Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
    I was trying to update Pandora and I got the out of memory message. Looking at this form I see what needs to happen just need to know how do you know which one specifically to remove.
    Code:
    bash - 3.2.49-1 - A bourne style shell
    coreutils - 7.5-1 - Bunch of heavyweight *nix core utilities
    diffutils - 2.8.1-6 - contains gnu diff, cmp, sdiff and diff3 to display differences between and among text files
    dropbear - 0.52-5 - Lightweight SSH client and server system
    expat - 2.0.1-1 - XML Parser library
    getopt - 2.15-2 - The getopt utility from the util-linux-ng package.
    git - 1.6.4.4-1 - GIT is a directory tree content manager that can be used for distributed revision control.
    libcurl - 7.19.6-1 - Curl is a command line tool for transferring files with URL syntax, supporting FTP, FTPS, HTTP, HTTPS, GOPHER, TELNET, DICT, FI
    ncurses - 5.7-1 - NCurses libraries
    openssh - 5.2p1-2 - a FREE version of the SSH protocol suite of network connectivity tools.
    openssh-sftp-server - 5.2p1-2 - sftp-server only from a FREE version of the SSH protocol suite of network connectivity tools.
    openssl - 0.9.8k-1 - Openssl provides the ssl implementation in libraries libcrypto and libssl, and is needed by many other applications and librari
    patch - 2.5.9-3 - applies a diff to produce a patched file
    psmisc - 21.4-1 - A set of some small useful utilities that use the proc filesystem.
    quilt-lite - 0.48-5 - A set of scripts to manage a series of patches.
    rcs - 5.7-2 - The Revision Control System (RCS) manages multiple revisions of files.
    readline - 6.0-1 - The GNU Readline library provides a set of functions for use by applications that allow users to edit command lines as they are
    sudo - 1.7.2-1 - System utility to execute commands as the superuser
    zlib - 1.2.3-3 - zlib is a library implementing the 'deflate' compression system.
    I still want to be able to use WinScp to get to my pre. Please help. I don't want to just start deleting and then have to start over.
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    It looks like you have almost the same thing I had. I removed it all and the free space is very, very nice.

Now I am going to re-evaluate my needs and check the options to obtain the results I want.
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by volcom45 View Post
    Sorry for the ignorant question, but a tad confused on the cleanup option. So it says to first delete the app in the normal way from launcher with the orange key + d but then is the linked app still over on the usb media? It looks like if I run mvapp clean it'll delete everything I have for linked apps rather then just those I've deleted from the /Var side? It says you can do mvapp clean domain.appname but I'm having a hard time knowing what exactly the app name is. I can list all linked apps and it still shows the vino app in the list even though I deleted from the launcher and it disappeared there. How do I remove only this app from the linked usb side? Is there an easy way to do this?
    Thanks,

Yes, you can remove the link if you'd like after deleted from Launcher.

(do this)
    mvapp list

(scroll up to find the link of the app you deleted, note domain.appname)
    mvapp clean domain.appname

In the 'list', the ones with size of 0 are links. Keep scrolling up until you find your app.

I'll consider in the next version to do a smart guess when doing domain appnames... that is, to do a 'mvapp vino' and it will find any apps that have part of the name then ask if you want to link/unlink/clean, etc.

Hope this helps. Let me know if the above doesn't work for you. BTW, it doesn't hurt to keep the link. If you install vino again, it will put it directly onto media.
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    I was trying to update Pandora and I got the out of memory message. Looking at this form I see what needs to happen just need to know how do you know which one specifically to remove.

I still want to be able to use WinScp to get to my pre. Please help. I don't want to just start deleting and then have to start over.
    What's the output of 'mvapp doctor'? Have you moved many apps as well as email? How much space is optware using? I've moved nearly all large apps and email and still able to have some optware, a bit more than you have.
    Quote Originally Posted by xorg View Post
    Yes, you can remove the link if you'd like after deleted from Launcher.

(do this)
    mvapp list

(scroll up to find the link of the app you deleted, note domain.appname)
    mvapp clean domain.appname

In the 'list', the ones with size of 0 are links. Keep scrolling up until you find your app.

I'll consider in the next version to do a smart guess when doing domain appnames... that is, to do a 'mvapp vino' and it will find any apps that have part of the name then ask if you want to link/unlink/clean, etc.

Hope this helps. Let me know if the above doesn't work for you. BTW, it doesn't hurt to keep the link. If you install vino again, it will put it directly onto media.
    Thanks so much for the explanation! It makes great sense. Ya, I'm not trying to delete the actual link file, but did want to free up the space on the USB drive if the App was indeed still sitting there! I'll do like you mentioned.
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    I have a question. I deleted every piece of mail I could find and the mvapp doctor still found a lot of leftover trash. Mvapp moved it to media successfully. I think I found all of the stuff in Internalz, under /media/internal/.data/ attachments and emails. The sub-directory folders are labeled buckets.

Can I delete all of the bucket folders and then unlink the email? Or can I delete the email and attachments folders before I unlink?

I'm kinda preparing to get back stock or at least see where I stand as I clean up the Pre and prepare for the next WebOS update.
    What's the output of 'mvapp doctor'? Have you moved many apps as well as email? How much space is optware using? I've moved nearly all large apps and email and still able to have some optware, a bit more than you have.
    I moved the emails and the freed up my space. I was just thinking though if some of this optware stuff is not being used I need to delete it. Just not sure what is being used.
    Is there a way of deleting the 1.2.1 update, that has been downloaded, but not installed, from /var/lib/software/tmp? Mvapp doc telles me that there is 88 mb in this directory and that it is probably an update ready to install. I already updated to 1.2.1 when it first came out, but last week was notified that 1.2.1 was ready to be installed. I did not install it but instead installed the patch that prevents updating, but apparently the update is still in this tmp directory waiting to be installed and taking up space. Or do I have to uninstall all my patches and let it do the update again then reinstall my patches? Thanks
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    ^You'll probably just have to run the update. Even if you remove, it will want to run update again. There is likely a patch you have that touches the / filesystem. There is a thread on that somewhere. Most patches have been updated so that 1.2.1 doesn't keep reapplying. After you run the update, your var usage will go down quite a bit and you'll be able to install apps.
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    I moved the emails and the freed up my space. I was just thinking though if some of this optware stuff is not being used I need to delete it. Just not sure what is being used.
    What's your total /var used reporting? If it's below 85MB, I wouldn't worry about it. As long as you continue to move apps and have email linkede, you could essentially maintain enough free space long term.
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 02589 View Post
    I have a question. I deleted every piece of mail I could find and the mvapp doctor still found a lot of leftover trash. Mvapp moved it to media successfully. I think I found all of the stuff in Internalz, under /media/internal/.data/ attachments and emails. The sub-directory folders are labeled buckets.

Can I delete all of the bucket folders and then unlink the email? Or can I delete the email and attachments folders before I unlink?

I'm kinda preparing to get back stock or at least see where I stand as I clean up the Pre and prepare for the next WebOS update.
    You probably should not delete the bucket folders. When you deleted your emails, did you also empty the trash? Now that email is on much larger /media, I wouldn't worry about the usage so much unless media drive is nearly full.

If you want blanked out email, best way is to remove the email accounts and then re-add them. You could also reduce number of days to retrieve to just 1 day.
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    You probably should not delete the bucket folders. When you deleted your emails, did you also empty the trash? Now that email is on much larger /media, I wouldn't worry about the usage so much unless media drive is nearly full.

If you want blanked out email, best way is to remove the email accounts and then re-add them. You could also reduce number of days to retrieve to just 1 day.
    Yes, I deleted e-mails and emptied trash before the mvapp, so the attachment and email folders are loaded with buckets stuff that isn't supposed to be on the machine. I set the system to keep mail just 1 day a few weeks ago. It's almost 100MB of unwanted stuff, which isn't much for the media area but really big if I unlink back to /var for one reason or another.
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    ^Ya might try completely removing your email accounts and start back from scratch. Curious that webOS is keeping stuff even though deleted. webOS oddly doesn't fully remove applications either when deleting.
    I started using this yesterday, and moved a bunch of stuff over to my media partition. Very nice script! Unfortunately, last night on the way home from work my power button stopped working, so I'm thinking I'll need to take my phone in to Sprint for repairs/replacement.

Is there a way to use mvapps as a sort of application backup method (back up to media partition, pull files off, get new phone, put files back, relink)? I have some applications installed that are no longer available in the current state I have them on my phone, and if I get a new phone I won't be able to get them back (in that state).
    ^You'll probably just have to run the update. Even if you remove, it will want to run update again. There is likely a patch you have that touches the / filesystem. There is a thread on that somewhere. Most patches have been updated so that 1.2.1 doesn't keep reapplying. After you run the update, your var usage will go down quite a bit and you'll be able to install apps.
    I'm in the same situation, with the doctor pointing out I may have an update waiting to be installed. Since I have updates blocked, however, and I don't need the re-update, why not just delete what's there and wait until another major os update, then delete all patches, move things back with mvapp, and allow the update to be installed? It's gotten real old re-installing 1.21 for the third time, removing all patches each time.
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    ^I suspect if you delete the update files, it will just download them again. You could try deleting them but your probably better off finding out which patch is causing the update. From what I recall, any patch that touches the / filesystem will cause an update. I'm not sure which patch(es) do this, but there is a thread somewhere that addresses this.
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by enormous View Post
    Is there a way to use mvapps as a sort of application backup method (back up to media partition, pull files off, get new phone, put files back, relink)? I have some applications installed that are no longer available in the current state I have them on my phone, and if I get a new phone I won't be able to get them back (in that state).
    This script is turning into a storage manager and backups is something I've been thinking about. The current script would not be able to link back restored apps, but you could attempt this manually. Backup/restore might be something I do in the future but is not on the plate right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by enormous View Post
    I started using this yesterday, and moved a bunch of stuff over to my media partition. Very nice script! Unfortunately, last night on the way home from work my power button stopped working, so I'm thinking I'll need to take my phone in to Sprint for repairs/replacement.

FWIW, I essentially did just that about a week ago when I decided to doctor my Pre to fix the recurring update problem. It worked, as far as restoring those apps that I had moved with mvapp then backed up to my PC. Doctored my Pre, copied back everthing, installed Preware, terminal, and mv app, ran mvapp restoreall.

My guess would be it should work for a new phone as well.
    Symbol SPT1500 (Palm III w/laser barcode scanner) -> Treo 600 -> Treo 755p -> Pre
    ^I suspect if you delete the update files, it will just download them again. You could try deleting them but your probably better off finding out which patch is causing the update. From what I recall, any patch that touches the / filesystem will cause an update. I'm not sure which patch(es) do this, but there is a thread somewhere that addresses this.
    Well, I am a newbie at determining this. Certainly the most suspicious app is the donor version of My Tether because of the way it is installed by the developer's installer. The blocking patch I have installed shown here I assume only blocks the installation and not the downloading. If that is not true, then deleting it would not result in a re-download. I can certainly live with things the way they are; I just am not able to download any apps from the catalog based on both the email and uninstalled update issue. It sounds like this MIGHT be addressed in the 1.31 OS??? If it is, it's probably worth doing nothing and waiting. Any suggestions based on this shot?

Last edited by davidra; 11/04/2009 at 11:17 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by crocostimpy View Post
    FWIW, I essentially did just that about a week ago when I decided to doctor my Pre to fix the recurring update problem. It worked, as far as restoring those apps that I had moved with mvapp then backed up to my PC. Doctored my Pre, copied back everthing, installed Preware, terminal, and mv app, ran mvapp restoreall.

My guess would be it should work for a new phone as well.
    That's great to hear. Appreciate the info!
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast