Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hopefully I am not out of line or missing something here, but the app limit fix has been around for weeks now in Preware. I am still constantly seeing posts with people beside themselves with fury at a problem that is at least improved if not solved by the geniuses at webos internals.

Anyway, for those who don't know about the fix, here is the forum link:
    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...tallation.html

While it does involve installing Preware, which isn't quite as easy as running setup.exe in windows, it isn't nearly as difficult as running linux commands.

This fixes the limit and the hangups in the app catalog when preware is installed
    Fair Dinkum works up to a point. Once you fill up /var past 100MB, you need to use MvApp.

I find that both are needed.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nyquistJack View Post
    Hopefully I am not out of line or missing something here, but the app limit fix has been around for weeks now in Preware. I am still constantly seeing posts with people beside themselves with fury at a problem that is at least improved if not solved by the geniuses at webos internals.

Anyway, for those who don't know about the fix, here is the forum link:
    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...tallation.html

While it does involve installing Preware, which isn't quite as easy as running setup.exe in windows, it isn't nearly as difficult as running linux commands.

This fixes the limit and the hangups in the app catalog when preware is installed
    Alot of people are not willing to mess with there phones. If something goes wrong Sprint/Palm cant help you much. A stock pre out the box should be able to compete with other smartphones out the box as well. The only acceptable fix is a update from Palm. That is the only time people will stop complaining. I have to admit it is a valid complaint. I like webOS, but the app limit is a terrible flaw, which could severely limit Palm's further growth if not fixed soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dtone View Post
    Alot of people are not willing to mess with there phones. If something goes wrong Sprint/Palm cant help you much. A stock pre out the box should be able to compete with other smartphones out the box as well. The only acceptable fix is a update from Palm. That is the only time people will stop complaining. I have to admit it is a valid complaint. I like webOS, but the app limit is a terrible flaw, which could severely limit Palm's further growth if not fixed soon.
    That's crazy talk, sir. Obviously, if it can be patched to any extent whatsoever, then it is fixed. End of discussion. If you're not willing to enter codes, reset your phone, install desktop software, enter into developer mode, remove everything with each update, and continuously wait for the patches to be made compatible...all while being ready to doctor your phone should it not work out....

...well, then you don't deserve the pleasure of owning a WebOS phone. You know, the easiest, most intuitive product going?
    I agree....this phone sucks without tweaks and homebrew...
    Didn't the latest version of Package Manager contain the Fair Dinkum App Limit, and it is suggested you install the PM and uninstall the Dinkum?
    alex.dobeck is correct.

Please don't use Fair Dinkum. Preware integrated all of its functionality directly into Preware itself. Once you install Preware then you shouldn't have any problems installing programs from the App Catalog.
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alex.dobeck View Post
    Didn't the latest version of Package Manager contain the Fair Dinkum App Limit, and it is suggested you install the PM and uninstall the Dinkum?
    Yeah, and it worked fine until 1.3.1 came out. Since then, I've not been able to update any of my apps from the App Catalog. Keep getting the App Storage Is Full... remove some apps....

Even after removing apps, it doesn't work.
    How much space is reserved for apps out of the box?
    I think the point is that we shouldn't have to jump through hoops and hack the phone for what should have been a feature to begin with. This is not a fix (from Palm), This is a hack (from a third party) that addresses the issue. It's a band-aid, not a fix. The problem persists and will continue to persist until Palm addresses the issue.
  11.    #11  
    I didn't realize that. Thanks for the info!

Think everyone is right on this thread. It's beyond absurd Palm hasn't fixed this. Quite possibly one of the most mind boggling things I've ever seen in technology. While everyone has their "I can't believe THIS wasn't available at launch" complaints, I feel this is genuinely crazy.

And while the fix made in Preware, as mentioned above, only improves the issue, they should have at least implemented that easy fix in 1.3.1.

On the same hand, it is a relatively easy fix. I know people are angry about the screwup and don't blame them, but not installing the fix out of spite is whacky.
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    Just a quick question. I remember reading that it moves prog files to a different partition. I also heard that palm wanted to protect developer IP.
    Does this make it easier to steal programs. If so, then it's a no brainer that Palm should not use this specific implementation for a fix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rkguy View Post
    Just a quick question. I remember reading that it moves prog files to a different partition. I also heard that palm wanted to protect developer IP.
    Does this make it easier to steal programs. If so, then it's a no brainer that Palm should not use this specific implementation for a fix.
    It's a good theoretical argument, but I think the kinds of people that steal programs are the ones that are already playing with patches and 3rd party tools to begin with, not the ones that are happy to use their devices with only the features as shipped...
    Yeah, uhh... it's Kevin. (KevinT was already taken.)

PalmPilot Professional, Palm V, Kyocera 7135, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Palm Prē & Prē 2, HP TouchPad & Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by jye75 View Post
    Yeah, and it worked fine until 1.3.1 came out. Since then, I've not been able to update any of my apps from the App Catalog. Keep getting the App Storage Is Full... remove some apps....

Even after removing apps, it doesn't work.
    Yep. I wanted to check out the new Facebook app (despite all the reported flaws, just kinda want to see it for myself, y'know?) and am told it requires 4583K to install. I've deleted way more than that in apps and homebrew and still get that message, but have run out of stuff I can bear to delete... Sigh.
    Yeah, uhh... it's Kevin. (KevinT was already taken.)

PalmPilot Professional, Palm V, Kyocera 7135, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Palm Prē & Prē 2, HP TouchPad & Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by ktessner View Post
    Yep. I wanted to check out the new Facebook app (despite all the reported flaws, just kinda want to see it for myself, y'know?) and am told it requires 4583K to install. I've deleted way more than that in apps and homebrew and still get that message, but have run out of stuff I can bear to delete... Sigh.
    From what I could tell most people with this problem resulted from either not uninstalling all patches before the update or there being residual patch left anyway. I'd suggest using the Dr. but there have been reports the Emergency Patch Removal tool works as well.

As far as the Facebook app goes, I don't know what people expected, it's just as good as the ones just released for Xbox 360 and PS3... I can't see what else you'd really want to do on a phone beside view statuses, comment, like, and post your own...
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    From what I could tell most people with this problem resulted from either not uninstalling all patches before the update or there being residual patch left anyway. I'd suggest using the Dr. but there have been reports the Emergency Patch Removal tool works as well.

As far as the Facebook app goes, I don't know what people expected, it's just as good as the ones just released for Xbox 360 and PS3... I can't see what else you'd really want to do on a phone beside view statuses, comment, like, and post your own...
    I did the EPR prior to updating to 1.3.1, and was able to get a few more apps... then it told me I had no room, so I removed a bunch, same error, then I even installed the MvApp... no avail. I DID get the Facebook app though, and I like it.
    Same issue here. I removed all patches etc. Before updating and reset my phone. The double checked that none were present. Updated and reinstalled compatible patches.

I can install anything from Preware but the App Catalog says my storage is full.
    Honestly, I think it's because of a conflict from one of the services and the update which is causing people problems, maybe even early versions of the Package Manager or the App limiter. But I'm unsure as the great coders are very good at what they do, though it's hard to predict what an update might change.

I personally have decided that I will always Dr. my phone before an update, and so far I haven't had any problems with the app limit since the update.
    This is now explained in the Getting Started: Preware guide.

But as others not, this does not fix the second app limit bug, just the first.

I also corrected the thread title to say App Limit Partially FIXED - Reminder about Fairdinkum.

Members should not have to read this thread to find out that the app limit is only partially fixed.

- Craig
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    Right, Fair Dinkum (included with latest PreWare/ipkgservice) will work until /var available hits below 100MB. Then you need to use 'mvapp' from that point on.

If anyone is still not able to load apps even after using mvapp, you may not have the latest package manager service installed. To check...

mvapp dev
    ma checkfd

It will tell you if Fair Dinkum is installed (it needs to be) and will show latest version of ipkgservice, which needs to be 0.9.19 or higher.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast