Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 38910111213
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by McKathryn View Post
    I have a question:

The update to 1.3.5.1 went very smoothly, and I used mvapp according to all the instructions. I migrated and then ran the EMH. Everything looks great, except that I lost all the data associated with my shopping list program. Is there a way for me to get it back? I did a complete backup to my computer before the update, and I also wonder if the file(s) are still on the Pre. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

I'm not sure where shopping list stores it's data. If it's online, you probably just need to setup the login info.

Was shopping ever linked using mvapp? One thing you could try if you have not run cleanup yet is...

mvapp s shop

Then do an unlink. Run EMH.

If you ran 'cleanup' and have a 'backup', you can run 'mvapp restorebk', which puts apps back in /media/internal/.apps. Can then repeat search command above.

But it sounds like the app runs fine. Also see if there is an upgrade for shopping list. I'd guess that particular program is not 1.3.5 friendly and needs an upgrade. Might check the thread for that app if there is one.
    xorg tools - power tools for power users
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by caj2008 View Post
    Is there use to either of these if you have installed all programs using a brand new Pre (vs. 1.3.5)? I would appreciate you letting me know.

Thank You
    mvapp is no longer needed for linking apps after 1.3.5, in fact, shouldn't be use for that.

However you could still use it to link email if you have mass amounts of email and attachments. Palm still stores email/attatchments on /var, which is not very large.

mvapp le (to link email)
    mvapp ue (to unlink email)

For light email users, linking email to /media is probably not needed but some have used up over 100MB of /var space with email.
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alexlevy117 View Post
    xorg,
    i ran the mvapp migrate command already and everything works well. I never used the mvapp postupd command. I was running the mvapp cleanup command and it asked me to only run if i used postupd? is it ok to continue and use the cleanup if i used migrate and not postupd?
    Sorry if the answer is obvious, i just want to be sure before i hit 'y'
    Thanks for all of your help
    ^Yes, you can use 'mvapp cleanup' after 'migrate' command.
    Quote Originally Posted by xorg View Post
    <snip> One thing you could try if you have not run cleanup yet is...

mvapp s shop

Then do an unlink. Run EMH. <snip>
    This did it! Thank you so very much!
    I ♥ my Pre.
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    Do you mean is EMH no longer needed? In general once you run it, you no longer need it unless still tinkering with unlinking mvapp linked apps.

The slowness is likely not due to the number of apps installed. If you have something installed that involves a new service running or has memory leaks, those could be slowing it down, but it could be most anything causing slowdowns. Not likely related to number of apps _installed_ though. The number of apps simultaneously _running_ will likely cause slowdowns.
  6. Fuu
    thanks, mvapp + emh fixed my app catalog (o2 germany gsm pre).
    very nice.

what does 'mvapp cleanup' exactly do?
    if that is explained in the link in your signature, i'm sorry but
    "To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 6 posts."

I did the "m d m" in Terminal

var used: 32MB 13%
    var availabel : 216MB
    app used : 4MB on /var
    # total apps: 17
    # var apps: 16
    # media apps: 1
    email used: 0MB on /var
    attach used: 0MB on /var
    var tmp used: 0MB
    ipkg list: 5MB

Recommendations....
    Keep "var used" well below 125MB ........ How can I do that? it shows 32MB.... Do I need to Use webOSDoctor to fix this?? Thank you

The reason I'm asking is because I'm not able to download any application off app catalog and that's because I have no enough room on my drive.....
    Last edited by SimonR; 02/02/2010 at 08:20 PM. Reason: more info
    Global Posts
    115 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonR View Post
    I did the "m d m" in Terminal

var used: 32MB 13%
    var availabel : 216MB
    app used : 4MB on /var
    # total apps: 17
    # var apps: 16
    # media apps: 1
    email used: 0MB on /var
    attach used: 0MB on /var
    var tmp used: 0MB
    ipkg list: 5MB

Recommendations....
    Keep "var used" well below 125MB ........ How can I do that? it shows 32MB.... Do I need to Use webOSDoctor to fix this?? Thank you
    32MB is well below 125MB. You still have 216MB free on /var. So there is nothing to fix.

Hope this helps... plee3
    Quote Originally Posted by plee3 View Post
    32MB is well below 125MB. You still have 216MB free on /var. So there is nothing to fix.

Hope this helps... plee3
    Yeah, But I still can't download a 4MB app.
    Global Posts
    115 Global Posts
    Yeah, But I still can't download a 4MB app.
    Which application?

Are you running WebOS 1.3.5.1?

How are you downloading the app (App Catalog, Preware, or WOSQI)?

If using Preware/WOSQI, what versions?

Thanks... plee3
    Which application?

Are you running WebOS 1.3.5.1?

How are you downloading the app (App Catalog, Preware, or WOSQI)?

If using Preware/WOSQI, what versions?

Thanks... plee3
    I'm using App Catalog and trying to download Pocketmirror for outlook It's about 3480K. But I keep getting Error "app storage is full" I must delete some apps before I can download it.. I'm using WebOS 1.3.1 Thanks
    Global Posts
    115 Global Posts
    I'm using App Catalog and trying to download Pocketmirror for outlook It's about 3480K. But I keep getting Error "app storage is full" I must delete some apps before I can download it.. I'm using WebOS 1.3.1 Thanks
    WebOS 1.3.5.1 "fixes" the app storage limit on /var and puts the apps in the large 7GB /media/internal partition.

You should consider upgrading to 1.3.5.1.

Thanks... plee3
    WebOS 1.3.5.1 "fixes" the app storage limit on /var and puts the apps in the large 7GB /media/internal partition.

You should consider upgrading to 1.3.5.1.

Thanks... plee3
    Thank you I'll do that.. but I must remove all patches before doing so? anything else I should do before upgrading?
    Global Posts
    115 Global Posts
    Thank you I'll do that.. but I must remove all patches before doing so? anything else I should do before upgrading?
    Yes you need to remove all your 1.3.1 patches (since I don't think they have the new AUPT technology that was recently implemented last week for 1.3.5 patches).

You should also remove any installed themes.

Make sure your Palm profile has been recently backed up (run the Backup app and check your last backup time).

Since this is a major upgrade, you may lose some application data and some applications. If you have important application data that you need to save, you may want to check your app vendors to see if there is a way to backup your app data before you perform the upgrade.

You might want to check some other threads that detail the 1.3.1 to 1.3.5 upgrade steps and issues.

Hope this helps... plee3
    Yes you need to remove all your 1.3.1 patches (since I don't think they have the new AUPT technology that was recently implemented last week for 1.3.5 patches).

You should also remove any installed themes.

Make sure your Palm profile has been recently backed up (run the Backup app and check your last backup time).

Since this is a major upgrade, you may lose some application data and some applications. If you have important application data that you need to save, you may want to check your app vendors to see if there is a way to backup your app data before you perform the upgrade.

You might want to check some other threads that detail the 1.3.1 to 1.3.5 upgrade steps and issues.

Hope this helps... plee3

I did all that and EVERYTHING is working fine including yahoo & MSN chat , Emails......I wish there was an option where you can highlight a line and not "select everything" off a notes and copy and paste wherever needed.... Anyways thank you for your help..
    Simon
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    Here's a question - I'm going to have to get a replacement for my Pre soon, and I'm trying to find the best backup method... does mvapp's backup constitute a decent option? (Will it even work anymore now that apps are no longer stored in var?)
    tried the whole bit and when i tried to download something it still told me i needed more space. CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP. My email is bjlee27@aol.com if anyone has any answers. NEED HELP!!!!!!!!!
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 38910111213