Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast
    Global Posts
    489 Global Posts
    Works fine for me and I had email and apps linked. I just need a clean solution to get them all migrated to where the new home is supposed to be...I guess I can just copy them over?
    -sh, mvapp not found
    I keep getting this error and when I try mvappd it scrolls through a bunch of code then lets me navigate to mvapp and enter mvapp postupd but returns permission denied. I lost a ton of apps...
    If "If's" and "But's" were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas!

Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    If getting 'mvapp not found'

Try 'mvappd' or go into PreWare, find mvapp and remove then reinstall.

Then run...

mvapp postupd

or

mvappd postupd

When it asks if you want to remove the links after moving the apps, answer yes.
    xorg tools - power tools for power users
    Quote Originally Posted by xorg View Post
    If getting 'mvapp not found'

Try 'mvappd' or go into PreWare, find mvapp and remove then reinstall.

Then run...

mvapp postupd

or

mvappd postupd

When it asks if you want to remove the links after moving the apps, answer yes.
    Okay, I did all this & it worked fine & is asking me if I want to delete links but the apps aren't showing up on my pages...does it require a restart for them to appearN I'm afraid to delete links at this point...took forever to run as I had 168 apps to move!

Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    It doesn't refresh the apps page until mvapp quits. What you could do is bring up another Terminal app session, run mvapp with nothing and it will refresh the apps page. Check if apps are there and then answer Y to deleting the links in the other Terminal session.
    It doesn't refresh the apps page until mvapp quits. What you could do is bring up another Terminal app session, run mvapp with nothing and it will refresh the apps page. Check if apps are there and then answer Y to deleting the links in the other Terminal session.
    THANK YOU!! This worked great....all I Have to do now is move them to their rightful pages....you ROCK!

Edit: So I did a restart on my phone and all the apps I had linked are on my phone but all not moved & linked, like email program, Preware, messaging app, etc. Are all gone. I used to have 10 pages and now there's only 1. The option to add more pages shows up in the menu but doesn't work. This is weird....

So I typed in preware with the launcher screne up and it showed up. I downloaded the emergency miration tool after getting the latest package manager (had .27 already) and afte the luna restart my phone is BACK! There is a God!
    Last edited by spudland; 12/29/2009 at 05:58 PM. Reason: after restart all hell broke lose, lol!

So I did the mvapp postupd and only had 5 apps to move and it was working then I droped my Pre on the floor and it turned off. Opps. Now it won't get pass the palm logo. If I run a WebOs Doctor will my pictures be back up?

Nevermind it finally powered up after a few battery pulls but how do I know if mvapp worked?
    Last edited by OneDeep; 12/29/2009 at 09:13 PM.
    --Marvin
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    ^Do 'mvapp listmoved' (lm) and it will show the apps you had moved. Then check if they are in your Launcher. If so, postupd worked.
    Last edited by xorg; 12/30/2009 at 01:22 PM.
    ^Do 'mvapp listmoved' (lm) and it will show the apps you had moved. Then check if they are in your Launcher. If so, postupd worked.

BTW, there is a hidden command....

mvapp cleanup

After you are satisfied that everything is working after 'postupd' or 'restorebk' depending on if you did Option 2 or 3, the cleanup command will remove...

The .apps folder that used to hold the linked apps as well as the backup files if you used Option 2.

Ony run 'cleanup' _after_ you run a 'postupd' or 'restorebk' or else you will lose all of your linked apps.
    I opened terminal and tried to run mvapp and it says that it cannot find the app!!!!! Preware shows it installed so will not let me reinstall it. Same problem as patches.

Can anyone help?
    Ok i wanna make sure i have this right before i proceed. I used mvapp to link applications to work around the previous app install limit. I did nothing before updating pre to 1.3.5. All was well after the update. All applications showed in the launcher and all links worked.
    I have not tried the mvapp postupd command and have not used the emergency migration tool yet.
    Here is my question: should i do EMT first then mvapp postupd or the other way around or does it matter?
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ravsteve View Post
    I opened terminal and tried to run mvapp and it says that it cannot find the app!!!!! Preware shows it installed so will not let me reinstall it. Same problem as patches.

Can anyone help?
    Even though PreWare shows it installed, remove it then reinstall. You should then have mvapp.

There is also a backup of mvapp named as 'mvappd'.
    Quote Originally Posted by alexlevy117 View Post
    Ok i wanna make sure i have this right before i proceed. I used mvapp to link applications to work around the previous app install limit. I did nothing before updating pre to 1.3.5. All was well after the update. All applications showed in the launcher and all links worked.
    I have not tried the mvapp postupd command and have not used the emergency migration tool yet.
    Here is my question: should i do EMT first then mvapp postupd or the other way around or does it matter?
    OK, NOW I'm confused. Why would one need to run either of these if everything is working correctly after the update? What am I missing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atalbert View Post
    OK, NOW I'm confused. Why would one need to run either of these if everything is working correctly after the update? What am I missing?
    I was wondering the same thing. The only thing I could come up with is that the update only moved the apps that you got from the app catalog to the main memory. Homebrew apps didn't get moved. What I want to know is, do the homebrew apps that you get from now on get stored in the main storage or does it still get stored in the limited storage?
    I've run EMT and mvapp postupd, and now all the app icons are visible in the launcher, but Preware doesn't show the moved apps as being installed. Is this a Preware problem or is there something I can do about it using mvapp?
    Question does mvapp postupd move apps back to /var or to /media/cryptofs/apps?

If the latter, that will cause issues with Palm's app migration to skip over all the apps and leave a lot of stale ipkg data in /var but no good package data in /media/cryptofs/apps.

-Eric G

WebOS Internals Developer.
    Follow me on Twitter for updates to my projects: | Virtual Keyboard | wIRC | SuperTux | AUPT | KeyBoss | freeTether |

Donate
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    The 'mvapp postupd' copies apps directly to the cryptofs. It seems all is fine unless doing the EMH, so I thought it was an EMH issue. So it appears the apps still work but updates would likely not work unless deleting/reinstalling the app.

To restore back to /var, you can do a 'mvapp restoreall'. And then do EMH. However you'd need enough space on /var to hold all of the moved apps.

After doing postupd, the apps still exist in /media/internal/.apps... These could be unlinked a few at a time (mvapp unlink) and then use the EMH for each set of apps copied.

Edit: I'm checking with Rod on this. In the meantime, it doesn't hurt to do postupd to get the apps up and running. Will work with Rod on how to get the ipkg lists back to normal so that updates will work. Should not be a big issue but it will mean another mvapp release coming soon.
    Last edited by xorg; 12/30/2009 at 02:01 PM.
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by atalbert View Post
    It appears you need to use EMH if you are not able to install apps from the App Catalog. If you use EMH, then you also need to do 'mvapp postupd' as EMH breaks the mvapp links.
    Last edited by xorg; 12/30/2009 at 01:59 PM.
    I am unable to download from the official app catalog which is the reason i am using the EMT and the mvapp postupd. If everything is working for you including dowloading from the app catalog then i probably would leave things the way they are for you guys. Just my opinion.
    The 'mvapp postupd' copies apps directly to the cryptofs. It seems all is fine unless doing the EMH, so I thought it was an EMH issue. So it appears the apps still work but updates would likely not work unless deleting/reinstalling the app.

To restore back to /var, you can do a 'mvapp restoreall'. And then do EMH. However you'd need enough space on /var to hold all of the moved apps.

After doing postupd, the apps still exist in /media/internal/.apps... These could be unlinked a few at a time (mvapp unlink) and then use the EMH for each set of apps copied.

Edit: I'm checking with Rod on this. In the meantime, it doesn't hurt to do postupd to get the apps up and running. Will work with Rod on how to get the ipkg lists back to normal so that updates will work. Should not be a big issue but it will mean another mvapp release coming soon.
    When you do a mvapp postupd it will move all the app data to /media/cryptofs/apps. Sure you can run your apps, but the ipkg data never gets migrated because they are being thrown outside of the scope of the Luna app migration process. This leaves all the ipkg data in /var, therefore you cannot see the apps as installed in Preware. I don't know what effects if any this will have with updating apps via the catalog as well because now you are in the situation where the app data and the ipkg data for the app is in two different offline root areas.

Taking into account the space limitation on var, I believe that at the least the process for this could add a step to copy only the appinfo.json's back into /var, then restart Luna to migrate all the apps (which will handle all the ipkg data) and then run the postupd to get the app data into /media/cryptofs/apps

-Eric G

WebOS Internals Developer.
    Follow me on Twitter for updates to my projects: | Virtual Keyboard | wIRC | SuperTux | AUPT | KeyBoss | freeTether |

Donate
    I can't download from the app catalog but I don't see anything in there that i want yet so i will wait on the sidelines before using mvapp postupd or the EMT. All my linked apps show up in my launcher and i'm able to use them for now. I will wait to you guys smarter than myself figure this mess out lol. I'm gonna keep an eye on this thread and see what the final solution turns out to be.
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast