Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Your article is getting better and better.

My final review revealed a possible desired edit of the following...

Tap Preferences to and check that Preware is set to Update Feeds Every Launch

I believe you may wish to eliminate the word "and" or perhaps the word "to" in that phrase.

In any case, Great Job, Craig!
    Ultimately a very friendly user guide for Preware. This could be easily used by anyone walking out the door with a new Pre . I've learned a few tips by reading this guide that I really never would of caught onto by just using Preware alone.

Thank you / great work
  3.    #103  
    Quote Originally Posted by suruat View Post
    @ platinumpea

make sure to update your pre to the most current version. as of today that is 1.3.1
    Wow.

Is that ever important. I just added a note in the Getting Started: Homebrew Apps, Patches, and Themes with WebOS Quick Install:

Now is also the time to make sure that your webOS is up-to-date. Tap Launcher then Updates and Update as needed.

Open the WebOS Quick Install thread and verify that it is current with your webOS.

I added just the first note in the Preware article as well.

It is that important.

I just got another Pre and immediately started to set up Quick Install and Preware and almost nothing was showing up. I forgot to update the webOS. They ship with webOS 1.1.

I did the webOS update and I was back in business!

- Craig
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 12/11/2009 at 10:24 AM.
  4.    #104  
    Quote Originally Posted by Quazie View Post
    very good post am all up and running now

a little tip you might want to add. uk users still select sprint even though your on o2. i just went with it and it worked but might be worth pointing out anyway
    Great input!

In the Getting Started: Homebrew Apps, Patches, and Themes with WebOS Quick Install, I added this sentence just above the select webOS Doctor version screenshot:

When asked which webOS Doctor version, if your carrier is not listed, choose Sprint.

- Craig
  5.    #105  
    Quote Originally Posted by zorakkaroz View Post
    Noob here, and hope this isn't a stupid question. I'm aware you have to remove patches and themes before any WebOS updates, but do you need to remove Preware itself?

Thanks.
    Great question. I will include that in the article.

webOS Updates - Before you update to a new webOS, first remove any theme and then any patches you might have installed. Homebrew Apps, including Preware, do not need to be removed before a webOS update.

- Craig
  6.    #106  
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeSam View Post
    Why can I not see the Emergency Patch Removal anymore? There's not even a Linux Applications menu under "Other" all of the sudden. Thoughts?
    That is really important to note!

The Emergency Patch Recovery (EPR) used to be listed in with the patches. But it is not there any more! So you think to yourself, it is an App. Not there either. So you go to the main menu and use the webOS trick of Type to Search. No go.

I added a new section to tell how to find the Preware Search and use EPR as the example.

What do you think?
  7.    #107  
    Quote Originally Posted by Verdammt View Post
    ...Is it necessary to uninstall the previous theme before trying to install a new one...
    Yes!.

I have added this note in the isntructions under Themes:

Before you install a different theme, you must go to the current theme and tap Remove to go back to Palm's original theme.

- Craig
  8.    #108  
    Quote Originally Posted by rlanza1054 View Post
    You don't really tell the user that if something goes wrong that he can't fix, it's ultimately his responsibility.

Also please tell the user that Palm, Inc. has not approved these homebrews, but allows it. Or you can say that Palm doesn't support this stuff and not complainants should be posted on Palm's website.
    In six months with probably 100,000 Homebrewers, I cannot name one person who damaged their phone due to Homebrew. I include link to the article How to Restore a Frozen or Bricked Pre. So far that has always worked.

I expanded the warning at the top to this:

The usual warnings apply. These apps, patches, themes, and even Preware itself are not official Palm apps and are under development - use with care.
    I expanded the * footnote on that paragraph to include this to make it clear that damages could arise:

This Getting Started Guide is offered "As-Is" and without warranty of any kind. In no event shall the author or PreCentral be liable for any claim, damages, or other liability that may arise.[/
    In the help section it includes this link:

How To: Restore a Seriously Ill Pre may help if your phone stops working.
    Which is stating that your phone might stop working and that there are steps that may help.

So now the article says:
    ● Your phone may stop working.
    ● There are steps that may help if that happens.
    ● Damages may arise.
    ● The usual warnings apply.
    ● This is not official Palm apps.
    ● It's under development.
    ● Use with care.

I also expanded similar warning in the Getting Started: Homebrew Apps, Patches, and Themes with WebOS Quick Install article. They have to go through those warnings as well as all of these warnings.

I can't think of more ways to say it. As to asking a friend, I think that they will get more and better help here than from some technical friend who has never seen a Pre.

- Craig
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 12/11/2009 at 01:25 PM.
  9.    #109  
    Rod,

Thank you for so much great feedback. I will take them one at a time and make changes in the article for each one.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    1) You *must* have the alternate main screen at the top of the article alongside the screenshot you currently have there - there should be two screenshots side by side, and the instructions in the rest of the article need to either get the reader into the mode that you are referring to, or have instructions for both scenarios. To be clear, these are the scenarios with Show Available Types set to Yes or No.
    This is already the most complicated article at PreCentral. I just can't have opposing sets of instructions.

I would love it if users didn't need to know about Available Other. Available other should be for developer tools. Unfortunately this is where a couple of key packages are:
    ● Emergency Patch Recovery
    ● Extract PDF Viewer

Again, I make the plea get these out of the area that should be set aside for developers.

I will redo everything with Available Other turned OFF.

Could you make it so that basic user packages are in other areas?

For these apps, please put in links to them under Patches, maybe Patch Tools. Keep your links in the developer area if you like but please also have them where users will think to look for them.

I am redoing the screenshots and instructions assuming that there will not be anything in Available Other a regular user will need.

Looking ahead, it would be great if Restart Luna could be a button in Preware instead of having then install the Luna Manager app. It is sad that the only app we teach them to install is one that is no fun at all. But as it is now, they need Luna Manager.

Also, does Preware default to Installed Available ON? If removed Preware and reinstalled and that is what it is showing but could that be because of a cook?

- Craig
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 12/11/2009 at 06:18 PM.
  10.    #110  
    OK, redoing everything for Show Other Types NO was a lot than I was expecting but it is done!
    2) Preware is not only free, but it is open source too.
    Under the Road Ahead section I added that Preware was Open Source. That is important.
    3) "WebOS Internals" should be spelt and capitalised like that throughout. The website is webos-internals.org, the project is "WebOS Internals" (capital W, no hyphen).
    OK, I think I have it right in every place.
    4) You can reduce the steps by simply selecting both the Package Manager Service and Preware in one step in WebOS Quick Install. They no longer need to be installed separately.
    Wow. Does that ever help! Look at how much simpler it is! When did that happen? I thought it was etched in stone that the Package Manager Service had to be installed by itself first?
    Hopefully the next version of WebOS Quick Install will remove the need to select the Package Manager Service dependency altogether
    That would be huge! Think how many tech support posts are really just about that one issue!
    5) A quicker way to restart the phone is Orange-Sym-R
    Good catch. Fixed.
    6) The guide should show how to access the IPKG Log.
    Great idea!

But for a typical user, isn't the point of getting an IPKG log to be able to post it here so that someone can see what is wrong? We don't want them trying to type it because they are sure to make mistakes in something so complicated.

The good news is that webOS now has a great copy feature that they could use to copy the log and then post it right into the mobile m.precentral.net.

The bad news is that in Preware the user is not able to use the webOS copy feature in the Preware IPKG Log.

So aren't we better off to tell them to install the patch again using WOSQI and then copy that IPKG Log? Then they can post the full log without typos?

Again, this is great input and well worth the time it took to implement.

Thank you!

- Craig
  11.    #111  
    Quote Originally Posted by MortiseMaker View Post
    Your article is getting better and better.

My final review revealed a possible desired edit of the following...

Tap Preferences to and check that Preware is set to Update Feeds Every Launch

I believe you may wish to eliminate the word "and" or perhaps the word "to" in that phrase.

In any case, Great Job, Craig!
    Thanks!

Fixed!

- Craig
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    Looking ahead, it would be great if Restart Luna could be a button in Preware instead of having then install the Luna Manager app. It is sad that the only app we teach them to install is one that is no fun at all. But as it is now, they need Luna Manager.
    In the future, they won't need to use Luna Manager, cause any package that requires a luna restart (including patches) will pop up a restart luna button (with a skip option) when they are installed or removed or updated.

We simply do not add architecturally-unclean features when they are going to be obsoleted in one of the next few versions.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    OK, redoing everything for Show Other Types NO was a lot than I was expecting but it is done!
    Are you going to update the first post of this thread so we can see the result? I was expecting to see two screenshots side by side in the first post.

Under the Road Ahead section I added that Preware was Open Source. That is important.
    It's actually important enough to be in the very first sentence of the article, in my opinion.
    But for a typical user, isn't the point of getting an IPKG log to be able to post it here so that someone can see what is wrong? We don't want them trying to type it because they are sure to make mistakes in something so complicated.
    We should suggest that they take a screenshot and post it.

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 12/11/2009 at 10:04 PM.
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  14.    #114  
    Are you going to update the first post of this thread so we can see the result? I was expecting to see two screenshots side by side in the first post...
    I don't want to have to explain any more screens than I have to. I instead am switching over to telling them to just set Show Other to NO.

Does Preware default to Installed Available ON?

- Craig
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 12/13/2009 at 08:10 PM.
    Its came out great! I think its very detailed and as long as people take the time to read they should have everything right there! GREAT WORK!!
    smiles for your day ~ pixielee
    In a love/hate relationship w/my PalmPre(s) 6/6/09 3/22/10 4/12/10 and 5/5/10 (ops yes I lost one!)

Its Life - Live it, Love it, PLAY in it
    First pass. You misspelled Jason Robitaille's name. You missed the second i in his name.
  17.    #117  
    Quote Originally Posted by bpdamas View Post
    First pass. You misspelled Jason Robitaille's name. You missed the second i in his name.
    Nice catch! Thanks.

- Craig
    Nice catch! Thanks.

- Craig
    No problem. That is really all I noticed. Good work.
  19.    #119  
    Quote Originally Posted by ynathanj View Post
    I am thinking about download Preware. However, I need to know that when I press Reset Phone from the Developer Mode that it's not going to erase everything I currently have downloaded. Can someone let me know before I do this?
    This Reset does not erase anything. You are thinking of a partial or full erase. The Lunsa restarts do not erase anything either.

I have added this note to Getting Started: Preware.

and to the Getting Started: Homebrew Apps, Patches, and Themes with WebOS Quick Install

- Craig
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 12/17/2009 at 09:42 AM.
    Personally I think the default main scene is the easiest to use (and doesn't hide any types), which is simply

Package Updates
    Available Packages
    Installed Packages
    List of Everything

I guess database preferences stay accross updates so to get back to this main scene you can go to: Preware -> preferences -> set show available types to NO.

-Eric G

WebOS Internals Developer.
    Follow me on Twitter for updates to my projects: | Virtual Keyboard | wIRC | SuperTux | AUPT | KeyBoss | freeTether |

Donate