Page 1 of 13 12345611 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    mvapp has been deprecated unless you still need to migrate after 1.3.5 upgrade. See 'xorg tools' for the next phase.

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...wer-users.html

Attention mvapp users:

I've posted a new version of mvapp 0.4.2 (or higher) on PreWare that has a new command to migrate linked apps, recover any lost linked apps and properly setup ipkg lists that allow apps to showup in Preware. Only use this AFTER applying the webOS 1.3.5 update.

If mvapp 0.4.2 (or higher) doesn't show up in PreWare Updates or if it won't run at all. Remove mvapp and reinstall in PreWare.

If you want to backup your media .apps folder before migrating, you can do this (may take a very long time depending on number of apps linked, be sure battery is charged or charge while performing backup)...

mvapp backup

Only use these commands AFTER webOS 1.3.5 patch is applied.

To migrate apps and fix loose ends, use this...

mvapp migrate

If it gives a message that .apps no longer exists (this might happen if you ran postupd/cleanup earlier), use this command...

mvapp postupd2 (only if above command tells you to run this)

Apps that didn't appear in Preware should now show up and the ipkg manifest should be properly updated. If not, try rebooting phone. Please report your experiences.

After everything is working as it should be, you can do a 'mvapp cleanup', which will remove backups and all .apps in media. You might want to wait a week or two before doing the cleanup unless you really need media space.

Note that linked email is still maintained on /media as webOS 1.3.5 still keeps email on /var. If you want to unlink email, use 'mvapp ue'.
    Last edited by xorg; 02/03/2010 at 08:00 PM.
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    Version 0.3.2 and higher is now available on PreWare. It allows moving email and attachments to the media drive and has a 'diag' command that does diagnostics of /var with recommendations.

Example output of diagnostics...

Code:
    Gathering diag report, hold please...
    var used:          106MB 43%
    var available:     142MB
    app used:          32MB on /var
    # total apps:      164
    # var apps:        123
    # media apps:      41
    email used:        33MB on /media
    attachmnt used:    13MB on /media
    var tmp used:      0MB
    opt used:          37MB
    ipkg lists:        2MB

Recommendations...

- Keep "var used" well below 125MB.

This report is available on media
    drive as... diagreport.rtf
    Last edited by xorg; 11/25/2009 at 04:20 PM.
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    Once you run mvapp, it will create a shortcut to the 'mvapp' command with just 'm'. So after running it once, you can use 'm' as the mvapp command from that point on. This will make it easier to use from the Terminal app.

Example to run diagnostics with shortcuts...
    m d

To see all possible mvapp commands and its shortcuts, type m by itself
    m
    Last edited by xorg; 11/30/2009 at 11:13 AM.
    If you delete an app (using orange button and tap) after having moved it with mvapp, will it delete the app and the link? Or should you move the app back first? Also, "if" you have deleted the app before moving it, could you then go into USB mode and delete the app from windows explorer?
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    ^If the link exists when you delete the app, it will delete the app from media but still keep the link. So if you install the app again, it will put it back to media.

If you want to remove the link, you can do a 'mvapp clean' after removing the app and it will remove the link and any trace of the app, but it doesn't hurt to keep the link around.

You could also 'unlink' the app before doing a delete from the Pre. Then it will back to default location on /var. Deleting is then the normal behavior.

You should not delete the app from USB connection. Best to first delete from Pre and then do a 'mvapp clean' if you don't want the link anymore.
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    That email part "appeared" to help me greatly. Here's a before and after...

BEFORE (after deleting all emails and emptying trash)

Gathering /var report, hold please...
    var used: 187MB 76%
    var available: 61MB
    app used: 3MB on /var
    email used: 50MB on /var
    attach used: 41MB on /var
    var tmp used: 0MB
    opt used: 63MB

Recommendations...

- Attempt to keep "var used" below 100MB.

- Consider reducing space on /var.
    /var use is greater than 100MB.
    - Consider moving email: mvapp linkemail

- Consider removing optware packages.
    You have optware software installed.
    See: ipkg-opt list_installed
    Do: ipkg-opt remove ipkg
    Ask on PreCentral.

drive as... varreport.txt

After sending email to media....

Gathering /var report, hold please...
    var used: 97MB 39%
    var available: 151MB
    app used: 3MB on /var
    email used: 177MB on /media
    attach used: 136MB on /media
    var tmp used: 0MB
    opt used: 63MB

Recommendations...

- Attempt to keep "var used" below 100MB.

drive as... varreport.txt

Also, I tried the "ipkg-opt remove ipkg" and it didn't seem to want to remove anything.
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    Looks like mvapp helped out by moving apps and email but your optware usage is also high. Do an ipkg-opt list_installed and paste here. We could probably help out with how to remove some.
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    Thanks for the offer...any help would be appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I am also getting the message about the "- Consider removing optware packages.
    ipkg-opt remove ipkg
    No packages removed.
    Nothing to be done. I have attached the results of the ipkg-opt list_installed command in the opt.txt file.

Thanks

Mike
    Attached Files Attached Files
    I am also getting the message about the "- Consider removing optware packages.
    ipkg-opt remove ipkg
    No packages removed.
    Nothing to be done. I have attached the results of the ipkg-opt list_installed command in the opt.txt file.

Thanks

Mike
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Ok guys, the ipkg-opt remove ipkg refers to the ipkg being the name of the application.

Such as ipkg-opt remove quilt-lite
    -----------------
    Palm III, Palm IIIc, TT, T3, T5, TX, Pre from Day 1.
    Yeah, not sure what I was thinking there, thanks.....I see many of the opt packages that I have installed are ones that I would think need to be there, like the openssh, and sftp server. The report from mvapp said I had 25MB of opt installed, is that considered a large amount of opt packages? I am hesitant to start removing them as I am not sure about the dependencies that may exist.
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    Mine have been on there since we were all experimenting. I think I'd probably be better off removing it all and just installing what I need.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Yeah, I was advised to remove it all and then install only what is actually needed. Instead I just started removing stuff left and right. I went from 32mb down to about 16mb. I removed coreutils that was big. And I can still ssh in and scp in to my pre. I can't remember what all I removed.
    -----------------
    Palm III, Palm IIIc, TT, T3, T5, TX, Pre from Day 1.
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    Do they have to be removed 1 at a time by the name given on the list?

Can you give an example?

Or is there a bulk remove method?
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    You have both openssh and dropbear installed. You can remove one of them..

ipkg-opt remove dropbear
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    If you move email and most apps, you could probably manage to have about 30-40MB or so of optware installed. You would need to continue to move larger apps to media as you install them.

If Palm doesn't fix this issue in next release, you might see a future version of PreWare and other homebrew installers automatically move apps to media as they are installed.
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    removed dropbear, still have opt used: 63MB.
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    Right, you'll need to remove quite a few more. Was just showing an example of how to remove.
    Sorry for the ignorant question, but a tad confused on the cleanup option. So it says to first delete the app in the normal way from launcher with the orange key + d but then is the linked app still over on the usb media? It looks like if I run mvapp clean it'll delete everything I have for linked apps rather then just those I've deleted from the /Var side? It says you can do mvapp clean domain.appname but I'm having a hard time knowing what exactly the app name is. I can list all linked apps and it still shows the vino app in the list even though I deleted from the launcher and it disappeared there. How do I remove only this app from the linked usb side? Is there an easy way to do this?
    Thanks,
Page 1 of 13 12345611 ... LastLast