Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by black_head1981 View Post
    you can also use WebOSQuickInstall->tools->Device Management->> and uninstall flashlight...

so it works for me

LG
    black_head1981
    I did that initially but I was still getting the error until the cryptofs directory was removed. All is well again.
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    I did the update & now when i load preware all fields remain grey and unresponsive
    Quote Originally Posted by Gav_Oracle View Post
    I'm trying your fix at the moment. How can I remove the cryptofs directory without having to install novacom? Can I do it through the Linux command line option built into quick install?

EDIT:

Don't worry Georgo10 I got the folder removed with the help of zsoc in the webos-internals chat room.

For anyone else with this problem you can use the following command in the "Linux Commandline" option in WebOS quick install:

DO NOT RUN THIS COMMAND IF YOU ARE USING VERSION 1.3.5

mount -o remount,rw /; rm -r /media/cryptofs; mount -o remount,ro /

Then re install the Package Manager service in the normal way.
    Worked great for me. Thank you soooo much for this work-around. Did not want to WEBOSDR. Was nervous at first but getting more confident with Linux Commandline.
  4.    #24  
    OK Guys, blame me for this one, not PreGame.

I've determined the cause, and pushed Led Manager Service 0.2.1 so that it doesn't continue to happen for new people.

Now to work out a fix that will be the most convenient for everyone affected so far.

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 01/02/2010 at 01:43 PM.
  5.    #25  
    OK, this problem should be fixed in Package Manager Service 0.9.29 - update using Preware if you can, or otherwise use WebOS Quick Install to remove and reinstall the Package Manager Service.

Here's the background for anyone interested:

1) There are a number of packages which do both "ipkg -o /var remove <foo>" and "ipkg -o /media/cryptofs/apps remove <foo>" in the install script to make sure that a certain package "<foo>" is removed whether or not the script is running on a webOS 1.3.1 or webOS 1.3.5 device.

2) It turns out that if you do an "ipkg -o /media/cryptofs/apps remove <foo>" on a webOS 1.3.1 device, it will actually *create* the /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/ipkg directory (this is not surprising in hindsight).

3) The Package Manager Service (and a number of other packages) used a test for existence of the /media/cryptofs/apps directory to determine whether they should use /var or /media/cryptofs/apps as the application installation directory.

4) Since this directory had been incorrectly created on a webOS 1.3.1 device, the Package Manager Service then thought it was running on a webOS 1.3.5 device, and all hell broke loose as a result.

5) We have now made the check for usage of /media/cryptofs/apps more robust. Note that we didn't want to put specific webOS version checks in there, cause we weren't sure (and still can't be certain) at what version of webOS Palm will transition to /media/cryptofs/apps for GSM device - we assume it will be webOS 1.3.5, but have no way of knowing if that will indeed be the case. So we check /etc/palm/luna.conf directly to see whether that is using /media/cryptofs/apps.

6) We're also putting checks in the packages that call ipkg remove, to make sure they only access /media/cryptofs/apps on devices that are really using that directory in /etc/palm/luna.conf.

So in hindsight I should have thought of this scenario ahead of time, but didn't. Sincere apologies to all who were affected.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Rod, your fault or not, you still do amazing things for WebOS. Props to you for figuring it out and fixing it. All I can say is IT happens.
    -----------------
    Palm III, Palm IIIc, TT, T3, T5, TX, Pre from Day 1.
    Hi Rod,

Thanks for the solution, plus thanks to the other guy's in this thread for working out the common theme of 1.3.1 users !!

I really did not fancy trying the fixes in #17 & #18, so I was pleased to see Rod's post.

I had to fire up WebOS Quick Install as my Preware was totally freaked out by the whole affair.

Now everything is back to normal.

Thanks again to Rod
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
  8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasT View Post
    Thanks for the solution, plus thanks to the other guy's in this thread for working out the common theme of 1.3.1 users !!
    Yeah, once a problem is correctly characterised, solving it is usually they easier part

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    the exact thing happened to me last night and i was worried i would have to doctor it. thanks rod for the work you've put into this. and nice touch on the icon notice, i was just going to post about it then the msg came up. good work
    FYI, I've now removed myFlashLight! and installed LED Torch instead, much better for my needs.

I also tried to remove "LED Manager Service", as it only seemed to be needed by myFlashLight!, but it will not delete.

So is LMS used by other apps, Camera perhaps, or have I got a left over item that might cause problems when I update to 1.3.5 ?
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by Georgo10 View Post
    Same problem here Damn.

Edit:
    And here is reason:

So, it's look like, LED service have hardcoded path /media/cryptofs/apps/ and Package Service thinks, it have data there. But in 1.3.1 is no /media/cryptofs, so it failed on loading.

Solution is remove LED service, Package Service,remove directoru /media/cryptofs (thru novaterm for example) and install Package Service again.

Voi'la
    One dumb question: How do I remove the service without preware? I will search this forum for the answer, but Im not that keen in command-line webOs-installation routienes. I have a terminal on my pre, but i use it mainly to access ssh-servers.

Thanks in anticipation

Best regards

Matthias

Edit:

Sorry! All the threads solve my problem. I didnt push refresh on my browser since yesterday. Thanks for the sollution!
    Last edited by Matze; 01/03/2010 at 05:56 AM.
  12.    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberprashant View Post
    has anyone noticed IMPROVED battery life with updating to the latest package manager 0.9.29?
    I doubt it, since the Package Manager Service does absolutely nothing when it's not being accessed by Preware ...

-- Rod
    Saw an update for this today that is causing me problems.. it installed perfectly fine, however after rebooting I attempted to start Preware and it keeps telling me that Package Manager Service isn't running..
    yes i am getting the package MS isnt running message. Under device management it is listed but is not showing on my phone when i look at device info

what can we do here? there was a thread discussing it but it was closed down and redirected here....
    and carrying on from my above post, pms runs if i dont have preware installed, i can use luna mgr to shutdown. But once i add preware i get the same pms isnt running message! weird
  16.    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by BozackJenkins View Post
    Saw an update for this today that is causing me problems.. it installed perfectly fine, however after rebooting I attempted to start Preware and it keeps telling me that Package Manager Service isn't running..
    How did you install the update?

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    How did you install the update?

-- Rod
    I installed it from Preware.
    I updated ikpg via preware & no preware won't open. It's stuck at 'downloading feed info'.

it did it on 2 phones. I did a restart right after the update. Maybe I should of waited to restart.
    so I got a new pre. Went to install the package manger and preware both installed fine. Restarted it loaded up preware and get package manger error. Unistall via quick install reset my device then reinstall. Get the same thing. So far I've tried the dr and repair utilty. Any ideas or help

using my acer aspire tethered to my palm pre
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast