Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Cezasf View Post
    I have 4 updates on my Preware and Terminal is one of them. It say's Terminal 0.2.3 updated for the transition to webOS 1.3.5 !
    Your kidding right ? 1.3.5 ??
    Cool avatar.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dld121 View Post
    This (reboot - to the new-device activation screen) happened to me after enabling the CPU Scaling tweaks. After that I never played with the CPU scaling or Speed changes again and the phone was reliable.

It was not Preware, for me, but the changes to the CPU speed settings.

I have been using Preware without any problem, just choose your tweaks carefully.
    I didn't have any patches installed, I only used Preware for "non-invasive" apps. And as I described in the first post, one of my Preware feeds had a file size of almost 200 megs. Clearly Preware messed up, but the question is why and how. (etc, etc)

So in my case, having the /var partition completely filled caused some crazy behavior on the device. (not just limited to the reboot-to-new-activation stuff, it was doing other wacky things too)
    I am thinking about download Preware. However, I need to know that when I press Reset Phone from the Developer Mode that it's not going to erase everything I currently have downloaded. Can someone let me know before I do this?
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    hmm ill try to reinstall
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    damn reinstalled same issue
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Preware: The best way to get patches!
    Global Posts
    468 Global Posts
    Much appreciated for the instructions and the patches are really great. Thanks for everything on this!
    Sanyo SCP 4500 > Samsung SCH 1900 > Sanyo SCP 5000 > Treo 755p > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
    Quote Originally Posted by litimoth View Post
    Thanks Craig for listing the requirements. I'm coming at this as a totally brand new user (only used my Pre via Palm official channels), and they were never clearly mentioned prior to this quote. Actually didn't take too many steps.

Preware installed without WebOS Quick Install. Here's what I did on MacOS X (Snow Leopard):
    [sorry for those poor urls, the forum won't let me add proper links.]

1a. Download PrewareInstall-0.9.5.jar (at get.preware.org)
    1b. Download WebOS Doctor 1.3.1 (find at webos-internals.org -slash- wiki -slash- Webos_Doctor_Versions)
    1c. Download Palm Mojo SDK for MacOSX (get from developer.palm.com)

2. Run the Mojo SDK package. After accepting the license, click Customize, and select only NovacomInstaller - unless you are also going to some development.

(... Here I also ran /opt/nova/bin/novacom and /opt/nova/bin/novacomd, not sure if that did anything for step 4.)

3. Open up developer mode on the Pre (see previous posts), then restart it. Connect the USB cable, and pick "Just Charge".

4a. With webOSDoctor.jar in the same folder as PrewareInstaller-0.9.5.jar, double-click the latter to run it.
    4b. Click the Install Preware button.
    4c. Despite the installer's completion message about "program should now appear on your Pre", you *have* to restart the Pre before Preware icon appears in your launcher. Done!

5. Remember to disable developer mode. Also run Preware to update to the latest version.

Short and simple. Hope that helps!
    Timothy
    I keep clicking on prewareinstaller-0.9.5.jar but it does nothing. The Title "IPKG.Installer" comes up but then goes away and nothing happens. Worst of all the webosdoctor reset my phone and now I have to do a whole lot of changes all over again.
  9.    #89  
    Oil has just created a Luna Manager thread so I am able to add those links to the article!

Thanks, Brandon!

- Craig
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Why can I not see the Emergency Patch Removal anymore? There's not even a Linux Applications menu under "Other" all of the sudden. Thoughts?
    Tap "List of Everything" in Preware, and start typing "Emer..". By about the fourth letter it should appear. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by JoeSam View Post
    Why can I not see the Emergency Patch Removal anymore? There's not even a Linux Applications menu under "Other" all of the sudden. Thoughts?
    I ♥ my Pre.
    why is package updates greyed out? I'm on 1.3.1
    Quote Originally Posted by pottyvick View Post
    why is package updates greyed out? I'm on 1.3.1
    It usually means that you have the latest versions of all the packages that Preware knows about.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    I have a couple issues with theme installation and a question or two. I was able to install a theme using the WebOSQuickInstall from my desktop, but I'm unable to install a theme from Preware. When I check the iPKG log, I find the following errors under Postinst:

mkdir: cannot create directory '/var/usr/lib/webos-quick-install': file exists
    cat: can't open '/media/internal/prethemer.txt': No such file or directory
    sh: 1: unknown operand

Under the Failed section, I find:

ErrorGenericMethodException: Failure during post-install script execution

I have tried installing several different themes just in case it was a problem with the theme, but I get the same results every time. Is it necessary to uninstall the previous theme before trying to install a new one or is there something else going on that I'm not aware of? I have problems installing applications or patches, just themes.
    From what I have read, yes. Not all themes seem to be created equal and not all themes change identical files. So, it is necessary to uninstall an existing theme before applying a new one. And, for sure, remove your theme before the next webOS update.

Someone will surely correct me if I am wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Verdammt View Post
    Is it necessary to uninstall the previous theme before trying to install a new one or is there something else going on that I'm not aware of? I have problems installing applications or patches, just themes.
    I ♥ my Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by McKathryn View Post
    From what I have read, yes. Not all themes seem to be created equal and not all themes change identical files. So, it is necessary to uninstall an existing theme before applying a new one. And, for sure, remove your theme before the next webOS update.

Someone will surely correct me if I am wrong.
    Thanks for the info. I will give this a try and see if it corrects the problem I'm having.

Edit: That was the problem. Thanks for clearing it up for me.
    Last edited by Verdammt; 12/08/2009 at 02:46 PM. Reason: Addendum
    I have a palm pixi and it will not connect to webos quick installer.

I don't believe i installed Package Manager Service but i don't know how to install it. can someone please help me I new to this.
    Quote Originally Posted by koolkid09 View Post
    I have a palm pixi and it will not connect to webos quick installer.

I don't believe i installed Package Manager Service but i don't know how to install it. can someone please help me I new to this.
    http://install.preware.org

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Ok my input is this:

Please make a better disclaimer in the beginning.

You don't really tell the user that if something goes wrong that he can't fix, it's ultimately his responsibility.

Also please tell the user that Palm, Inc. has not approved these homebrews, but allows it. Or you can say that Palm doesn't support this stuff and not complainants should be posted on Palm's website.

I could go on bit and I don't want to be a nah sayer, I just know tha some users really should not play with this stuff because they just can't handle all this techie stuff.

All of us, that are geeks, have no problem, but not the average user.

So just put a better disclaimer the top.

Maybe suggest if that person is not techincal enough to read instruction maybe it would be better for them to find a geek friend that can do this stuff for them. That why they can enjoy the patches but won't get into trouble.

Thanks my comments and opinions to add to the perfect instruction set that was put together.

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

OK, I'm going to do another detailed review of the article, and give my comments here:

1) You *must* have the alternate main screen at the top of the article alongside the screenshot you currently have there - there should be two screenshots side by side, and the instructions in the rest of the article need to either get the reader into the mode that you are referring to, or have instructions for both scenarios. To be clear, these are the scenarios with Show Available Types set to Yes or No.

2) Preware is not only free, but it is open source too.

3) "WebOS Internals" should be spelt and capitalised like that throughout. The website is webos-internals.org, the project is "WebOS Internals" (capital W, no hyphen).

4) You can reduce the steps by simply selecting both the Package Manager Service and Preware in one step in WebOS Quick Install. They no longer need to be installed separately. Hopefully the next version of WebOS Quick Install will remove the need to select the Package Manager Service dependency altogether.

5) A quicker way to restart the phone is Orange-Sym-R

6) The guide should show how to access the IPKG Log

Thanks,

-- Rod