1.    #1  
    What is this?
    Quote Originally Posted by shaidan6453 View Post
    What is this?
    It's a support linux application which installs an upstart script which creates a /var/opt directory and bind mounts it as /opt on each boot.

It also puts a file in /etc/profile.d/ which ensures that /opt/bin is in your $PATH and /opt/sbin as well if you are logged in as root.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    It's a support linux application which installs an upstart script which creates a /var/opt directory and bind mounts it as /opt on each boot.

It also puts a file in /etc/profile.d/ which ensures that /opt/bin is in your $PATH and /opt/sbin as well if you are logged in as root.

-- Rod
    But seriously, what is it?
    Can it be explained in layman's terms? What benefit is there to installing it? When is it needed?
    I was wondering as well- I saw that there were some apps that required it in Preware, but nothing that I couldn't live without. Some did look interesting though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trident View Post
    Can it be explained in layman's terms? What benefit is there to installing it? When is it needed?
    I was wondering as well- I saw that there were some apps that required it in Preware, but nothing that I couldn't live without. Some did look interesting though.
    It's a bootstrap dependency for installing linux applications from the mobi.optware.* space.

If you're not installing an app that depends on it, then you don't need it.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Trident View Post
    Thank you!!! My thoughts exactly. Like youre talking to a child please?
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    It's a bootstrap dependency for installing linux applications from the mobi.optware.* space.

If you're not installing an app that depends on it, then you don't need it.

-- Rod
    Thank you so much for the info. And if you have the patience for those of us that that explanation makes absolutely no sense , could you explain that for a dummy?
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    Is this optware stuff considered as patches, i.e. do I have to uninstall before upgrading?
    I'm considering to run SSH to use WinSCP over wifi
    Quote Originally Posted by spud101 View Post
    Is this optware stuff considered as patches, i.e. do I have to uninstall before upgrading?
    I'm considering to run SSH to use WinSCP over wifi
    No, Optware is careful to stay out of the way of webOS updates, so you never need to remove it.

-- Rod
    why does it install dropbear and open ssh?
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    Welcome to open source. Things can get bumpy. Please fasten your seat belts.
    Quote Originally Posted by dianagr View Post
    You can also swipe a counterclockwise semi-circle around the center button to go back. [Do a back gesture]
    Quote Originally Posted by The_lane View Post
    why does it install dropbear and open ssh?
    I don't understand the question. Preware installs those packages when you ask it to do so - it does not install them without you specifically causing that to happen.

-- Rod
    I mean the optware bootstrap. It installs both Dropbear and open ssh.
    You can also swipe a counterclockwise semi-circle around the center button to go back. [Do a back gesture]
    Quote Originally Posted by The_lane View Post
    I mean the optware bootstrap. It installs both Dropbear and open ssh.
    Yes. Dropbear for incoming connections, cause it has the smallest memory footprint, and OpenSSH for the outgoing connections, cause it understands client authentication forwarding (so you don't need to keep your private key on the Pre to be able to use git).

-- Rod
    Ooooh I see. Thanks, that's been bothering me for a while.