Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'll try to restart my thread, because I haven't find any solutions..

I looking the way to modify VK and get possibility to type in Russian (Cyrillic). In the end I attached the feedback from developer, but all my tries failed. After modifying the theme_config any russian letters output as [] (blocks), so probably i have to modify something in system files to get possible see cyrillics. Thank you in advance.

-------------------------------------------------------
    Originally Posted by dubiki
    Dear emoney_33,

Sorry that writing you directly, but in different threads Iíve got reply that only you know the answer and could help me.

I'm owner of German GSM palm Pre and would like to modify VK to type in Russian (as you understand there is no possibility to type in Russian with hard keyboard). Is it possible such modification? And such possibility would help all others who interested in typing different languages.

Thank you in advance! Andrew.

The theme capabilities of the virtual keyboard allow to create a theme that displays and outputs whatever you want. You can view the theme_config.json of the LPC theme that currently comes with the keyboard to see a general idea. I have not yet written up a detailed spec on the wiki for it.
    how made theme that displays and outputs russian font?
    yep, cyrillic would be very cool!

i noticed, some of my contacts are in russian (entered through google contcts), and they are displayed very well, AND are sorted properly according to russian alphabet! so im sure the pre is able to recognise cyrillic and more. just the question of how to input and output on the Pre...
    I made Russian theme for virtual keyboard, but found that virtual keyboard patch has bugs.. Particularly I can't move backspace key
    I made bug request here

Maybe it is possible to make layout for current version, I'll try it...
    I am considering going from Centro to Pre. However not having a Cyrillic keyboard form my contact input is a deal breaker. Centro does not have a problem with that. Did you ever find a way to do that?
    I think virtual keyboard could be fixed. But hardware keyboard support is still needed...
    Also russian search in phone number selection is case sensitive, that bugs me.
    Centrist, so you can input the contacts on PC in Russian and then sync them and they show up in the pre? Also please let me know what you use to convert and read books in Russian on the Pre. On Centro I use iSilo to read the Russian books and iSiloX to convert the Russian books to iSilo document format. Thanks
    Yes, I've imported russian contacts to google contacts without problems and they are on Pre now.

Regarding books, I've heard people launching iSilo in Palm Pre Classic emulator, but I've converted fb2 books to html and read them from local disk using standard browser and lighttpd, installed from Preware repository. Problem is that browser requires some net to be on.
    To move keys, make sure the index's in the .json are always in increasing numerical order (i.e. index: 19 always has to come before any index of 20 or higher). Also to change the key functionality, e.g. backspace, you must also change the keyCode: for the new index.

-Eric G

WebOS Internals Developer.
    Follow me on Twitter for updates to my projects: | Virtual Keyboard | wIRC | SuperTux | AUPT | KeyBoss | freeTether |

Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by emoney_33 View Post
    To move keys, make sure the index's in the .json are always in increasing numerical order (i.e. index: 19 always has to come before any index of 20 or higher). Also to change the key functionality, e.g. backspace, you must also change the keyCode: for the new index.

I kept key order as it was, and keycode seems to be correct.

Code:
    cut form theme_config.json:
    {"index":19, "portrait":
    {"normal":{"display":{"img":"portrait/lowercase/ж.png"},"output":"ж", "background":"rgba(51,51,51,0.85)"},
    "function":{"display":{"img":"portrait/function/singlequote.png"},"output":"'"},
    "shift":{"display":{"img":"portrait/uppercase/Ж.png"},"output":"Ж"}},
    "landscape":
    {"normal":{"display":{"img":"landscape/lowercase/ж.png"},"output":"ж", "background":"rgba(51,51,51,0.85)"},
    "function":{"display":{"img":"landscape/function/singlequote.png"},"output":"'"},
    "shift":{"display":{"img":"landscape/uppercase/Ж.png"},"output":"Ж"}}
    },
    {"index":29, "portrait":
    {"normal":{"display":{"img":"portrait/modifiers/backspace.png"},"output":"\b","keyCode":8, "background":"rgba(51,51,51,0.85)"}},
    "landscape":
    {"normal":{"display":{"img":"landscape/modifiers/backspace.png"},"output":"\b","keyCode":8, "background":"rgba(51,51,51,0.85)"}}
    },
    (I have described issue here )

I can attach somewhere/send you a theme, if you need this.

BTW, thanks for your work !

It would be great if you add possibility to make more than 10 keys in a row - for russian you need 11
    Quote Originally Posted by centrist View Post
    I kept key order as it was, and keycode seems to be correct.

Code:
    cut form theme_config.json:
    {"index":19, "portrait":
    {"normal":{"display":{"img":"portrait/lowercase/ж.png"},"output":"ж", "background":"rgba(51,51,51,0.85)"},
    "function":{"display":{"img":"portrait/function/singlequote.png"},"output":"'"},
    "shift":{"display":{"img":"portrait/uppercase/Ж.png"},"output":"Ж"}},
    "landscape":
    {"normal":{"display":{"img":"landscape/lowercase/ж.png"},"output":"ж", "background":"rgba(51,51,51,0.85)"},
    "function":{"display":{"img":"landscape/function/singlequote.png"},"output":"'"},
    "shift":{"display":{"img":"landscape/uppercase/Ж.png"},"output":"Ж"}}
    },
    {"index":29, "portrait":
    {"normal":{"display":{"img":"portrait/modifiers/backspace.png"},"output":"\b","keyCode":8, "background":"rgba(51,51,51,0.85)"}},
    "landscape":
    {"normal":{"display":{"img":"landscape/modifiers/backspace.png"},"output":"\b","keyCode":8, "background":"rgba(51,51,51,0.85)"}}
    },
    (I have described issue here )

I can attach somewhere/send you a theme, if you need this.

BTW, thanks for your work !

It would be great if you add possibility to make more than 10 keys in a row - for russian you need 11

The key at index 19 still has keyCode: 8, because that is the default set in the patch. You must change it if you do not want the backspace functionality at that index.

-Eric G

Follow me on Twitter for updates to my projects: | Virtual Keyboard | wIRC | SuperTux | AUPT | KeyBoss | freeTether |

Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by emoney_33 View Post
    The key at index 19 still has keyCode: 8, because that is the default set in the patch. You must change it if you do not want the backspace functionality at that index.
    what keycode should be there for normal key, then? keyCode: 0 does not work
    centrist, I am from Belarus and just got my pre - looking forward for a cyrillic keyboard. Maybe I can help somehow or take part?
    ahsirg, currently I only need reply to question I asked egaudet: what keyCode should be used to emit normal key, for example "ж" at key index 19 ...
    I have tried and failed to alter the VK *several* times since the patch came out.
    Best solution is to use an app like PalmPreacher's Hebrew keyboard which would switch to Russian much easier.

webOS Developer
  16.    #16  
    Finally, I found some cyrillic typing guyz.. lets find solution to type in russian!!

xdreduardx, use pReader from Preware to read book in any language http://www.precentral.net/homebrew-apps/preader

centrist, if you need any my support, i'm yourz..sorry that im not deep in prgramming..but anyway.. I read your comments, so, looks you are trying to add more letter. thats great. I tried to create just a theme deleting some function letters instead. But nfortunatelly everytime i type - i see blocks "[]". Have you changed system fonts to solve this? for the begining we can use just a theme with russian and later add new lay-out of the keyboard..
    Quote Originally Posted by centrist View Post
    what keycode should be there for normal key, then? keyCode: 0 does not work
    you can use any letter keyCode, just not a special meaning keycode. For instance keycode for backspace, enter, 0, 1 are among the special meaning keycodes. Use the same one that is for a or b or any other letter and it should be fine.

-Eric G

Donate
    you can use any letter keyCode, just not a special meaning keycode. For instance keycode for backspace, enter, 0, 1 are among the special meaning keycodes. Use the same one that is for a or b or any other letter and it should be fine.
    Thanks, I used some big random keycode and it worked

Attaching the result here - some more work is needed (missing picture for "ё", etc) but I am travelling now... Will finish when return from skiing..

11 keys in a row would be better, but this layout at least has most letters fit.

dubiki, roneyii, attached works ok for me, I can type in SMS/emails, please check on your palms. I have not changed any fonts - but note that my Pre is German GSM "qwertz"

Note that phone search seems to be case sensitive for russian letters - but this is not keyboard problem...

UPD: newer version here - v0.3.1
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by centrist; 03/20/2010 at 05:30 PM. Reason: newer version
    Checking out now...

webOS Developer
    I managed to successfully edit this to meet my needs.
    For some reason these files edited much more smoothly than the ones I've been trying to edit for the past several months.

Thanks.
    Last edited by roneyii; 01/28/2010 at 01:16 AM.

webOS Developer
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast