Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
    I'd like to request a feature too - the connect/disconnect icon (red/green plug) is the only way to discern whether or not you are actually connected - so if you close the main window and leave your #channels open then short of pinging a bot or a friend you've no way to tell if you're still connected.

Could an instance of this red/green plug icon be placed in the title bar of the channel window? It would be really useful to be able to close the main window and leave the channel cards open.
    I suppose undernet is still a no go?
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    Thanks for leting me chat at work!
    I'm getting the impression that this is sort of abandoned, is that true, or is there a lot of work being done behind the scenes still?

Or maybe will we be able to get a PDK IRC app that doesn't need a custom service to send commands through now?
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I'm getting the impression that this is sort of abandoned, is that true, or is there a lot of work being done behind the scenes still?

Or maybe will we be able to get a PDK IRC app that doesn't need a custom service to send commands through now?
    It certainly hasn't been abandoned, cause the developers use it regularly.

Maybe the itch for the original developers has now been scratched (i.e. it does everything they need it to do), and some new developers with new itches need to start contributing code for new features?

This is open source. If you need a feature, then start coding

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    I cannot get this to work. I have installed, deleted & re installed a bunch of times using preware & quickinstall. It seems to be not installing wIRCd, and I cannot find wIRCd in either program. I have been messing with this for a week. Any help?
    Interesting.... My wIRC was working, but when I went to Preware, it showed the wIRC package as installed, but the wIRCd package was not installed (that is, uninstalled and therefore able to be installed). But, again, wIRC was working fine for me.

Here is what I did next
    1) Open preware
    2) List of Everything
    3) type wirc to search for wIRC apps, and I see wIRC with the green 'installed' arrow, and the wIRCd app, and the option to install and no green 'installed' arrow.

So I installed it, and it said, 'ok, it's installed'. Then I restarted the phone, just cause, and opened preware and checked List of everything and now it shows both are installed (both have the green arrows).

So now I run wIRC and it still works.

trick440, I had never done IRC before I did wIRC and I had a lot of trouble setting things up for IRC - installing the app worked fine (except, apparently, at some point, perhaps from the start, it showed wIRCd not installed when it was).

I suggest you
    1) check the status of wIRC and wIRCd via the List of Everything (remember that typing enables an autofilter for that very long list - just type wirc to filter).
    2) If both are installed, I would guess you have a configuration problem, not an install problem?
    3) If wIRCd says it is not installed, install it, restart your phone, and then verify preware shows that it is installed after all, and then tell us what happens when you start wIRC...

FWIW, my phone has not yet upgraded to ver 1.4...
    Last edited by notcalvin; 03/03/2010 at 09:33 AM.
    If preware thinks wIRCd is installed, it would be under installed packages, service.
    Just did some testing, and wIRC + it's service cause my battery usage to go from 4-6% usage per hour up to 14-16% IDLE.

This is without wIRC open, and with no cards besides Battery Monitor open.

Any chance someone "in the know" could take a look and see if there is something specific causing the battery usage to spike even when wirc is not in use?
    Could you provide a little detail on your testing?

What were the test conditions (ie, were all the data taken in one place while the phone just sat idle... did you actaully let the phone sit for an hour, or did you extrapolate... what were the settings on the battery monitor - polling interval, etc)?

How many times did you repeat the test - a single time, two times?

Did you fully charge the battery in between? Perhaps there is a calibration issue, and if you measured battery consumption over the same charge range you'd see something different?

It sounds to (ignorant) me like a bit of a tricky problem, and perhaps a little extra info in your post might help clarify things a bit for someone who knows more than I do... (or maybe even an interested party might try to reproduce your results...!)
    Quote Originally Posted by notcalvin View Post
    Could you provide a little detail on your testing?

What were the test conditions (ie, were all the data taken in one place while the phone just sat idle... did you actaully let the phone sit for an hour, or did you extrapolate... what were the settings on the battery monitor - polling interval, etc)?

How many times did you repeat the test - a single time, two times?

Did you fully charge the battery in between? Perhaps there is a calibration issue, and if you measured battery consumption over the same charge range you'd see something different?

It sounds to (ignorant) me like a bit of a tricky problem, and perhaps a little extra info in your post might help clarify things a bit for someone who knows more than I do... (or maybe even an interested party might try to reproduce your results...!)
    I'd be glad to clarify.

1. Test conditions
        The data I gathered was gained from battery usage monitored by "Battery monitor" with the polling interval set to 5sec (tried 30sec in a separate test and found 5 to more accurately measure the usage (graph-wise).
        I tracked the usage for my phone while idle (and stock - no patches/apps) for an hour.
        Installed apps and patches and monitored the usage again.
        Installed wIRC and service and restarted the phone.
        Began tracking again.

Tracked usage without wIRC open for an hour.
        Tracked usage with wIRC open and connected to a server for an hour.

This was all done in an area of 5 3G bars constant, with GPS/wireless turned off.

The battery had been at 94% when I began testing wIRC. I may test again tonight after charging the phone. Let me know if I should bother.

Let me know if you want any more info or have something else for me to test/try. I'm always willing to help out.
  12.    #112  
    If wIRC is not connected, it shouldn't be doing anything to drain your battery quicker.

Sometimes a bug happens where closing the app doesn't disconnect. Which would cause the service to keep running in the background. But other then that case I've never noticed my battery drain quicker when not using wIRC.

I don't really know what you want. If you think its killing your battery, don't use it, haha.

My guess would be, that your problem is with some other app or patch you installed.
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Maybe all of us that love wirc but would like to see SSL support could kick in some cash and have a bounty for someone to add this for us. I'm not sure how hard coding SSL support would be nor how much it would be worth.
    I like the idea of a bounty.

I can think of a feature or two I'd be willing to chip into a bounty to get.
    -some kind of time stamp in the channel message log (a time stamp every 5 minutes, at the beginning and end of any gap greater than a minute, whatever)
    -some kind of notification when you are sending messages to a channel you are disconnected from
    -fixing the bug where messages that end with \ go to the server message log as an error instead of going to the channel message log "kind of a bummer :-\"
    -copy from the channel message log (copy whole log, just part of log on screen, whatever)
    -maybe a 'find' for the channel message log

A few thoughts on strategy...

-I think there is some economy of scale here - it takes some time to just get acquainted with the code, but then perhaps many different kinds of changes are fairly simple?
    -A broader pool of to do's is likely to attract a larger potential bounty than a single to do, and therefore attract more potential developers attention
    -Perhaps after a short survey of items people would like to see, we could have a poll on how much any given item would fetch, and then whom ever liked could pick and choose among them to find the highest cost-benefit ratio over all?
    -Perhaps there are already web sites to mediate this kind of transaction?

This thread is a bit stale, I wonder if we got things far enough along if the good folks at precentral would be open to a post on the blog or something about the idea in general and our cause in particular?
    By the way, I think I find that with wIRC running I don't have the 'Luna Reboot' problem, but when I'm not using it I do have the Luna reboot problem... Nothing scientific here, just sayin'.
  17.    #117  
    Quote Originally Posted by nightfell View Post
    Maybe all of us that love wirc but would like to see SSL support could kick in some cash and have a bounty for someone to add this for us. I'm not sure how hard coding SSL support would be nor how much it would be worth.
    SSL support is definitely already on the list of things to do. I remember someone was working on it, but I don't think it was ever completed or pushed to the code repo.

Right now, the plan is to get v0.1.0 out in its current form (there is code in the service that needs to be changed so it wont eat battery too fast, then it will be released.) Then we're going to be switching it to a PDK plugin/mojo architecture instead of service/mojo as it is now. And SSL support will come in that.

As far as a bounty, I don't do any of the back-end programming (only the GUI/front end) so I can't speak much to a bounty for such a feature. Perhaps PuffTheMagic or egaudet will take you up on it.

I like the idea of a bounty.
    We're certainly not adverse to money.

I can think of a feature or two I'd be willing to chip into a bounty to get.
    -some kind of time stamp in the channel message log (a time stamp every 5 minutes, at the beginning and end of any gap greater than a minute, whatever)
    -some kind of notification when you are sending messages to a channel you are disconnected from
    -copy from the channel message log (copy whole log, just part of log on screen, whatever)
    -maybe a 'find' for the channel message log
    All good ideas. I've added them to our trac.

-fixing the bug where messages that end with \ go to the server message log as an error instead of going to the channel message log "kind of a bummer :-\"
    I've never seen/heard of this bug before. I'll check it out. Is it every time you send a message with a \ at the end?

-I think there is some economy of scale here - it takes some time to just get acquainted with the code, but then perhaps many different kinds of changes are fairly simple?
    Most of the features you've requested are pretty simple. It's just a matter of time and will. The itch we had that writing wIRC scratched is gone. And with so many other projects to work on, there isn't as much time to add new features to wIRC.

-A broader pool of to do's is likely to attract a larger potential bounty than a single to do, and therefore attract more potential developers attention
    As I mentioned above, we have a trac setup for wIRC. {1} Active Tickets – wIRC. But its currently locked so only devs can add/respond/etc to the tickets. (The fear of it being flooded with end-user help questions keeps it that way.) The trac is where we keep the list of things to work on, and somewhat categorize them by importance.

-Perhaps after a short survey of items people would like to see, we could have a poll on how much any given item would fetch, and then whom ever liked could pick and choose among them to find the highest cost-benefit ratio over all?
    Feel free to start a thread or do something like this. Money is always a good motivator to get things done. (Be sure to link it here so I will see it.)

This thread is a bit stale, I wonder if we got things far enough along if the good folks at precentral would be open to a post on the blog or something about the idea in general and our cause in particular?
    I wouldn't be adverse to such a thing. Feel free to start that ball rolling

By the way, I think I find that with wIRC running I don't have the 'Luna Reboot' problem, but when I'm not using it I do have the Luna reboot problem... Nothing scientific here, just sayin'.
    I've never gotten any reports of wirc/wircd having anything to do with any luna restarts.
    Hey oil thanks for your reply.

I find that the :-\ bug is pretty reliable for me. However, maybe I'm special (my momma told me I was, and she's never lied to me!). Folks I chat with tend to feel :-\ a lot and I've even tested it with webchat on Firefox on Ubuntu 9.something and done it to myself. It was months ago, but IIRC it was any message ending in \, not just an emoticon. This is the message I get:

--- errorCode: -1
    --- errorText:
    {"sessionToken":"xxx.xxx.xxx","ipAddress":"xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx","event":"PRIVMSG","origin":"sadperson@ho me.com","params":["#awesomechannel","This is how I feel right now :-\"]}
    In regard to the restart thing, there are the various topics on random restarts with the Pre lately (like this thread here: forums.precentral.net/palm-pre/234283-random-restarts.html ).

I'm saying the wIRC seems to FIX MY PHONE in this regard - no random restarts while it runs!

It's like an awesome tonic that also makes me more attractive! :^)
    Last edited by notcalvin; 04/13/2010 at 05:15 PM.
  19.    #119  
    Is it only incoming messages with the \ problem? or outgoing, too?
    The bug is only with incoming messages, when I send a message ending with '\' it goes through as \\, so "Hi :-\" becomes "Hi :-\\" and "this \ is a backslash" becomes "this \\ is a backslash".

Receiving \ works like this: when the \ is in the middle of the received message, it is just dropped: "this \ is a backslash" becomes "this is a backslah".

When the \ is at the end of the message, you get the error message I noted above.

I have verified this is true on two different IRC sites freenode and quakenet.

(Send and receive is relative to the Pre.)
    Last edited by notcalvin; 04/14/2010 at 09:03 PM.
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast