personal data, homebrew apps and patches from your phone.
    Last edited by MrPre; 12/11/2009 at 09:50 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lclarkjr View Post
    Excellent!!! You guys are good...!!!
    Or, since the "memos" are a native app, you could put your list on there, and it would be saved regardless of the OS update.
    Quote Originally Posted by jakelaw View Post
    Or, since the "memos" are a native app, you could put your list on there, and it would be saved regardless of the OS update.
    Or You could use the Tasks app as it has checkboxes!

I use this untill the AUPT from PreWare is out of the test feed and in Beta.

Use the check boxes to check off the patches that are compatible w/ the next OTA, Then as the patches become available you can check them off.
    Please hit the thanks button if I helped you

If you've enjoyed my patches please feel free to donate towards further development.

Follow the link below.

The easiest way I've found so far is to take screen captures of lists of applied patches and apps in Preware and email them to myself.
    I ♥ my Pre.
    Eric,

I just noticed that you upgraded Emergency Patch Recovery on the 15th to 1.1.6!

The Changelog says that 1.1.6:

"Fixed removal of created files."

What does that mean?

The big change I was hoping for was
    Quote Originally Posted by emoney_33 View Post
    ...I should have added the restart flag to the EPR postinst, and I will be sure to fix that....
    Does EPR now automatically do the restart that it needs once it is installed?

That will save an entire step in the Getting Started: Preware guide, now called How to Use Preware for Homebrew Apps, Patches, and Themes.

- Craig
    Sorry new here but I think I have pretty much covered all bases before I posted. Thanks in advance for any help!

I can run the EPS from webos quick install no problems. It just tells me no themes installed.

When I try to download through preware i get the ipkg error.

A good majority of the apps I want to install (of course the most important) I get the ipkg error stating file previously installed. It doesnt matter if I try to install on my desktop using the quick install or if I go to preware. Ive also downloaded fresh copies of quick install to verify.

Used webos doctor and also did that scan and the scan found nothing.

Erased everything on my phone. Still the same issue.

Could it be because when the phone gets activated and makes you login and and do the backup automatically? Is this restoring the broken files? Is there a way to stop the back up and just completely wipe the phone out and start fresh?
    I brought this up at the update thread, but maybe it's better to ask it here.

I cannot find EPR, I never have been able to, not even when it was a patch. I followed the instructions (List of everything, search for 'emergency'), updated my feeds many times, turned on everything in preferences, and still nothing. The only things that show up are:

Move Emergency Call
    Limited Emergency Button

Is there a specific feed this lives on that maybe I don't have?
    Use the webOS Repair Instructions above.

- Craig
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    I brought this up at the update thread, but maybe it's better to ask it here.

I cannot find EPR, I never have been able to, not even when it was a patch. I followed the instructions (List of everything, search for 'emergency'), updated my feeds many times, turned on everything in preferences, and still nothing. The only things that show up are:

Move Emergency Call
    Limited Emergency Button

Is there a specific feed this lives on that maybe I don't have?
    It is in the webos-internals feed.

-Eric G

Follow me on Twitter for updates to my projects: | Virtual Keyboard | wIRC | SuperTux | AUPT | KeyBoss | freeTether |

Donate
    EPR doesn't show up for me either, but it used to.
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    I have shut off all feeds except the webOS internals feed and webOS patches feed, the EPR does not show there.

It shows:
    14 Available applications
    176 Available Patches
    41 Available Other

in the Available Applications, it only shows the apps installed on my phone. Almost as if the feed is not updating.

I have manually hit update feeds but cannot verify actual updates.

upon looking at the feeds screen, all of the other feeds show a path to their repositories. However, under the webOSinternals feed, it just says feed with no path to the repository.
    Last edited by mikeotron; 12/28/2009 at 11:21 AM. Reason: further investigation
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeotron View Post
    I have shut off all feeds except the webOS internals feed and webOS patches feed, the EPR does not show there.

It shows:
    14 Available applications
    176 Available Patches
    41 Available Other

in the Available Applications, it only shows the apps installed on my phone. Almost as if the feed is not updating.

I have manually hit update feeds but cannot verify actual updates.

upon looking at the feeds screen, all of the other feeds show a path to their repositories. However, under the webOSinternals feed, it just says feed with no path to the repository.
    Seems the webos-internals feed is not correctly in there then. You can try to reinstall the package manager service which should set up the feeds correctly.

-Eric G

Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeotron View Post
    The good news is that EPR is there. Try turning everything to YES in Preware Preferences and Manage Feeds like it says in the instructions:

Getting Started: Preware:

- Craig
    Quote Originally Posted by FAtristain View Post

Is this too much to ask?

Bring up the WebOS Install. Select Tool->Device Management (it may take a few minutes).
    Select patches from the drop down on the right side of the popup window.
    You can take screenshots (Ctrl-Alt-PrtSc) of your installed patches. Approximately 13 per window. Paste them into a word document and you don't have to write anything
    Peace,

DWash
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast