Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast

This is way more difficult then I thought it would be. It's a cool app though.
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    mvapp 0.3.9 was released on PreWare today. If it doesn't show in PreWare Updates, search for the app in PreWare to install again.

It has a new 'backup' command as a safety precaution to prepare for any future webOS updates. It's not crucial to run this but it's an option. You can run now but better to run just before performing the next webOS update. It will create large app/email backup files in the USB media drive. You can see them from USB drive if you'd like to delete at a later time.

mvapp backup

Creates these backup files in /media/internal (the USB media drive)...

varappbackups.tgz
    mediaemail.tgz
    mediaappbackups.tgz

The new mvapp also creates a backup of itself called 'mvappd'. This is just in case the next webOS update kills 'mvapp'. I'm not expecting that, but it's a possibility. You'll still have a copy around. Just running mvapp with no commands will make the backup copy.

It will create a new mvapp backup as /usr/local/bin/mvappd.

More info coming later whenever a new webOS update is released.
    xorg tools - power tools for power users
    Thank you OP! Took 2 minutes and totally fixed my pre

Was ordering Fandango and couldn't load lol - movie in 5 minutes!
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    I have no idea when the next webOS will be released but all mvapp users should upgrade to at least mvapp 0.4.0, which can be found on PreWare. It provides additional commands per below.

BTW, I can't confirm but if you have linked email, there's a very high chance it will not be impacted by future webOS update. You can highly likely keep email linked after upgrade. Will confirm day of release.

Prepping for next webOS update
    There's a pretty good chance the next webOS update (according to PreCentral article) will address the app limit storage issues, which means 'mvapp' will likely not be needed from that point on.

Best Case Scenario:
    There is the possibility that mvapp linked apps will be compatible with next webOS update. It may be able to maintain the links with the new app storage method. If the case, you can do nothing or 'mvapp restoreall' after the update. We won't know for certain (those under NDA can't disclose) until the day the next update is released.

Otherwise, you have 3 options...

Option 1:
    Anytime before upgrading webOS, you can perform a 'mvapp restoreall' (ra) to restore apps back to the original /var location.

However if you have accumulated dozens of apps and/or a large amount of email, you may not be able to restore fully and have enough room for the upgrade. You may need to do some cleanup by removing apps that you do not use. After the update, you will be able to reinstall your deleted apps. Check space after restoreall with 'mvapp diag', 'var used' should be below 125MB. If not and you have issues applying the next webOS update, recommend linking apps again until 'var used' below 125MB and then do option 2 or 3.

Option 2:
    You can run a backup of all of your linked apps to media drive before performing the webOS update. If you've linked more apps since backup, need to run the backup again. Best to run just before webOS update if possible.

mvapp backup
    (or shortcut 'm b')

After the webOS update is complete, check if your apps still work. If not, do...

mvapp restorebk
    (or shortcut 'm rb')

Option 3:
    If the next webOS update is applied before you have a chance to do Option 1 or 2, do the following command...

mvapp postupd

This will copy all of your linked apps to the new app home location.

Follow this thread for more details. The first post of this thread will be updated with any new information as well

Note: If battery isn't fully charged, you should charge the phone while performing any of the above operations.
    Is there a way to see how much space you are taking up on the media drive through mvapp so that you can determine if you will be able to move them all back before you attempted to restore them all back?
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    ^Not accurately. The problem is that the media drive uses larger blocks so an app that is 1MB on /var might be 2-4MB on /media.

If you want to do Option 1, do a 'restoreall' but leave email linked. Check 'diag' and if you 'var used' is over 125MB, start moving (or removing) apps that you rarely use until 'var used' is less than 125MB.

Otherwise, Option 2 is a pretty safe way to go. Option 3 will likely work fine though - that is, if you do nothing until after the os update.
    do we have to do anything for the 1.3.5 update?

i llike to get an answer before I do the upgrade...
    Quote Originally Posted by trim81 View Post
    do we have to do anything for the 1.3.5 update?

i llike to get an answer before I do the upgrade...
    See post #184 in this thread.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    I guess I'll be the first guinea pig for this and install 1.3.5 with all my moved email/apps from mvapp as is and see what happens. I'll post my results here!
    I followed your directions....

1. used terminal to do mvapp backup

2. installed 1.3.5 update

3. used terminal to do mvapp restorebk

looks like everything is back and all working.

Curious.. did this move all apps to where .3.5 would normally store them or dud it move them back to bein linked as before?
    Hmm, well I did the 1.3.5 update just fine with my email and a ton of apps linked. I confirmed that they all still worked fine after it was all completed. However, I am now performing a 'mvapp restoreall' and then 'mvapp unlinkemail' and it appears that the restoreall is actually moving my apps back to \var and closing in on the limit. I was hoping they'd be moving to the new location, so not sure what to do now.. Is email going to do the same thing?

Update: Yep, they do go back to the original Var location rather than the new media location they are now going to. This isn't a good thing. Ideally, if you have a bunch of sym links, you should just leave them as is since they work just fine. Do not restoreall or you'll bring more trouble upon yourself. I'm trying to delete apps now from var and reinstall from app catalog to the new location as my var is very full now and my email hasn't been unlinked yet either. This makes me wonder, Rod, is Preware going to be filling up the Var folder again with homebrew apps or will it now be pointing to the new folder App Catalog goes to?
    Last edited by volcom45; 12/28/2009 at 09:57 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by volcom45 View Post
    Hmm, well I did the 1.3.5 update just fine with my email and a ton of apps linked. I confirmed that they all still worked fine after it was all completed. However, I am now performing a 'mvapp restoreall' and then 'mvapp unlinkemail' and it appears that the restoreall is actually moving my apps back to \var and closing in on the limit. I was hoping they'd be moving to the new location, so not sure what to do now.. Is email going to do the same thing?

Update: Yep, they do go back to the original Var location rather than the new media location they are now going to. This isn't a good thing. Ideally, if you have a bunch of sym links, you should just leave them as is since they work just fine. Do not restoreall or you'll bring more trouble upon yourself. I'm trying to delete apps now from var and reinstall from app catalog to the new location as my var is very full now and my email hasn't been unlinked yet either. This makes me wonder, Rod, is Preware going to be filling up the Var folder again with homebrew apps or will it now be pointing to the new folder App Catalog goes to?
    Use the Luna Manager app Luna Restart option to trigger the Palm migration to the new area.

Preware already knows (from 0.9.24 onwards) to install to the new area if it exists.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Preware and webOS 1.3.5 status: http://bit.ly/preware-135-status

-- Rod
    After the 1.3.5 update, my Pre lost all of the linked apps. It also lost MVAPP.

Running MVAPP in the terminal says "mvapp not found"

Edit: Solved. Navigated to: /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/org.webosinternals.mvapp
    and ran mvapp postupd from there.
    Last edited by dbtrade; 12/29/2009 at 07:53 AM.
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    Hello everyone. I'm on vacation... was in Santiago, Chile, now in Florida. Not back home in KC til New Years. Kinda disappointing that Palm released 1.3.5 in middle of the holidays as it is difficult for developers to support their apps.

I'm just now updating to 1.3.5. Will post followup after I have a chance to see how the update behaves.

In the meantime, before updating to 1.3.5...

- Run PreWare and make sure you download the latest mvapp 0.4.0 or higher
    - If battery isn't charged, charge will doing the following...
    - Run 'mvapp backup' from Terminal (may take long time to complete)
    - Run Update and update to webOS 1.3.5
    - Run 'mvapp restorebk'

See post #190.
    Last edited by xorg; 12/29/2009 at 08:40 AM.
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    Before doing anything, run 'mvapp d'. Check that 'var avail' is at least 60MB. If not, you need to link or delete apps otherwise the update won't have enough space to download.

Do not run 'mvapp restoreall' AFTER the webOS update, use 'mvapp backup' before update then 'mvapp restorebk' after webOS update. Checking if 'mvapp postupd' works.. waiting for my Pre to complete the update.
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    Good news! It appears that webOS 1.3.5 is _completely_ compatible with mvapp. I did not have to do anything before or after the update. All app links and email links previously created by mvapp still work after the webOS update.

Can anyone else please confirm? For those who did nothing, do your linked apps and email still work?

Option 1 in first post is not necessary and better off not doing it. Option 2 and 3 will still work if you'd like to do so but they are not necessary.

More later...
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dbtrade View Post
    After the 1.3.5 update, my Pre lost all of the linked apps. It also lost MVAPP.

Running MVAPP in the terminal says "mvapp not found"

Edit: Solved. Navigated to: /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/org.webosinternals.mvapp
    and ran mvapp postupd from there.
    yep, this worked for me. thanks!
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xorg View Post
    Can anyone else please confirm? For those who did nothing, do your linked apps and email still work?
    before running EPH, yes. after, no. meaning, email etc worked but i lost tons of apps. did the above post and got them all back just fine.
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    For those who get a 'mvapp not found', try running the mvapp backup...

mvappd

Note the d on end.

Or, go into PreWare, find 'mvapp', remove it then reinstall.
    Last edited by xorg; 12/29/2009 at 12:27 PM.