Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    The Preware article has now been published. Please see:

How to Use Preware for Homebrew Apps, Patches, and Themes

Please post requests for help or questions in the forums:

Preware - for help using Preware.

WebOS Quick Install - for help using WebOS Quick Install.

Patches - There's a Patch for That (Part 1), Part 2, and Part 3

- Craig
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 12/18/2009 at 11:41 AM. Reason: updating
  2.    #2  
    Placeholder for additional images.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 12/15/2009 at 08:58 AM.
  3.    #3  
    Placeholder for additional images.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 12/11/2009 at 04:53 PM.
    Craig,

Excellent work. Thanks.

At the point where you first show the main screen of Preware, can you please show what it looks like with "Show Available Types" turned off, and give instructions on how to access the Preferences to customise the main screen layout?

The next addition would be to show people how to enable and disable feeds :-)

Thanks,

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    At the top of the next screen click the drop down arrow and select WebOS-Internals, check Package Manager Service (highlighted below), click Download and then click Close.
    In this section when installing the Package Manager Service I think it should say "select WebOS-Internals Feed (all) instead. I know it does not matter but I feel like it will put user's at ease that have never done this before. In my opinion, it feels way more comforting to have screenshots and instructions that exactly line up with what you are supposed to do. Makes a first time user have no fear and not be afraid they are going to screw up their phone if they select something incorrectly. First thing I noticed. I'll post if I find more.

EDIT: The same thing applies for when installing Preware. If it shows that the WebOS-Internals Feed (all) is selected, I don't see a problem saying that as well.
    Last edited by bpdamas; 11/17/2009 at 06:27 PM. Reason: Further.
    Also, if I remember correctly, webOSQuickInstall shows only two plus signs next to PMS or Preware if it is not installed or not up to date. Maybe get an updated image that only shows two plus signs next to Preware since it is supposed to be the step after installing the PMS.

Again, I only mention this because I am a stickler for details and it seems like since you put all this work into compiling this, it should be as perfect as possible.
    Great job on the article. The last thing I would mention and maybe mention it immediately after Preware is installed, is how to disable certain feeds under preferences>feeds. Or how to change preferences in general. Just a thought and probably not necessary.
    Wish I had this info on day one , great work. Very easy reading and very descriptive.

Great work !
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Angus View Post
    Wish I had this info on day one , great work. Very easy reading and very descriptive.

Great work !
    This is why I always contend that experienced users should write the new-user documentation, not the developers of the thing being documented.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    This is why I always contend that experienced users should write the new-user documentation, not the developers of the thing being documented.

-- Rod
    Makes sense to me , developers develop for the users, users learn by doing and offer feedback that developers use to further developing.

Great work all

Thank you
    Craig,

We loved this guide so much that we created a domain for it:

http://install.preware.org

-- Rod
    looks great to me! and makes it all "sound easy to do" Thanks for putting it together!!
    smiles for your day ~ pixielee
    In a love/hate relationship w/my PalmPre(s) 6/6/09 3/22/10 4/12/10 and 5/5/10 (ops yes I lost one!)

Its Life - Live it, Love it, PLAY in it
  13.    #13  
    Craig,

Excellent work. Thanks.

At the point where you first show the main screen of Preware, can you please show what it looks like with "Show Available Types" turned off, and give instructions on how to access the Preferences to customise the main screen layout?

The next addition would be to show people how to enable and disable feeds :-)

Thanks,

-- Rod
    How about if I will add a section at the end to show how to set up preferences and manage feeds? How about if I call it Preware Tips and Tricks. That will take a bit of work and I may need to put it in the second post in this thread. By turning off Themes when you are not using them, Preware also loads a lot faster as well. That will become more important as we have thousands of Themes and Apps instead of hundreds.

As I was working on the article, it took a long time to dig through the 700 themes so far. Any thought on putting themes in categories maybe similar to prethemer?

-- Rod
    Craig,

We loved this guide so much that we created a domain for it:

http://install.preware.org

-- Rod
    Wow.

Thank you.

I want it to be so easy to use Preware that anyone can do it. Products sell on buzz now more than advertising campaign. If users feel like they are in on a secret, they might put that out on their Facebook or as a Tweet. But there has to be a picture for every step and we have to disclose every step.

I did not want to step on toes, but I would like to see the Developer Mode Setup instructions and images from Getting Started: Homebrew Apps, Patches, and Themes be included in the WebOS-Insternals Developer Mode page.

A new user may get hung up on the fact that they are to type on a screen where there is no where to type. We also leave out about the Reset and which USB mode to use. Each step we leave out will eventually be 1,000 frustrated posts. Some new users honestly believe we leave out steps on purpose to keep them out. We don't do it but it has the same results. For every frustrated post we get, are there 20 who just gave up on without registering and posting?

- Craig
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by bpdamas View Post
    In this section when installing the Package Manager Service I think it should say "select WebOS-Internals Feed (all) instead. I know it does not matter but I feel like it will put user's at ease that have never done this before. In my opinion, it feels way more comforting to have screenshots and instructions that exactly line up with what you are supposed to do. Makes a first time user have no fear and not be afraid they are going to screw up their phone if they select something incorrectly. First thing I noticed. I'll post if I find more.

EDIT: The same thing applies for when installing Preware. If it shows that the WebOS-Internals Feed (all) is selected, I don't see a problem saying that as well.
    Great feedback. I got them both.
    Also, if I remember correctly, webOSQuickInstall shows only two plus signs next to PMS or Preware if it is not installed or not up to date. Maybe get an updated image that only shows two plus signs next to Preware since it is supposed to be the step after installing the PMS.

Again, I only mention this because I am a stickler for details and it seems like since you put all this work into compiling this, it should be as perfect as possible.
    This is great feedback. I redid the screenshots.
    Great job on the article. The last thing I would mention and maybe mention it immediately after Preware is installed, is how to disable certain feeds under preferences>feeds. Or how to change preferences in general. Just a thought and probably not necessary.
    I will do this as a new section at the end. Great idea. It took me two straight weeks to get the Preware isntructions to this point but I already have ideas started for the customizing section.

Again this is fantastic input! Anything else?

Thank you!

-Craig
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Angus View Post

Great work !
    Thank you.

I have reread a gazillion support posts from you and so many others, trying to find the things that get users stuck. This is really just a compilation of all of those posts.

Milominderbinder was the guy in Catch-22 who brought stuff together from all over. He was also a war profiteer but I don't think about that part.

- Craig
    Great feedback. I got them both.

This is great feedback. I redid the screenshots.

I will do this as a new section at the end. Great idea. It took me two straight weeks to get the Preware isntructions to this point but I already have ideas started for the customizing section.

Again this is fantastic input! Anything else?

Thank you!

-Craig
    That is really all I saw. Great job and thanks for moving this forward.
    How about if I will add a section at the end to show how to set up preferences and manage feeds? How about if I call it Preware Tips and Tricks. That will take a bit of work and I may need to put it in the second post in this thread. By turning off Themes when you are not using them, Preware also loads a lot faster as well. That will become more important as we have thousands of Themes and Apps instead of hundreds.
    I think as long as you have both screenshots (with show available types on and off) right at the start, so people don't get scared when they see a different main screen, then that's a good solution. The default for a new user is actually the opposite of what you have in the first screenshot.

As I was working on the article, it took a long time to dig through the 700 themes so far. Any thought on putting themes in categories maybe similar to prethemer?
    Preware 0.9.10 (in alpha testing now) has categories for themes. PreThemer.com has them already implemented, and PreCentral is working on it.

I did not want to step on toes, but I would like to see the Developer Mode Setup instructions and images from Getting Started: Homebrew Apps, Patches, and Themes be included in the WebOS-Insternals Developer Mode page.
    Craig, please feel free to add to any page you see on the wiki - I have full trust in your judgement.

-- Rod
    thank you guys this fixed my pre im now a happy customer again
  19.    #19  
    Thank you all for so much feedback. Most have opted to reply by Private Message and all of those changes are completed now as well.

Again, the goal is to get a new user up and running with Preware as quickly as possible.

How can this be made easier or simpler?

Please post or PM any suggestions, corrections, or ideas.

Thanks,

- Craig
    Again, the goal is to get a new user up and running with Preware as quickly as possible.

How can this be made easier or simpler?

Please post or PM any suggestions, corrections, or ideas.

Thanks,

- Craig
    This is the simplest method that I know of that I tell new Palm Pre owners. No need to complicate it with 'WebOS Quick Install'.

1. Put your device in Developer Mode: (simply type in the phrase "upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart")
    2. Run the now visible hidden app called "Developer Mode Enabler".
    3. Enable 'Developer Mode'.
    4. Reset/Restart Device.
    5. Connect device to computer via USB cable and choose the 'charge battery option'
    6. Run the Preware Java or MS self-installer (Download from here: http://get.preware.org)
    7. Launch Preware.
    8. Update Preware to latest version if needed.
    Last edited by scott healey; 11/19/2009 at 06:53 PM.
Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast