Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    hello, I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this but I figure it pertains to mvapp. I've used mvapp since its release date and I've never had a problem moving apps or emails. Today I loaded preware and got a too many cards error along with my phone freezing. After restarting, I loaded mvapp d and got these results.

mvapp d reports:

238mb used on var.
    10mb free on var
    apps use 25mb on var
    var/tmp has 0mb used
    email uses 12mb on media...

any idea what else will be clogging var? Does anyone have any idea how to clean var up a bit???
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    How about Internalz? Can it look there?

Or use mvapp to see the installed programs and how much each one is using?

Or use the bulk move command where it just ask if you want to move each item individually. It starts with the highest used item. You can always say NO to a transfer, and quit whenever you like.
  3.    #3  
    as stated before, I've moved every app over 2mb off of var and onto media with mvapp. I have also moved my emails. I an get to the folder with internals and the CL, but deleteing things doesn't seem to truly change that used var value, as if there's a trash folder... Is there a Trash that must be emptied when I manually deletethings from var on the pre?
  4.    #4  
    uhhhh.... K... I found the problem:

/var/usr/lib/ipkg/lists/

the file "prethemer" is 181MB, clogging my var. Ummm I smell a bug somewhere??
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    Since this is not happening to everyone, why would you suggest a bug?

Is there ANY possibility that it could be user error?
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    If others see this, I'll update 'mvapp' to monitor this issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tag234 View Post

/var/usr/lib/ipkg/lists/

I turned that Feed off weeks ago and deleted that file... I haven't run into an issue with not enough memory since.

Edit: I thought I backed it up on my laptop before I deleted it but apparently I didn't. I don't recall the exact size becuase I found it via WinSCP (which measures in KiB) but I remember it begin MUCH MUCH larger than every other file in that directory. Since, I don't use the feed I figured what the heck and deleted it. I have a feeling at one point in time something did happen to have that file get out of hand.
    Last edited by MLJones8; 11/10/2009 at 04:20 PM.
    Pre|central Peacekeepers
    Share your Mizzou pride:
    - wallpapers/boot themes - here
    - Black n' Gold theme - here
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xorg View Post
    If others see this, I'll update 'mvapp' to monitor this issue.
    I got the same thing, but for the precentral-themes, 163MB
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    I'm adding a check for this in the next version of mvapp.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tag234 View Post

/var/usr/lib/ipkg/lists/

That file should normally be just under 800Kb.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post

-- Rod
    Rod,

How can I find out how much memory each file should be taking up? I'd ask you to just tell me the round about size, but I'm sure I'll want to compare the files in the future as well (and then the file sizes will be different).
    Pre|central Peacekeepers
    Share your Mizzou pride:
    Quote Originally Posted by MLJones8 View Post
    Rod,

How can I find out how much memory each file should be taking up? I'd ask you to just tell me the round about size, but I'm sure I'll want to compare the files in the future as well (and then the file sizes will be different).
    I just looked on my Pre in that directory.

The size of those files will track the number of packages in that feed.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    I'm sure you'd be pretty safe assuming that 100MB+ is wrong
    I just looked on my Pre in that directory.

The size of those files will track the number of packages in that feed.

-- Rod
    Gotcha, bet there isn't a way for me to check the size of the feed from a home computer or anything? Or Perhaps I could record the size of the directories then delete them off the Pre and update the feeds?

- Just at one point in time Prethemer's feed was very very large, and I'm curious if any of my other feeds are out of control. My solution to PreThemer's feed was simply to disable the feed and delete the file (as I don't use their feed anyhow).

Edit: There all in spec
    Last edited by MLJones8; 11/16/2009 at 08:25 PM.
    Pre|central Peacekeepers
    Share your Mizzou pride:
    Quote Originally Posted by MLJones8 View Post
    Gotcha, bet there isn't a way for me to check the size of the feed from a home computer or anything? Or Perhaps I could record the size of the directories then delete them off the Pre and update the feeds?

- Just at one point in time Prethemer's feed was very very large, and I'm curious if any of my other feeds are out of control. My solution to PreThemer's feed was simply to disable the feed and delete the file (as I don't use their feed anyhow).
    Look at the size of the Packages file in each of the feeds at http://ipkg.preware.org/feeds/

-- Rod
    I have been running into not enough application code room and can not even update applications: Here are the results of my looking around.

I loaded the TERMINAL APP thru PREWARE:

mvapp d
    var used 183MB 74%
    var available 65MB
    app used 39MB on /var
    # total apps 31
    email used 51mb on /var
    attach used 60MB on /var
    var tmp used: 0MB

doing a ls -l on /var/usr/lib/ipkg/lists
    0 canuck-sofware
    1085 optware
    9238 optware-armv7
    5407 pimpmypre
    572940 precentral
    171556 precentral-themes
    803642 prethemer (784KB?)
    118039 webos-patches
    17113 webosinternals
    3439 webosinternals-armv7

I then removed precentral-themes and prethemer

mvapp d
    var used 182MB
    var available 66MB
    app used 39MB on /var
    # total apps: 31
    email used 51MB on /var
    attach used 60MB on /var
    var tmp used: 0MB

I think my problem lies in the 2 POP email and 2 EAS email accounts
    I have on my phone. I removed one of the EAS email accounts and now:

mvapp d
    var used 171MB
    var available 77MB
    app used 39MB
    #total apps 31
    email used 51MB on /var
    attach used 49MB on /var
    var tmp used 0MB

I even rebooted after removing the big EAS email account and still not enough space.
    Anyway to go out and see where some of this space is? I looked at my gmail online and only seen 1 large attachment and it was about 760K. My other IMAP email does have some large attachments. My remaining EAS email should have some too.

Again, any ideas on how to free up this email area? I'd rather NOT move it using mvapp, unless there is no other way.
    Quote Originally Posted by mantry View Post
    I even rebooted after removing the big EAS email account and still not enough space.
    Anyway to go out and see where some of this space is? I looked at my gmail online and only seen 1 large attachment and it was about 760K. My other IMAP email does have some large attachments. My remaining EAS email should have some too.

Again, any ideas on how to free up this email area? I'd rather NOT move it using mvapp, unless there is no other way.
    Check out this thread: http://forums.precentral.net/general...ml#post2025043

it seems like a lot of the deleted email data is staying on the Pre, so even if you remove and add back your email accounts, lots of data stays. As long as you are using an EAS or IMAP email (as opposed to POP3), I would suggested deleting the following 2 directorys: /var/luna/data/emails/ and /var/luna/data/attachments

The easiest way to do this is to load up webOS Quick Install, and pull down the option to "Delete Files/Directories" I did this and it reclaimed over 50 megs for me.

Good luck!

-- Rod
    Hmmm.... I just checked and my /var/usr/lib/ipkg/lists/webos-patches is 146 MB.

How would this happen?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubuntite View Post
    Hmmm.... I just checked and my /var/usr/lib/ipkg/lists/webos-patches is 146 MB.

How would this happen?
    Good question.

What are the first 10 lines and the last 10 lines of that file?

-- Rod
    Good question.

What are the first 10 lines and the last 10 lines of that file?

-- Rod
    Sorry, Rod. As soon as I discovered that file, I deleted it. My Pre had ground to a slow crawl due to /var being full. If it happens again, I will let you know.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast