Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    ^1.3.1 does not appear to address the app limit issues, so mvapp is still, unfortunately, needed.
    Last edited by xorg; 11/14/2009 at 03:26 PM.
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dbtrade View Post
    Hey Xorg,

I'm having trouble upgrading the Pre OS. I'm still stuck at version 1.2.0 and Palm 1.8.

So I'm considering using the Docter to reset the device. I'd like to try and use mvapp to archive my homebrew apps. I've moved all that I could to my media drive and will be backing that up.

Anything you could suggest to help make a restore of these apps using mvapp work?
    mvapp doesn't relink disconnected apps (yet). Not sure if I want to go down this path yet as it may open can of worms with ipkg lists matching what is in the directory. Rod?

The apps should still work though. If you want to experiment, first backup the .apps folder from media drive to computer before re-imagining phone.

To restore...
    USB mount and copy files back to USB drive ( .apps folder)
    Install/Run Terminal app from PreWare
    cd /media/internal/.apps
    cp -rp * /var/usr/palm/applications

Check if apps work OK

Install mvapp and relink the apps.

Use info at your own risk.
    Thanks, will try later and update my results here
    No, they did not address it in 1.3.1. No worries though, just use Mvapp and your good as gold. I don't care when they fix it anymore because its not even an issue to me thank to these guys hard work!
    Doing a bulk move is the easiest method FYI. It won't move all apps it will prompt you if you want to move an app or not. (Starting with the biggest first)

This has been a lifesaver for me so I can install as many apps as I want. Kudos to the author! Maybe we can get a GUI going for it.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    Apparently Palm does not want to sell very many app's or they would have addressed this issue in 1.3.1. Crazy.
    Dave Cook | Fort Myers, Florida | Palm pre | Touchstone | Vaja iVolution Deco
    Quote Originally Posted by xorg View Post
    mvapp doesn't relink disconnected apps (yet). Not sure if I want to go down this path yet as it may open can of worms with ipkg lists matching what is in the directory. Rod?

The apps should still work though. If you want to experiment, first backup the .apps folder from media drive to computer before re-imagining phone.

To restore...
    cd /media/internal/.apps

Check if apps work OK

What I am seeing from doing this...and I'm sorry I didn't try this prior to doctoring the phone, could I just copy the whole applications folder to my PC using SCP, and then copy it back after doctoring? Maybe replacing only files that don't exist, or are older?
    Just ran into the limit... installed Fair Dinkum.. no help.
    Installed MvApp thru WOSQI... ran the list..
    Ran mvapp, bulk move... It's still running!! (10 minutes so far...)

How long does this usually take???
    Tina T
    MCP, MCSE, MCDBA, VCP

Sharp Zaurus > Cassiopeia A-20 > Casio E-115 > Psion 3 > Phillips VELO 1 > Palm V > Treo 90 > Treo 300 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Centro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo 4G > Samsung Epic 4G > HTC EVO 4G Shift & a rooted Nook Color!! (But still have nothing but love and hope for Palm)
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    ^The bulkmv command should quickly show the largest app and then ask if you want to move. Try closing the Terminal app and run again.

Does 'mvapp doctor' give you a status report?
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dbtrade View Post
    What I am seeing from doing this...and I'm sorry I didn't try this prior to doctoring the phone, could I just copy the whole applications folder to my PC using SCP, and then copy it back after doctoring? Maybe replacing only files that don't exist, or are older?
    Essentially yes. Even w/out using mvapp, you could copy all of /var/usr/palm/applications somewhere else and then copy back after doctoring. But after a restore, the ipkg lists for PreWare will be out of sync. Not sure what that does to managing/updating apps from that point on. The apps will likely work though.
    Still didn't work. Funny thing.. I tried moving them individually and that does work. Just not as a bulk move.
    Tina T
    MCP, MCSE, MCDBA, VCP

Sharp Zaurus > Cassiopeia A-20 > Casio E-115 > Psion 3 > Phillips VELO 1 > Palm V > Treo 90 > Treo 300 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Centro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo 4G > Samsung Epic 4G > HTC EVO 4G Shift & a rooted Nook Color!! (But still have nothing but love and hope for Palm)
    Quote Originally Posted by techiechick View Post
    Still didn't work. Funny thing.. I tried moving them individually and that does work. Just not as a bulk move.
    bulkmove does not move the apps all at once, if maybe that was what you are thinking. It presents each app individually.

Kinda changed my expectations the first time I saw the command too, but how clear can you be in one word?

Great App.
    To restore...
    cd /media/internal/.apps

Check if apps work OK

So the question for me becomes what exactly do you mean by "relink the apps"?

I copied the apps back to the /var drive. They didn't show.

I ran mvapp list_moved and they showed and worked.

Now I have everthing in 2 places on the Pre, so I am re bulk_moving all the apps to the media drive with the idea that they will overwrite the previous versions on the media drive while freeing up space on the var drive.

Or did my thinking go off track somewhere?
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    Yes, by relinking I meant to do bulkmv. The bulkmv will overwrite the apps on media, so you should then only have one copy.
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by techiechick View Post
    Bulkmv should ask a question if you want to move the app and you have to enter Y. Does it even show the version of mvapp? If not, try rebooting the phone.
    Essentially yes. Even w/out using mvapp, you could copy all of /var/usr/palm/applications somewhere else and then copy back after doctoring. But after a restore, the ipkg lists for PreWare will be out of sync. Not sure what that does to managing/updating apps from that point on. The apps will likely work though.
    Yes, by relinking I meant to do bulkmv. The bulkmv will overwrite the apps on media, so you should then only have one copy.
    So this all worked, except that even with relinking PreWare is unaware that the apps are installed. So I let PreWare re-install a few with no apparent harm. then repeated the bulk move operation.

Settings in the apps appeared to not be lost during the re-install.

I realize that right now, somehow making Preware aware that the app is already installed is probably not a big priority, but if you do go down the road of turning mvapp into a better backup solution, you might want to touch base with Rwhitby and see if there is some way to make Preware pick up during it's fixing apps scan that the program is already installed.

Thanks for mvapp, saved me some headache in doctoring my phone.

db
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    ^Yea, I expected that to happen. I could have mvapp link PreWare's (er, package manager's) ipkg list to media as well but haven't gone down the path of being a backup solution as that is a big scope change to take on. May consider it down the road, but once I go there, maintaining a backup app could be a beotch as users depend on it.
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooknn View Post
    Apparently Palm does not want to sell very many app's or they would have addressed this issue in 1.3.1. Crazy.
    If power users are low on storage due to homebrew, I could see this is not something Palm must immediately address - the homebrew community should. And the App Catalog is technically still in Beta afterall. But email alone can clog up system storage and Palm has got to address that.

Seems they could easily move email/attachment data over to the media drive in a minor release as it's not a major architectural change. Data can naturally reside on media drive as is... Apps are a bit more complicated as some won't work on FAT fs (which mvapp carefully addresses).
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    question (for which i can't seem to find the answer) - what does "attach used" refer to?
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    attach = attachments

It is the file attachments associated with email, such as pictures and other files. When mvapp moves email to media, it also moves the attachments.

'attach used' is therefore the amount of storage used by attachments.
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast