1.    #1  
    Could someone please help me with the uninstall/install of the virtual keyboard?

I tried to install the VK and it failed to work. So I went into Preware and it only had an option to install. I went in using WEBOSQuickinstall and it will not allow me to delete, nor will it allow me to install. I ran the Emergency Patch Recovery, undid all other patches except this. Ran WebOS Repair Utility to no avail either.

This is the error that I get

Code:
    Failed
    ErrorGenericMethodException: Failure during 'postinst' operation
    patching file usr/palm/frameworks/mojo/builtins/palmInitFramework200_18.jsjsjs
    $patching$ $file$ /$usr$/$palm$/$frameworks$/$mojo$/$submissions$/$200$.$18$/$resources$/$da_dk$/$kbchars_fulltable_azerty$.$json$
    $patching$ $file$ /$usr$/$palm$/$frameworks$/$mojo$/$submissions$/$200$.$18$/$resources$/$da_dk$/$kbchars_fulltable_qwertz$.$json$
    It then repeats this for awhile. It then begins saying:

Code:
    The next patch would create the file usr/palm/frameworks/mojo/submissions/200.18/templates/kbselector/char.html, which already exists! Assume -R? [n]
    Apply anyway? [n]
    Skipping patch.
    1 out of 1 hunk ignored - saving rejects to file usr/palm/frameworks/mojo/submissions/200.18/templates/kbselector/char.html.rej
    The next patch.....

This continues on for numerous command lines.

What do I need to do to uninstall and then reinstall so the keyboard works properly? FYI The virtual keyboard has never worked on my Pre.

Looked at the other threads and didnt find an answer. Thanks for your help.
    hook your phone up to computer usb mode and look in there for the virtual keyboard folder and delete it then go into preware on your phone and install it . it should be that easy. if there is no folder in ur phone then it never installed correctly .
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    if you go into web os QI ,tools , device management , to the right click on applications and scroll to the bottom and if you see virtual keyboard then uninstall right there
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    hook your phone up to computer usb mode and look in there for the virtual keyboard folder and delete it then go into preware on your phone and install it . it should be that easy. if there is no folder in ur phone then it never installed correctly .

The folder in usb mode has nothing to do with installation errors. Never has, never will. It only contains theme images and configuration.

The problem is somehow a file that was created by a previous install was not removed. Try running EPR, or manually removing the files that are stuck around.

-Eric G

WebOS Internals Developer.
    Follow me on Twitter for updates to my projects: | Virtual Keyboard | wIRC | SuperTux | AUPT | KeyBoss | freeTether |

Donate
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by emoney_33 View Post
    The folder in usb mode has nothing to do with installation errors. Never has, never will. It only contains theme images and configuration.

The problem is somehow a file that was created by a previous install was not removed. Try running EPR, or manually removing the files that are stuck around.
    Eric,

Thanks for the cut to the chase. I tried EPR to no avail. How would I manually search for the errors? Is there a place to look at the code?

Thanks.
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    i also am having the same issue
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    I have the same issue, can someone please help me figure this out!
    Quote Originally Posted by inlight96 View Post
    Eric,

Thanks for the cut to the chase. I tried EPR to no avail. How would I manually search for the errors? Is there a place to look at the code?

Thanks.

For this case you should be able to easily remove the files from a terminal. (novaterm from PC or terminal app installed via preware).

First you want to mount the filesystem as writeable, which you can do with the terminal command:

Code:
    mount -o rw,remount /
    Next for any file that you get the message "The next patch would create the file <file>...", you want to remove that file. You can do this by the following terminal command:

Code:
    rm <file>
    PS: Make sure the <file> is prefixed with / (the output for example says usr/palm..., but you want to remove /usr/palm...)

Then you can remount your filesystem back to read-only for security, by issuing the terminal command:

Code:
    mount -o ro,remount /

-Eric G

Follow me on Twitter for updates to my projects: | Virtual Keyboard | wIRC | SuperTux | AUPT | KeyBoss | freeTether |

Donate
    i installed virtual keyboard via preware but Its not working correctly. I've installed and removed several times as well. I can get the virtual keyboard to come up by double tapping on the gesture screen while i'm in the menu app page. As soon as i exit out of it to desktop or change cards it exits away with the menu screen
  10. mk3
    Global Posts
    622 Global Posts
    Save problem here, appears to be not writing over existing files during the re-installation. Eric thanks for the instructions, I will give that a try in the morning but I really don't anything about the Linux stuff. arrrrrr!

[EDIT:] Couldn't wait, figured out how to do the root thing and typed in the rm commands and that did the trick. THANK YOU ERIC!

Maybe since lots of people are having this problem the install script could just be re-written to delete or write over existing files???
    Last edited by mk3; 10/24/2009 at 01:21 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by vincey2kr1 View Post
    i installed virtual keyboard via preware but Its not working correctly. I've installed and removed several times as well. I can get the virtual keyboard to come up by double tapping on the gesture screen while i'm in the menu app page. As soon as i exit out of it to desktop or change cards it exits away with the menu screen
    The VK does not stay open all the time. You need to open it in each card each time you open the card.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mk3 View Post
    Maybe since lots of people are having this problem the install script could just be re-written to delete or write over existing files???
    I'm wondering why each patch isn't constructed this way? If trying to install a patch, and it finds previous files there, it should automatically overwrite those files so the patch will apply.

Would probably save some people from damaging their phones when trying to mount and delete stuff manually.
    I had the same issue, files being already found. Well, I was nervous about using the Terminal app, but I figured if I took my time, and followed emoney_33's instructions, all would be fine. I did, and they are.
    I used the Terminal app, is there a way to ensure your pre is back in read-only? I wrote the command line: mount -o ro,remount / Am I to just assume that it's back to read-only?
    Quote Originally Posted by sallyboy View Post
    I used the Terminal app, is there a way to ensure your pre is back in read-only? I wrote the command line: mount -o ro,remount / Am I to just assume that it's back to read-only?
    If you didn't receive an error you can be confident it is.

(BTW: It will come up read-only after a reboot but that isn't necessary unless just to ease your mind)

-Eric G

Donate
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    I have dozens of VK files that have to be removed from my Pre. The terminal method would probably work for me since I re-installed multi mod in a similar fashion... I was wondering if there is any way to delete multiple files simultaniously via terminal or perhaps a copy/paste feature?
    This thread is outdated.

Install the OBSOLETE Virtual Keyboard package to remove all created VKB files.

-Eric G

Donate
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by emoney_33 View Post
    This thread is outdated.

Install the OBSOLETE Virtual Keyboard package to remove all created VKB files.
    Thanks! I wasn't able to find that solution anywhere... It saved me a bunch of time.
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    How do I install the OBSOLETE virtual keyboard? I am having the same problem.

Thanks.
    como hacer que funcione el virtual keyboard ya lo instale pero no se como sacarlo