Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    The Package Manager Service (we prefer to abbreviate it as ipkgservice, rather than PMS) is the means by which front-end application installers like Preware (and PreLoad, and any other open source application installers that wish to use it) are able to install advanced homebrew applications containing installation scripts from open standard package feeds in a safe and secure manner.

In general, the end-user should never notice ipkgservice. It should just operate when called by the front-end application, and only really be seen by the user when it pops up a confirmation screen for the user to confirm an action that requires root-level privileges. Installation instructions for Preware refer to ipkgservice separately because WebOS Quick Install does not yet follow package dependencies and install it automatically. The stand-alone installers for Preware automatically install ipkgservice.

End-user documentation for ipkgservice does not exist, and probably will never exist. Please refer to the documentation for the front-end application (e.g. Preware) that you are using.

Developer documentation for ipkgservice does not exist either - at the moment you need to read the source code for ipkgservice or preware to find out how to interface to ipkgservice. The guys who wrote PreLoad were able to do it, so other developers can too

A number of people have requested a separate thread for ipkgservice. This is it

See http://git.webos-internals.org/trac/ipkgservice/roadmap for the ipkgservice roadmap.

When an update is available tap Update to install the new version. After it is installed you will see this screen:

When you press OK, your phone will do a "Java Restart." It will not "reboot" but may seem sluggish for a minute or so while it restarts everything in the background.

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 12/07/2009 at 08:54 PM.
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  2.    #2  
    Version 0.9.24 of ipkgservice has been released, with API version 9.

The major change is the addition of the restartDevice method.

Also, http://git.webos-internals.org/trac/...rvice/ticket/3 was fixed.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Possibly a silly question Rod, but what exactly does the restartDevice method do, and is it accessible by us basic users?

Thanks for all the hard work you guys do to make this device so amazing!

~Kelly

"Two things are infinite: the universe, and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." ~Albert Einstein
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by rykatemom View Post
    Possibly a silly question Rod, but what exactly does the restartDevice method do, and is it accessible by us basic users?
    Specifically, it runs 'tellbootie' (which is a linux program which palm provides to reboot the device) with no arguments and with no confirmation (it's up to the front-end application that calls this method to confirm with the user before it reboots the device).

It's exactly the same as when you press Orange-Sym-R on the keyboard.

We do realise that this could be used maliciously by a rogue webOS application, but since such an application couldn't do anything other than rebooting your device, we don't consider it a real security issue, and such an application would fairly quickly be identified.

It's been added in preparation for future homebrew modifications that need more than just Luna and Java to be restarted.

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 12/06/2009 at 08:06 PM.
    Ah, awesome. Thanks much!

Will that run automatically, or with a prompt allowing the user the option to go ahead or cancel?

~Kelly

"Two things are infinite: the universe, and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." ~Albert Einstein
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by rykatemom View Post
    Ah, awesome. Thanks much!

Will that run automatically, or with a prompt allowing the user the option to go ahead or cancel?
    That'd be a front-end application (e.g. Preware) question

For Preware, yes it will give such an option. We're working on that right now for the next Preware version.

-- Rod
    Brilliant, thanks much for the answers Rod!

~Kelly

Rod,

In the opening post, would you be willing to show a couple of screenshots?

Thank you!

- Craig
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 12/08/2009 at 10:05 PM.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Rod,

When I updated the package manager service from Preware, I noticed that the shell script it runs contains a section relevant only to WebOS 1.3.5:

15 # Is the app limit fixed?
    16 if [ -d /media/cryptofs/apps ] ; then
    17 APPS=/media/cryptofs/apps
    18 else
    19 APPS=/var
    20 # Install the ipkg wrapper
    21 mkdir -p /usr/local/bin
    22 cp /var/usr/palm/applications/org.webosinternals.ipkgservice/files/ipkg /usr/local/bin/ipkg
    23 fi

Seems like the ipkg wrapper is not installed for 1.3.5?
    Is it irrelevant for 1.3.5?
    Also, does that mean that we will have to reinstall package manager service after the update to 1.3.5, since we need to uninstall the existing ipkg wrapper?

Thanks!
  10.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by sagipe View Post
    Also, does that mean that we will have to reinstall package manager service
    Any instructions on whether to reinstall ipkgservice for a particular webOS version will come after the public release of that webOS version.

In the mean-time, you should continue to keep ipkgservice up to date as usual.

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 12/09/2009 at 05:37 AM.
    trying to install preware and packmanger, everytime i get "arcive truncated" error

please help

on 1.3.1 using 2.96 WebOS QI
    does web06 work on 1.3.5
    A little help needed here people.

I installed PreGame’s newly rewritten LED manager service and then I tried to install the new My Flashlight app. When trying to install the app I got an error saying the app was “probably installed”. I then restarted went back into Preware only to be told that the package manager service isn’t running.

I have tried using the latest version of quick install to remove Preware and the package manager service, restarting, using QI to reinstall them and finally restarting yet again. I still get the same error and Preware obviously doesn’t work correctly.

I’m running 1.3.1 on an O2 UK GSM Pre. Any help will be greatly appreciated! A visit to the doctor is out of the question really as I’ll lose several apps that I downloaded before the non-US app store became crippled.

EDIT: I did uninstall the LED service through QI before doing the above.
    Last edited by Gav_Oracle; 01/02/2010 at 06:21 AM. Reason: More info
    Quote Originally Posted by Gav_Oracle View Post
    I installed PreGame’s newly rewritten LED manager service and then I tried to install the new My Flashlight app. When trying to install the app I got an error saying the app was “probably installed”. I then restarted went back into Preware only to be told that the package manager service isn’t running.
    I confirm the same bahaviour on German GSM- WebOS1.3.1. I installed the App and after that preware is bricked ! I do not want to reinstall everything again! Is there a way to undo the update or a log, where I can find more info for this error?

Until a fix is available, I can only recommend:

DO NOT INSTALL OR UPDATE LED manager on GSM WebOS 1.3.1!

Best regards

Matthias
    Urrgh. Too late. My Preware is borked after Pregames Flashlight update - said package Manager not running. I deleted and reinstalled via WOSQI now it says only 2 apps installed - the LED flashlight app and service. The service cannot be removed as it gives an error.
    Sigh...
    On GSM 1.3.3
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    root@palm-webos-device:/var# /sbin/start org.webosinternals.ipkgservice
    (00158/526131591) org.webosinternals.ipkgservice (start) waiting
    (00158/527749023) org.webosinternals.ipkgservice (start) starting
    (00158/529030761) org.webosinternals.ipkgservice (start) pre-start
    (00158/530770263) org.webosinternals.ipkgservice (start) spawned, process 1607
    (00158/532052001) org.webosinternals.ipkgservice (start) post-start, (main) process 1607
    (00158/533272705) org.webosinternals.ipkgservice (start) running, process 1607
    (00158/580880126) org.webosinternals.ipkgservice (stop) running
    (00158/581215820) org.webosinternals.ipkgservice (stop) stopping
    (00158/581490478) org.webosinternals.ipkgservice (stop) killed
    (00158/581734619) org.webosinternals.ipkgservice (stop) post-stop
    (00158/582009277) org.webosinternals.ipkgservice (stop) waiting
    start: (00158/582161865) org.webosinternals.ipkgservice main process terminated with status 1
    Same problem here Damn.

Edit:
    And here is reason:
    root@palm-webos-device:/etc/event.d# sed -i -e "s^/\(all\|[0-9.]*\)\$^/$VERSION^g" $APPS/etc/ipkg/webos-patches.conf
    sed: cannot create temp file /media/cryptofs/apps/etc/ipkg/webos-patches.conf6odXWs: Read-only file system
    So, it's look like, LED service have hardcoded path /media/cryptofs/apps/ and Package Service thinks, it have data there. But in 1.3.1 is no /media/cryptofs, so it failed on loading.

Solution is remove LED service, Package Service,remove directoru /media/cryptofs (thru novaterm for example) and install Package Service again.

Voi'la
    Last edited by Georgo10; 01/02/2010 at 07:51 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Georgo10 View Post
    Solution is remove LED service, Package Service,remove directoru /media/cryptofs (thru novaterm for example) and install Package Service again.
    I'm trying your fix at the moment. How can I remove the cryptofs directory without having to install novacom? Can I do it through the Linux command line option built into quick install?

EDIT:

Don't worry Georgo10 I got the folder removed with the help of zsoc in the webos-internals chat room.

For anyone else with this problem you can use the following command in the "Linux Commandline" option in WebOS quick install:

DO NOT RUN THIS COMMAND IF YOU ARE USING VERSION 1.3.5

mount -o remount,rw /; rm -r /media/cryptofs; mount -o remount,ro /

Then re install the Package Manager service in the normal way.
    Last edited by Gav_Oracle; 01/02/2010 at 10:26 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gav_Oracle View Post
    I'm trying your fix at the moment. How can I remove the cryptofs directory without having to install novacom? Can I do it through the Linux command line option built into quick install?
    I shd think so but I just launched the terminal app, then
    Code:
    cd /media
    rm -r cryptofs
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    you can also use WebOSQuickInstall->tools->Device Management->> and uninstall flashlight...

so it works for me

LG
    black_head1981
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast