Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    415 Global Posts
    First of all, thanx a million for rewriting instructions here. Everybody who has done this always says "installing PreWare is so easy" - but the existing instructions still needed to be deciphered. Your attempt at better documentation is a welcome one. Here is my feedback:

1. I think you would be best served to keep all instructions on this page - including how to install WebOSQuickInstall. The directions that you link to for WOSQI are troublesome to new users... ...But I also understand that pointing somebody in that direction may reduce your time maintaining this document in the even that something over there changes. You make the call.
    2. Do a search for "Manger" in the above directions - you need to change it to "Manager".
    - its should say that you should connect your pre as a USB drive
    - after installing, the WebOs doctor wouldn't detect my pre so I had to look around till i found a workaround for a known windows 7 issue. it would be nice to include that under the installation instructions.

really nice guide. i like it. thanks
    Looks great to me, Craig. I wonder if you may wish to mention turning on wi-fi if available? The faster connection would result in improved performance if established prior to running Preware.

In any case, I believe you have done an excellent job of documenting the setup and use of Preware. Great work!

Phil (aka MortiseMaker)
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by scott healey View Post
    This is the simplest method that I know of that I tell new Palm Pre owners. No need to complicate it with 'WebOS Quick Install'.

1. Put your device in Developer Mode: (simply type in the phrase "upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart")
    2. Run the now visible hidden app called "Developer Mode Enabler".
    3. Enable 'Developer Mode'.
    4. Reset/Restart Device.
    5. Connect device to computer via USB cable and choose the 'charge battery option'
    6. Run the Preware Java or MS self-installer (Download from here: Index of /)
    7. Launch Preware.
    8. Update Preware to latest version if needed.
    Preware Installer requires Novacom, Java, and webOS Doctor. Each of those require multiple steps. Lay out the steps one-by-one and it is more steps...

- Craig
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 11/20/2009 at 08:13 PM.
    Thanks for the preware guide it is great.
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    Preware Installer requires Novacom, Java, and webOS Doctor. Each of those require multiple steps. Lay out the steps one-by-one and it is more steps...
    - Craig
    Thanks Craig for listing the requirements. I'm coming at this as a totally brand new user (only used my Pre via Palm official channels), and they were never clearly mentioned prior to this quote. Actually didn't take too many steps.

Preware installed without WebOS Quick Install. Here's what I did on MacOS X (Snow Leopard):
    [sorry for those poor urls, the forum won't let me add proper links.]

1a. Download PrewareInstall-0.9.5.jar (at get.preware.org)
    1b. Download WebOS Doctor 1.3.1 (find at webos-internals.org -slash- wiki -slash- Webos_Doctor_Versions)
    1c. Download Palm Mojo SDK for MacOSX (get from developer.palm.com)

2. Run the Mojo SDK package. After accepting the license, click Customize, and select only NovacomInstaller - unless you are also going to some development.

(... Here I also ran /opt/nova/bin/novacom and /opt/nova/bin/novacomd, not sure if that did anything for step 4.)

3. Open up developer mode on the Pre (see previous posts), then restart it. Connect the USB cable, and pick "Just Charge".

4a. With webOSDoctor.jar in the same folder as PrewareInstaller-0.9.5.jar, double-click the latter to run it.
    4b. Click the Install Preware button.
    4c. Despite the installer's completion message about "program should now appear on your Pre", you *have* to restart the Pre before Preware icon appears in your launcher. Done!

5. Remember to disable developer mode. Also run Preware to update to the latest version.

Short and simple. Hope that helps!
    Timothy
    Quote Originally Posted by litimoth View Post
    4c. Despite the installer's completion message about "program should now appear on your Pre", you *have* to restart the Pre before Preware icon appears in your launcher. Done!
    This will be fixed in the next version of the installers.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by hs2716 View Post
    - its should say that you should connect your pre as a USB drive
    - after installing, the WebOs doctor wouldn't detect my pre so I had to look around till i found a workaround for a known windows 7 issue. it would be nice to include that under the installation instructions.

really nice guide. i like it. thanks
    Thank you.

These are important points.

-You do not want to be in USB Drive mode, you want Just Charge.

-We have added the link for the windows 7 help in the article. That is too much content to add here but the link is important.

- Craig
    that's beautiful, It ll be a nice idea to include updating preware (psm), or how to uninstall it if preware is updated before the psm.... great job man nice,
    ps the music player (remix) is so badazz, thanks
    Hi Craig, looks great! As a technical writer by day I can appreciate simplified documentation for end users. I would make only one suggestion, and that is to maintain your screen shot highlighting throughout. In other words, you highlight in yellow the feeds they should select but you should also highlight any buttons (download, done, ok, etc) to keep it consistent as some users will be more visually inclined than others.
  11.    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by MortiseMaker View Post
    Looks great to me, Craig. I wonder if you may wish to mention turning on wi-fi if available? The faster connection would result in improved performance if established prior to running Preware.

In any case, I believe you have done an excellent job of documenting the setup and use of Preware. Great work!

Phil (aka MortiseMaker)
    Phil,

Good advice!

I added this sentence: "Preware is much faster on a WiFi connection."

Thanks,

Craig
    I removed Preware by mistake this morning after downloading it about 6 weeks or so ago...I was preparing myself to be frustrated as I was the first time I installed Preware.....this new way of installing is MUCH easier and quicker than the old way...thank you for creating this!!!!!!
  13.    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    Hi Craig, looks great! As a technical writer by day I can appreciate simplified documentation for end users. I would make only one suggestion, and that is to maintain your screen shot highlighting throughout. In other words, you highlight in yellow the feeds they should select but you should also highlight any buttons (download, done, ok, etc) to keep it consistent as some users will be more visually inclined than others.
    Great suggestions!

Since there are three things to hit on one screen, I highlighted each in a different color on those two screens. It took a while but I tried to use the highlight colors on every screen I could. It does make it a lot easier to understand.

- Craig
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 11/23/2009 at 02:46 PM.
  14.    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by litimoth View Post
    Thanks Craig for listing the requirements. I'm coming at this as a totally brand new user (only used my Pre via Palm official channels), and they were never clearly mentioned prior to this quote. Actually didn't take too many steps.

Preware installed without WebOS Quick Install. Here's what I did on MacOS X (Snow Leopard):
    [sorry for those poor urls, the forum won't let me add proper links.]

1a. Download PrewareInstall-0.9.5.jar (at get.preware.org)
    1b. Download WebOS Doctor 1.3.1 (find at webos-internals.org -slash- wiki -slash- Webos_Doctor_Versions)
    1c. Download Palm Mojo SDK for MacOSX (get from developer.palm.com)
    1d. Download Java

2. Run the Mojo SDK package. After accepting the license, click Customize, and select only NovacomInstaller - unless you are also going to some development.

(... Here I also ran /opt/nova/bin/novacom and /opt/nova/bin/novacomd, not sure if that did anything for step 4.)

3. Open up developer mode on the Pre (see previous posts), then restart it. Connect the USB cable, and pick "Just Charge".

4a. With webOSDoctor.jar in the same folder as PrewareInstaller-0.9.5.jar, double-click the latter to run it.
    4b. Click the Install Preware button.

5. Remember to disable developer mode. Also run Preware to update to the latest version.

Short and simple. Hope that helps!
    Timothy
    Timothy, there are the best Preware Installer instructions I have seen.

You already had the latest Java downloaded and installed or this would not work so installing java step should be one of the first.

Also, you have to install Safari to install the SDK so their need to be a step for that:

You also need Virtualbox for the SDK.

There is one other program that you also need for the SDK but I can't think of it.

I am saying that I cannot find any way easier than how it is written out right now. WebOS Quick Install is amazing in all that it installs and set sup for you. For a newbie there is no other way that is any where near as easy...

- Craig
    My Available Patches wont show, A little help Please im going crazy over here Thanks Guys

I think this is a great thread. Very explicit instructions. Got my Preware up and running in less than 15 minutes AND I was able to update my fileCoaster to 1.1.6 and get that up and running again.
    As of yet I have not seen any issues, so I offer you a hearty....nice job and a !!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuthroat View Post
    My Available Patches wont show, A little help Please im going crazy over here Thanks Guys

Did you disable it in the preferences menu?

After launching PreWare, on the top right hit the preware menu, then preferences, then scroll down to "main scene" and swipe the toggle next to patches from no to yes.

this should do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by drvsafe View Post

After launching PreWare, on the top right hit the preware menu, then preferences, then scroll down to "main scene" and swipe the toggle next to patches from no to yes.

this should do it!
    Sorry for not reporting back. I got everything working again after running WebOSDoctor.

Thanks for your help
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drvsafe View Post

this should do it!
    Heya everyone,

I am actually having the same issue and my Main Scene/Patches is already on yes.

Any other resolution other than using WebDR?

Cuthroat's image is basically what I have.
  20.    #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by marwan View Post
    Heya everyone,

I am actually having the same issue and my Main Scene/Patches is already on yes.

Any other resolution other than using WebDR?

Cuthroat's image is basically what I have.
    Try the Getting Help section in the Opening Post. In particular, try the WebOS Quick Install.

- Craig
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast