Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast
    So for those of us that can admit that they were lazy and unknowing and didn't remove the patches, what can I do to fix it. I uninstalled Preware thinking that would work and plan to reinstall it when I get home today...will that work? PS I even reset the phone as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by kiernan7 View Post
    Might I suggest somewhere on PreWhere Central, a HUGE message be displayed in 96 point type, flashing RED that says:

"ALL PREWARE PATCHES MAY BECOME WOOFED IF THE WEB OS CHAGES?"

I had a number of your patches that:

a) No longer work
    b) Can't be removed
    c) Seem to be only salvagable by cleaning my phone off totally?

Shouldn't this be addressed by the PreWare people and fixed instead of by us?

This is REALLY MADDENING!!!!

-- John Kiernan (owner of a now half-working Pre)

I know people around here love to call these things "patches", however these are in fact "hacks". Hacks are never "approved" or "officialized" by the producer of the device, in this case Palm. Anyone who installs a hack should always know that a hack is 100% AYOR (At Your Own Risk). If you don't want to take the risks associated with hacks then don't install them. Wait for Palm to update the OS.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    For those that have issues still. Even after upgrade try the emergency patch removal app. If you have theme artifacts, you could install a new theme over it. (or the old one again). You may not ever get back to normal without a 1) Doctor, or 2) Jason's WebOS Repair Utility. I don't know if he has updated it for 1.3.1 yet, but if not just be patient he will soon. Once it's updated you can run the repair utility and have it restore the files that are altered by your old theme.

You can find the thread talking about the repair utility HERE.

The repair utility will even take care of the patches that were not removed prior to upgrading. You will have to sit tight however until Jason get's the app updated for 1.3.1.

Again the upgrade path is Remove all Themes, Remove the Virtual Keyboard, and use the Emergency patch removal app or manually uninstall all patches. For the paranoid you might want to reboot the phone before updating. You do NOT have to uninstall homebrew apps, or preware. You can find some more information about this provided by the webos-internals team HERE.
    -----------------
    Palm III, Palm IIIc, TT, T3, T5, TX, Pre from Day 1.
    [Soapbox rant on]

This thread epitomizes everything that I feel is wrong with *some* members of the Precentral community.

They only want to come here to complain. They really don't want to learn about their device. They take all the the hard work from the nice folk at WebOS internals and other developers for granite and never donate to them or even thank them. They just want everything handed to them and they want it now. In fact they think they are entitled to all these free programs and tweaks. They complain when they have to pay for anything (ie mytether). They get upset when they are too lazy to read directions and bork their phones. They do not understand the development process and why Palm's process is different than the homebrew community and why it takes so much longer. In fact, they dont even want to understand it. They just want everything now and for free.

Personally I am a little fed up and I am just laying low until all the cry babies switch to some other phone then this can go back to being a productive helpful community like it has been for many years.

[/Soapbox Rant off]
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Remember as well that, as the Preware/webOSInternals folks have already redone most of the patches for 1.3.1 *and* have updated Preware to detect and serve patches for whatever OS you're running, you can easily restore any pre-upgrade patches by:

1) Ensuring you're running the latest version of Preware (by checking Preware itself for updates); and

2) Ensuring you use the Update Feeds option in Preware so you get the right set of Patches; and

3) Remembering to either restart Luna or (more simply) reset your Pre after loading all the new patches so they take effect. {Jonathan}
    Prof. Jonathan I. Ezor
    Writer, PreCentral
    Past Palm Real Reviewer
    @webOSquire on Twitter
    The only thing I forgot to uninstall was my "simple black" theme but it seems that the new webOS update reverted it back to the original Pre theme. I can't get my webOSquickinstall to recognize my pre anymore so I'll just wait for a fix for this. It's not that big a deal. I was able to remove all tweaks/patches beforehand so I have no problems with this.

**EDIT**

I was able to redownload the webOSquickinstall and even though it said I had the simple black theme while displaying the original Pre theme I was still able to revert back to the Pre theme according to webOSquickinstall. All is well. Love it!
    Last edited by niospecv; 11/16/2009 at 08:54 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    I know people around here love to call these things "patches", however these are in fact "hacks". Hacks are never "approved" or "officialized" by the producer of the device, in this case Palm. Anyone who installs a hack should always know that a hack is 100% AYOR (At Your Own Risk). If you don't want to take the risks associated with hacks then don't install them. Wait for Palm to update the OS.
    Not sure where you're getting your definitions from. Got a source for us? In fact, it seems that since these "patches" modify the system files in much the same way that a patch from the originator of the files would, "patches" is quite an apt term.

However, they are also "hacks" in the sense that they are not official, as you rightly point out, and especially as they come for free, they are absolutely 100% AYOR, as you said.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    long story short I had to run webOSdoctor after installing 1.3.1.... I reinstalled preware but now the patch feed section is greyed out but everything else is fine.... Why is this?
    And for more details a reinstalled preware and updayed it with pre updater
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    Hi All,

I just experienced this little issue right now. I had uninstalled all patches prior to letting Palm push WebOS 1.3.1 onto my Pre. After the update was done I then reinstalled most of the patches I had before thru Preware. Phone w/patches was fine until about 30 minutes ago. One of the pathces I had installed after the update was haptic feedback for the calculator and phone dialer. I noticed the phone was not vibrating anymore when tapping the keys for the calculator, but was working for the phone dialer. I decided to restart the phone and then all the patches I had applied were now gone. Wierd.

All programs installed thru Preware are there just not the patches. I did not have any themes installed at the time.

Was wondering if anyone else has this issue.

Thanks in advance.
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    Drewlee i had the same issue. When I woke up this morning my phone was hot and was off for some reason. I turn on the phone and all the patches were gone. I just reloaed them again for the 2nd time. I have no clue whats going on. Also I still cant get my contacts from my Palm Profile and Im getting ****ed. LOL
    Did you make sure to update Preware to the latest version compatible with 1.3.1?

I am actually a firm believer of, "If you patch your phone ever, you must Dr. it before updating" while the latest developers of homebrew have greatly improved the patch process, there's always a chance some part of the update could conflict with the package manager or another part of preware, or even other patches, and the residue could affect the phone negatively, just as you've seen in the past couple days where people say the newest update has made everything so much worse.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    I have no clue if this is down the right track or not, but I almost wonder if the emergency patch removal app doesn't remove itself after running and then on reboot it is triggered again? Just strange.
    -----------------
    Palm III, Palm IIIc, TT, T3, T5, TX, Pre from Day 1.
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alex.dobeck View Post
    Did you make sure to update Preware to the latest version compatible with 1.3.1?

I am actually a firm believer of, "If you patch your phone ever, you must Dr. it before updating" while the latest developers of homebrew have greatly improved the patch process, there's always a chance some part of the update could conflict with the package manager or another part of preware, or even other patches, and the residue could affect the phone negatively, just as you've seen in the past couple days where people say the newest update has made everything so much worse.
    Hi Alex, I think you might have something here. I just realized when I checked Preware earlier today there was an update to Preware itself. Not thinking much of it I installed the Preware update. I think the issue manifested itself very soon after this.

Hi Omar, I feel your pain, I just got my 2nd Pre before the weekend, and it was pure torture (2.5 days of it) trying to get my phone activiated and to regain my contacts thru Palm. Fortunately the contacts I really need the most are in my Google account, so I got that to sync up.

Thanks everyone else for the replies.
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    The patches you have mentioned are not available in 1.3.1
    with the last 3 revisions or so of Preware i've noticed that when the app updates itself it removes all the tweeks and they have to be reapplied. it only seem to be noticeable after a phone restart though. I though this was a design feature to keep from having conflicts between versions of preware and how the tweeks are applied.
    You have to check log notes for some of the patches, especially after an update. Some files get changed here or there, so patches are sometimes combined, eliminated, or adjusted.

In addition, Preware also detects versions of files and adjusts patch availability.

Just to be sure, remove any patches. Make sure Preware is on the latest version and try again. This will guarantee you have the latest and most compatible patches.
    <moved>

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    I just installed preware and am trying to get the onboard keyboard, but on the preware page there is no option for available patches. I went to the preferences section and made sure that the webos patches is on but still nothing. please help
    I had to doctor my phone and when I reloaded preware there wasn't a patch download area... Anyone have a clue why? Thanks for any input!
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast