Page 1 of 27 12345611 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have created a small advanced homebrew application called "Fair Dinkum App Limit", which removes the 64MiB arbitrary limit on the number of applications that you can install. Note that the safety net limit of 100MiB free space is not removed. Use the MvApp program, or the Meta-Doctor to increase the available free space in your /var partition.

To use it, you must first install Preware. You can either use WebOS Quick Install to do that (make sure you follow the instructions correctly), or you might like to alpha test one of the new Preware stand-alone installers at http://get.preware.org ... (please don't ask for help with the alpha installers in this thread, just use the official instructions instead).

Then use Preware to install Fair Dinkum App Limit. Search for it in the List of Everything.

That's all you need to do. As long as it is installed, the arbitrary limit on application installation will be disabled.

Please do not call this app "FDAL" - use "fairdinkum" as the short form if you must.

If you want to show your thanks, please feel free to .

Note that the naming credits for this app go to fellow aussie Tim Carroll from PalmInfocenter.com:

22:25 rwhitby: ok, the prototype for fixing both problems works. Now to think of a good name and package it up.
    22:25 freakout: PhatVar
    22:26 rwhitby: I need a name with class and correct spelling.
    22:26 freakout: lol
    22:26 freakout: don't look at me for class
    22:27 rwhitby: and an australian flavour would be good too. oh - something with an australian spelling :-)
    22:27 freakout: lol
    22:27 freakout: my editor *hates* it when i use aussie spelling. "flavour" "colour" etc
    22:27 rwhitby: let's see. colour, aluminium, neighbour, flavour, ...
    22:28 freakout: DrongoFix has no class, but would confuse nicely
    22:28 rwhitby: org.webosinternals.nowukkas
    22:29 freakout: lmao. or perhaps FairDinkum
    22:30 rwhitby: hmm - fairdinkum is not bad
    -- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 10/19/2009 at 09:30 PM.
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Not showing up on Preware yet...possibly later today?
    So with this I don't have to turn off all the feeds in preware in order to get app catalog to download?
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by guerillatwang View Post
    Not showing up on Preware yet...possibly later today?
    It's there right now - I suspect you forgot to "Update Feeds".

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by OneDeep View Post
    So with this I don't have to turn off all the feeds in preware in order to get app catalog to download?
    That is correct.

-- Rod
    you guys are flat out amazing.... thank you so much. works!
    Brilliant! Mods...make this a sticky. Perhaps that will prevent 100 new threads about this every day.
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    I checked Preware and there is nothing there yet. This is an app that I have been waiting for.
    right, i've checked preware and i'm not seeing it either. I'm gonna check once more...

edit: it shows up only in the "List of Everything"
    Works great! And to all those that dont see it make sure to update feeds. Or you can search for it under list of everything.
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Not showing up for me either. But thanks for all the effort put in, this is awesome.
    I had trouble finding it, then I just selected "List Everything" and it was right there on top. It's under the WebOS Internals Feed, Linux Applications, Utilities.
    Symbol SPT1500 (Palm III w/laser barcode scanner) -> Treo 600 -> Treo 755p -> Pre
    I have updated feeds four times now and still not there.
    If you feel that I have given you worthy advice please feel free to show your support. TY

what will happen for web os updates with this installed?

if this was everuninstalled, what would happen?

just curious. thanks
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    I've made sure I am running the latest preware, and made sure to refresh the feeds, and I don't see it anywhere in Preware yet either
    Just donated--will install momentarily. Thanks! {Jonathan}
    Prof. Jonathan I. Ezor
    Writer, PreCentral
    Past Palm Real Reviewer
    @webOSquire on Twitter
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by twentythreemx View Post
    what will happen for web os updates with this installed?

if this was everuninstalled, what would happen?

just curious. thanks
    Fair Dinkum App Limit is impervious to webOS updates. You do *not* need to remove it. Yes, you heard that right. A fantastic solution like this, and you do *not* need to touch it across webOS updates.

If you uninstall it, then you're back to the 64MB app limit. If that ever happens accidentally, just reinstall it.

-- Rod
    Awesome, this was one of the biggest issues right now. Now I'll just wait for the app that lets my phone last a full day (and that doesn't include an app that just turns my phone off).

Holding off on the awesome part until I can get it to work. Installed Fair Dinkum fine, but when I try to install from the app cat, I'm getting a "Download Failed".

OK, reboot fixed it for me. I now have the Aces Hold'Em game I haven't been able to get. Thanks!
    Last edited by utdps; 10/12/2009 at 11:16 AM.
    wow it worked wow!!!!!
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

Global Posts
    165 Global Posts
    this works! Thanks so much. This prevented me from selling my pre
Page 1 of 27 12345611 ... LastLast